Because i got my iPhone in Japan (iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3), it is expected that I can only use it in Japan. And since I have to leave Japan for education in the Philippines, my parents cut the phone. When I asked what cutting a phone is, they said that the phone can't already be used in Japan when texting and calling. Now when we are leaving, they are repeatedly saying that I should "Open Line" the phone here in the Philippines so that I can use it here. Do I really need to "open line" the phone? By the way, when I checked the carrier, it was the carrier that I get from Japan, and I think my phone is based on SoftBank.

Waiting for your reply.
    12-02-2013 05:44 AM
    Opening a line, to my knowledge is the same as unlocking your phone, as for needing it I would get it because if and when you return from Japan the phone won't work on any of the phone lines in the Philippines.

Tappin and talkin from my iPhone 4
    12-02-2013 07:01 AM
    SoftBank phones are notoriously hard to unlock, whether officially or not. The only way to be sure is to stick a non-Japanese SIM card in the phone. If it works, yay. If not, you can look into buying an unlock, but that can get very expensive.
    12-02-2013 07:02 AM