iTunes kids accounts

Squidzit

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My family all have Apple devices. We only have 1 iTunes account that my wife, son daughter and myself share. My son doesn't use it much, he's more into Xbox. My daughter (13) has recently decided to start buying her own albums. She has bought 2 so far. Couple of questions I have:

1. Should we set up her own iTunes account?

2. Can she take the albums she has bought on our account to her new account? Would she have to buy the albums again?

Thanks! :)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Great Questions ... I too have my family on one iTunes account, this way I only have to purchase apps 1 time, however there are some consequences i.e.; Game Center being limited to 1 user (so you share the same connections and high scores) however I think the positives outweigh the negatives. As far as music, they won't sync up however you can download the songs to iTunes and then re upload them to your child's device. For me it's just easier to keep everyone on the same account. I also use iTunes Match which keeps all of our music in sync.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My family all have Apple devices. We only have 1 iTunes account that my wife, son daughter and myself share. My son doesn't use it much, he's more into Xbox. My daughter (13) has recently decided to start buying her own albums. She has bought 2 so far. Couple of questions I have:

1. Should we set up her own iTunes account?

2. Can she take the albums she has bought on our account to her new account? Would she have to buy the albums again?

Thanks! :)

With families who all have Apple devices, I always recommend the following:

1. Create one Apple ID strictly for purchases. By doing so, everyone can have apps, music and videos without having to purchase them multiple times.
2. Create separate Apple ID/iCloud accounts to maintain a bit of privacy. You do not want your iMessages going to your kids devices and vice versa.

With that in mind, my recommendation to question #1 is YES, set up her own Apple ID. You can always place restrictions on her device like disabling her ability to disable the "Find My iPhone" feature.
For #2, yes, if she logs into to the iTunes & App Store using the old Apple ID.

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
What I did was everyone has their own Apple ID but I hold the password. This way everyone has their own music and apps but I'm the one ok'ing the purchases.

Squidzit

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I like your approach Janey G!

We are getting ready to look at colleges for my son as he is a junior. That got me thinking...what happens when they move out and start buying their own music. When they get married. Have kids.

They need to get their own account eventually right? If they CAN take the things they bought on my account to their account, then I would wait until they are a bit older to make their own accounts.

If they CAN'T take their stuff and would have to buy it all over again on their own account, wouldn't it be best to just get them started on their own account?

Hope that makes sense. :)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
With families who all have Apple devices, I always recommend the following:

1. Create one Apple ID strictly for purchases. By doing so, everyone can have apps, music and videos without having to purchase them multiple times.
2. Create separate Apple ID/iCloud accounts to maintain a bit of privacy. You do not want your iMessages going to your kids devices and vice versa.

With that in mind, my recommendation to question #1 is YES, set up her own Apple ID. You can always place restrictions on her device like disabling her ability to disable the "Find My iPhone" feature.
For #2, yes, if she logs into to the iTunes & App Store using the old Apple ID.

this is what we did for my nephew-

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711