Sharing iBooks

Edbrady

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I asked this question a year or two ago and hope maybe things have changed. My wife and I each have our own iTunes accounts, so if I buy a book in my account I cannot share it with my wife. Same is true if she buys an iBook. She cannot share it with me. On the other hand, if she buys a book on her Kindle account it is very easy for me to read it on my Kindle App. Consequently, we always buy our ebooks from Amazon. Apple is being stupid in my view. Or maybe I am wrong about this and we could share iBooks. Why not allow sharing between two preselected accounts. Is there a way I am missing? Am I the only one who is unhappy about this?

Thanks,

Ed Brady

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have purchased only a few iBooks and none since I had my iPhone 4S because I usually read books via my Kindle Paperwhite. Having said that, are you not able to share an Apple ID specifically for purchases while using separate Apple IDs for everything else? Doing so will allow you to download and install whatever either or you have purchased, automatically, if you want.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yep, you'll have to use the same Apple ID especially if you want iBooks synced across devices. I haven't seen much of a reason to have a separate ID from wife regarding app store (which ibooks is part of in settings). In fact, it would seem to be more of a problem than a benefit.

You can however just log out, log in her ID (settings, app store), download what you need (ibooks, apps, etc), then log back in as you. At least you can for apps. Haven't tried this with books but don't see why it wouldn't work.

Taniguchi Tsugumi

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I asked this question a year or two ago and hope maybe things have changed. My wife and I each have our own iTunes accounts, so if I buy a book in my account I cannot share it with my wife. Same is true if she buys an iBook. She cannot share it with me. On the other hand, if she buys a book on her Kindle account it is very easy for me to read it on my Kindle App. Consequently, we always buy our ebooks from Amazon. Apple is being stupid in my view. Or maybe I am wrong about this and we could share iBooks. Why not allow sharing between two preselected accounts. Is there a way I am missing? Am I the only one who is unhappy about this?

Thanks,

Ed Brady

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2