iMac shutting down abruptly at random.

CamKrohn

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey iMore peeps, ever since I installed Mavericks on my 2011 iMac it has been random shutting down at random, and it will not turn back on after the shutdown. Since Mavericks install this has happened 4 times, the first two came back on after I unplugged the power cord and tried a new outlet, on the 3rd time it was off for over 24 hours no outlet change or removal of the power cord helped. At this time I had an appt. with a genius and of course as soon as we removed the iMac it worked flawlessly, however they still ran diagnostics and checked power cord and came back clean as a whistle. Two days of normal use after it has happened again twice, seems if I unplug the cord immediately after shutdown it will come back on after about 15 min. I am writing this question now right after a restart and I will end it here just incase its about to shut down.

Any help would be great, reinstall mavericks? ( don't have a back up or a way to back up... is this a must or just a strong recommendation (talking about back up) call Apple? it is still under Apple Care.

THANK YOU

-Cameron

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, this has been happening to what I would consider to be a lot of people on several different machines. Some have it on their iMacs, some have it on their MacBooks and well others have no issues at all. You can try reinstalling Mavericks or taking it to the Genius Bar and see if they can diagnose it any better but given the circumstances and how many people it has become an issue for, I think the issue is in Mavericks itself so either or may not get you any further ahead really and telling you to wait for a Mavericks update is less than ideal. Personally, I would just leave Mavericks alone and go to the Genius Bar. They might have a fix that isn't widely known as of yet or possibly get you a new machine to check out and see if it suffers from the same issues. Whatever you decide, I hope you get the issue sorted out.

CamKrohn

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Chris, It happened today again, but has been running ok for a few hours, going to schedule another appt. for saturday.

Thanks for the Reply

-Cam

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods