Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

I

iMore Question

Hello,

I want to have two totally separate calendars on my iPad. I don't want them to sync or anything.

But every app I look at has to sync to the existing app?

I'm not tech savvy-can anyone help?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm not clever as I searched for Fantastical in the App store and it said no results?

Ok, quick question to make sure we understand what you'd like to do here. I'm understanding it as, you want 2 separate calendar apps so that you can use each one for separate things. Ie. calendar 1 for home items only and Fantastical for work items only. Is this correct?

If that's what your looking to do, then no. It can't be done because every new calendar app you download will want to access the native calendar app that comes preinstalled.

If that's not what your looking to do with 2 separate cal apps, then I apologize for mis-understanding.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can use the native app and add multiple calendars ie
Gmail and iCloud each will sync to each own server and then in the calendar app you can select what calendar to view or view both at once etc.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well as stated, you can create multiple calendars within the stock app and you can switch between them to see each specific calendars events. I had never tried to not sync my calendars into any of my third party calendar apps so I wouldn't have been much help at the start, but hopefully creating multiple calendars can be just as useful as separate apps for you.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity To You

richu75

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You can just use multiple iCloud calendars and deselect one in in each app.

For instance, my fantastical setup:

fantastical.jpg

If I deselect all but 'Home' the others are still available in the default calendar.app.
So if I deselect 'Home' in de calendar.app Fantastical is the default 'Home' calendar.

Tiny-T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You can just use multiple iCloud calendars and deselect one in in each app.

For instance, my fantastical setup:

View attachment 40119

Hi, thankyou but I already use this aspect. I have a couple of businesses and for example the one I use my existing calendar for has a number of different elements that I have made separate 'calendars' for.

I have used all the colours and so wanted another app to use for another business totally separately, to avoid having to de-select 5 or 6 calendars and select 2 others each time I wanted to view the second business' items.

If I deselect all but 'Home' the others are still available in the default calendar.app.
So if I deselect 'Home' in de calendar.app Fantastical is the default 'Home' calendar.

Tiny-T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You can use the native app and add multiple calendars ie
Gmail and iCloud each will sync to each own server and then in the calendar app you can select what calendar to view or view both at once etc.

This would mean less selecting/de-selecting, however I would then need to do everything in gmail yes?

richu75

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thankyou but I already use this aspect. I have a couple of businesses and for example the one I use my existing calendar for has a number of different elements that I have made separate 'calendars' for.

I have used all the colours and so wanted another app to use for another business totally separately, to avoid having to de-select 5 or 6 calendars and select 2 others each time I wanted to view the second business' items.

I dont think you understand me (or maybe it's the other way around ?).

If I deselect all but Home in fantastical, it will become my defacto 'Home calendar'. All home entries have to be made in fantastical.
In de native calendar.app you can make another selection, say everything but Home. That would make the native app my 'Work and events calendar'.

The selection you decide on is not a universal setting for all calendar based apps. You can make as many selections as you have different calendar apps.

Tiny-T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I dont think you understand me (or maybe it's the other way around ?).

If I deselect all but Home in fantastical, it will become my defacto 'Home calendar'. All home entries have to be made in fantastical.
In de native calendar.app you can make another selection, say everything but Home. That would make the native app my 'Work and events calendar'.

The selection you decide on is not a universal setting for all calendar based apps. You can make as many selections as you have different calendar apps.

Ah ok, I think I thought you were just referring to the native app. I didn't realise you could deselect items from the native calendar in the second app.

Is Fantastical the one everyone recommends? Further to that I cannot find it in the app store.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, quick question to make sure we understand what you'd like to do here. I'm understanding it as, you want 2 separate calendar apps so that you can use each one for separate things. Ie. calendar 1 for home items only and Fantastical for work items only. Is this correct?

If that's what your looking to do, then no. It can't be done because every new calendar app you download will want to access the native calendar app that comes preinstalled.

If that's not what your looking to do with 2 separate cal apps, then I apologize for mis-understanding.
When I first installed Fantastical it wanted to access my Native calendar app which I denied permission and can use them independantly and have been for some time. If I have misunderstood your answer I am sorry...LOL :)
Especially sine I use Fantastical for everything, neither one of them pick up what I add to the other.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thankyou, yes that's what my whole post was about.

I want tow totally separate apps that do not sync in any way.
To clarify a point... They all sync YES and pink is right that they want to access the Native app but you don't have to allow it as I said I denied it and I have no trouble using these as 2 seperate apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods