Hi! I recently sold a used AT&T IPhone on Ebay. The buyer recently contacted me an informed me that he can't use AT&T (although I did list it as AT&T) and has asked me to unlock it. Is there anything wrong with unlocking my phone? Will the buyer be able to access my account if I authorize an unlock? Thanks for reading this.
    10-23-2013 08:17 AM
    Assuming it is not on a contract with you, then yes you should be able to call att and get it unlocked.
    10-23-2013 08:28 AM
    If you already sold the iPhone on eBay and the buyer bought it knowing that he didn't have AT&T which is what it was listed as, then he needs to try and get it unlocked. Recently AT&T has made it very hard to get their iPhones unlocked even through third party unlockers. To answer your question though, no, the buyer can not access your account by unlocking it.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    10-23-2013 08:30 AM
    Thanks for your responses. According to the att unlocking link he sent me, i can unlock 5 phones a year so no problem for me. According to your responses, I really have nothing to lose. (a third party cannot unlock the phone). I'm willing to help but wanted to make sure I wasn't being scammed or anything.
    10-23-2013 08:44 AM
    Thanks for your responses. According to the att unlocking link he sent me, i can unlock 5 phones a year so no problem for me. According to your responses, I really have nothing to lose. (a third party cannot unlock the phone). I'm willing to help but wanted to make sure I wasn't being scammed or anything.
    You are welcome and thank you for taking the time to register here at iMore.
    10-23-2013 08:49 AM
    I was attempting to unlock the phone and the att form is asking for the wireless number, Imei number, att password, and las four or ss. Will the new owner see all this info?
    10-23-2013 08:54 AM
    I was attempting to unlock the phone and the att form is asking for the wireless number, Imei number, att password, and las four or ss. Will the new owner see all this info?
    No, the new owner will not see any of that info.
    10-23-2013 09:10 AM
    No the new buyer won't see that. It's just so that ATT can look up your account and make sure the phone isn't under contract before unlocking it.
    10-23-2013 09:22 AM
    I'm confused here OP the link he sent is from AT&T? being able to unlock 5 phones a year sounds kinda fishy to me but maybe I'm wrong. OP instead of doing it over the web why not just call AT&T tell them your phone is off contract and you need to have it unlocked. This way at least you're dealing with a person and you'll know everything is legit.
    10-23-2013 11:50 AM
    I'm confused here OP the link he sent is from AT&T? being able to unlock 5 phones a year sounds kinda fishy to me but maybe I'm wrong. OP instead of doing it over the web why not just call AT&T tell them your phone is off contract and you need to have it unlocked. This way at least you're dealing with a person and you'll know everything is legit.
    No the 5 a year is legit. ATT just means they'll unlock 5 off contract phones for you each year.
    10-23-2013 01:09 PM