iPhone mic breakout not quite working.

XOIIO

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I made a mic breakout for my iphone so that I could hook it up to the Sure UC wireless mic system I scored, but, something odd happens. It picks up from the 3.5mil audio jack but it also records from the internal mic and with both on, the sound cuts out a bit. Without any other sound this is what it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4xsada2ic39gxs/Memo.m4a

I heard that iphones detect microphones based on impedance, and I know eff all about audio but since this is a high quality audio system is it possible that the impedance of the output is just too low? I guess it could also be because I'm not directly hooked to the mic but rather the audio output that maybe that is part of it. When hooked to speakers it is crystal clear though.

Would some sort of pull down resistor help?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. What is a "mic breakout"?
2. Does "scored" equate to purchased?
3. As for the question, "Is it possible that the impedance of the output is just too low?", I suppose so, but I can't say with any certainty.
4. In regard to, "Would some sort of pull down resistor help?", I suppose it could, but again, I can't say for certain. Do you have a pull down resistor that you can score and test out?