Contact names have disappeared (4s with AT&T)

I

iMore Question

While reading a text this morning the person's name changed to their phone number. Apparently all of my contacts names disappeared also. I have turned the phone off, and restarted it holding both buttons and nothing.

Suggestions?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While reading a text this morning the person's name changed to their phone number. Apparently all of my contacts names disappeared also. I have turned the phone off, and restarted it holding both buttons and nothing.

Suggestions?

Turn off sync for the mail account they are associated with and delete the information from your phone when asked. Afterwards, re-enable the contacts sync. Your contacts as they appear online should re-sync to your device. Create a backup via iCloud and/or iTunes first.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: No luck

OK, I tried that and no luck.

Any other ideas?

Other than going to Settings>General>Reset and then select "Reset Network Settings", and maybe a reboot! I don't know what to tell you. You might want to check to make sure the entity that has your email account isn't having problem.

myersct

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

I reset the network settings and rebooted. It's not just my email contacts, but also my phone contacts. Uggh. Thanks for trying to help!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I reset the network settings and rebooted. It's not just my email contacts, but also my phone contacts. Uggh. Thanks for trying to help!

If you feel it is not an online or network issue, go ahead and select "Reset All Settings" or put your device in DFU mode, connect it to your computer, fire up the computer's iTunes app and then select to restore. Afterwards, set it up as a new device. Before reinstalling any apps, configure your email account and see if the contact names and numbers appear like they should. If so, great. Continue to set up as new or opt to restore your last backup and hope that it doesn't restore the problem.

Trey Walls

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I had this happen today as they were all numbers and no names. It turns out one email exchange server I had on the phone had been deleted (old domain name). I removed this account and all the names and contacts returned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen