I asked this question a year or two ago and hope maybe things have changed. My wife and I each have our own iTunes accounts, so if I buy a book in my account I cannot share it with my wife. Same is true if she buys an iBook. She cannot share it with me. On the other hand, if she buys a book on her Kindle account it is very easy for me to read it on my Kindle App. Consequently, we always buy our ebooks from Amazon. Apple is being stupid in my view. Or maybe I am wrong about this and we could share iBooks. Why not allow sharing between two preselected accounts. Is there a way I am missing? Am I the only one who is unhappy about this?

Thanks,

Ed Brady
    12-10-2013 10:19 PM
    I have purchased only a few iBooks and none since I had my iPhone 4S because I usually read books via my Kindle Paperwhite. Having said that, are you not able to share an Apple ID specifically for purchases while using separate Apple IDs for everything else? Doing so will allow you to download and install whatever either or you have purchased, automatically, if you want.
    12-10-2013 10:29 PM
    Just use the same Apple ID for the AppStore and iBooks store. Then you can share the books. Just like you use the same Amazon account logging into the Kindle app.
    12-11-2013 08:04 AM
    Yep, you'll have to use the same Apple ID especially if you want iBooks synced across devices. I haven't seen much of a reason to have a separate ID from wife regarding app store (which ibooks is part of in settings). In fact, it would seem to be more of a problem than a benefit.

You can however just log out, log in her ID (settings, app store), download what you need (ibooks, apps, etc), then log back in as you. At least you can for apps. Haven't tried this with books but don't see why it wouldn't work.
    12-11-2013 08:28 AM
    I asked this question a year or two ago and hope maybe things have changed. My wife and I each have our own iTunes accounts, so if I buy a book in my account I cannot share it with my wife. Same is true if she buys an iBook. She cannot share it with me. On the other hand, if she buys a book on her Kindle account it is very easy for me to read it on my Kindle App. Consequently, we always buy our ebooks from Amazon. Apple is being stupid in my view. Or maybe I am wrong about this and we could share iBooks. Why not allow sharing between two preselected accounts. Is there a way I am missing? Am I the only one who is unhappy about this?

Thanks,

Ed Brady
    12-14-2013 02:02 PM