Hi All,

It is my understanding that Apple recommends a full charge and full discharge (let the battery drain completely) every few months. Is this correct?
    12-04-2013 01:29 PM
    Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Maximum Battery Life*

iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c offer up to 10 hours of talk time on 3G, 8 hours of Internet use on 3G, 10 hours of Internet use on Wi-Fi, 10 hours of video playback, or 40 hours of audio playback on a full charge at original capacity. In addition, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c feature up to 250 hours of standby time.
    Charge Cycles

A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.
    Cases and Charging

Charging your iPhone while in certain carrying cases may generate excess heat, which can affect battery capacity. If you notice that your iPhone gets hot when you charge it, take it out of its case first.
    12-04-2013 01:33 PM
    Hi All,

It is my understanding that Apple recommends a full charge and full discharge (let the battery drain completely) every few months. Is this correct?
    Hi Trick or Device
    I think what they are talking about is a charge cycle. A charging cycle is the time between a full charge and when you gasp that your battery is on the red zone lol!
    You can partially charge or discharge in between as many times as you want and still be in one charging cycle. The newer Lithium batteries don't have any memory effect either.
    I have also read the recommendation to drain the battery and recharge completely periodically, it keeps those little electrons happy and that works for me!
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    12-04-2013 02:36 PM
    Thanks for the replies...I guess my main question is this: does it harm the iPhones battery to let the battery drain to the point of shutting itself off? or is this in fact good for the battery?
    12-04-2013 03:43 PM
    Thanks for the replies...I guess my main question is this: does it harm the iPhones battery to let the battery drain to the point of shutting itself off? or is this in fact good for the battery?
    Occasionally won't hurt. Every time isn't good for the battery.
    12-04-2013 05:44 PM
    I try once a month to let it drain all the way.
    12-04-2013 06:02 PM
    Great. I've done it twice since September. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming it.
    12-04-2013 06:58 PM
    No everyone including Apple and any battery savvy person will tell you a charge cycle or cycling your battery every so often until your device phone or other iDevice is a good idea. I do it actually at least one time a month. It will not hurt the device one bit.
    12-04-2013 07:10 PM