Since a few days I have a problem with a MacBook 2008 (metal case) when booting.

Indeed when powering the MB it shows a white screen with very thin vertical lines in different colours. Those thin lines all disappear after about 20-30 seconds when the screen becomes all white (and will stay like that).

When trying to boot on a DVD (I thought it might be the harddisk that had crashed) one can hear that the Drive is reading on it -it is also possible to eject- but this keeps the above described scenario for the white screen unchanged.

Anybody has experienced & solved the same?

Any tip or solution for solving, other then bringing it to the technicians, will be appreciated.
    11-16-2013 07:46 AM
    I'm assuming when you're booting from your DVD, you're holding down the "Option" button, correct?

If so, try holding Command + R when booting to see if it will get you to your disc utility function and try to repair your disk.

Truthfully, it could be so many different things it would be hard for us to pinpoint an exact cause here. Apple will look at your computer for free if you make an appointment...they may not fix it for free, but they'll tell you what is going on (and sometimes, if you're nice to them, they might even fix it under a complimentary service).
    11-16-2013 09:44 AM
    Hi,

Have been removing the batterie for 12 hours, then checked again by

trying to press CMD-P and CMD-R at startup, but situation unchanged

As suggested on some sites on internet.

Any other combination of keys that could help ...
    11-17-2013 07:15 AM
    Take it in to Apple or an Apple certified repair shop
    11-17-2013 10:03 AM
    Brought it to an Apple certified repairshop.

The technician identified an issue (no details given) with the screen. The repair proposal was to replace the screen for +-630USD

Defintely too much for a late 2008 MacBook, especially considering that the screen had already been replaced (for +-500USD and different symptoms) about 18 months ago.

As not repaired, the technician proposed to use it as a "desktop"; i.e. connecting an external screen.
    12-17-2013 05:25 PM
    Brought it to an Apple certified repairshop.

The technician identified an issue (no details given) with the screen. The repair proposal was to replace the screen for +-630USD

Defintely too much for a late 2008 MacBook, especially considering that the screen had already been replaced (for +-500USD and different symptoms) about 18 months ago.

As not repaired, the technician proposed to use it as a "desktop"; i.e. connecting an external screen.
    My MacBook early 2009 model is still functioning well and is currently running OS X Mavericks, however, the display is malfunctioning and I've been using an external monitor and will continue to use one until I decide to fork over money for a new MacBook Pro. There is no way that I will spend hundreds to replace the display. It's just not worth it, in my situation. It's a pain to not be able to move freely from location to location, but the trade-off is still being able to use the device as a whole so I can't be too upset about it. Know what I mean?
    12-17-2013 05:33 PM