Complicated issue...

Four years ago I bought my iPhone 3g. I am fairly computer illiterate so my husband kindly spent hours copying our CD collection to iTunes under his name then loaded the music to my 3g phone via 'his' account (he does not own an iPhone).

Yesterday I upgraded to a 5s. I created my own iTunes a/c, backup'ed the 3g phone, with all the music, installed the 5s, then attempted to backup the 3g music to the 5s using iTunes. All OSs are up to date, but it didn't work - seems to not recognize both phones. I don't really understand it, but after 5 hours I gave up and installed the 5s as a 'new phone' - at least I was able to initialize the new phone and am now able to use it albeit without any music on it.

We all know how time consuming and/or costly it can be getting the music onto your device, but I do not understand why our personal CD recordings on the computer cannot be uploaded to my new phone. Some help from your savy-tek-types would be appreciated.
    11-03-2013 08:26 AM
    Complicated issue...

Four years ago I bought my iPhone 3g. I am fairly computer illiterate so my husband kindly spent hours copying our CD collection to iTunes under his name then loaded the music to my 3g phone via 'his' account (he does not own an iPhone).

Yesterday I upgraded to a 5s. I created my own iTunes a/c, backup'ed the 3g phone, with all the music, installed the 5s, then attempted to backup the 3g music to the 5s using iTunes. All OSs are up to date, but it didn't work - seems to not recognize both phones. I don't really understand it, but after 5 hours I gave up and installed the 5s as a 'new phone' - at least I was able to initialize the new phone and am now able to use it albeit without any music on it.

We all know how time consuming and/or costly it can be getting the music onto your device, but I do not understand why our personal CD recordings on the computer cannot be uploaded to my new phone. Some help from your savy-tek-types would be appreciated.
    If all of the music is on your computer and shows up in iTunes, it's likely that "Sync Music" has not been checked under your device in iTunes. When you plug your iPhone into the computer, click on the iPhone in iTunes and click the tab that says 'Music.' Make sure that sync music is checked and then add the music to your iPhone on that screen. Hope that helps!
    11-03-2013 10:42 AM