Calendar in iCloud randomly changes colors

jguzman89

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have started to experience an issue with the color that I had selected for a specific calendar changing its color randomly.

I have (8) calendars in ICloud. One is called "Business" and selected blue as its color. FOr the last day or so, it has changed itself to purple.

I can manually change it back to blue, and it changes, however, then it changes back to purple.

has anyone else seen this and any fix? I rely heavily on the colors to distinguish at a glance the different categories.

Thanks so much!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Are the calendars shared with anyone? Is it your default calendar? Is it possible you have more than one called "Business"? Try rebooting?

jguzman89

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Trying the reboot now.

The business calendar is not shared. I do have a shared calendar however. Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back! :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have 4 calendars and 1 shared calendar for a total of 5, and the colors remain the same. I can't even begin to understand why yours are changing unless a 3rd party app or setting that has access to it and is causing it to change.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! I tried a hard reset. Same thing...
What's also strange is the fact that just ONE of your calendars are changing colors. Just for the heck of it, I logged into my iCloud account via a web browser and saw that all of the calendar colors coincided with calendar colors on my devices except one. My primary calendar is green on my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, but is blue via the iCloud website. What's even stranger is the fact that when I select to edit the colors, I am given the option to change it to green, but as soon as I do, it initiates the change and then immediately revert back to blue. I tried several times with the same result. Having said that, I'm wondering if it's a known bug or something and that your situation is a more serious result of it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm with JustMe'D what I would suggest is one of two things. The easier is to backup your device using either iCloud or iTunes. Then do a restore in iTunes to reload the OS. Then restore from your backup and see if the issue still exists. The other suggestion is to clear out your calendars and delete them then recreate them and put all the stuff back in. Personally I would go with option 1.

kebarriere

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, and the same color, too!

My work calendar's color is set to green directly in iCloud but yesterday it changed itself to purple. As soon as I try to change it back to green, it turns purple again. Only this calendar does this and I have ten of them.

I'll just wait and see if it goes back to normal after a while, it may be on Apple's side...

jguzman89

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks kebarriere and all!

Maybe its an Apple iCloud issue? This has happened before but I agree: APPLE should not turn a blind eye on these issues.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have this same exact issue, and started today for me also (work cal turning purple from blue) !! Only for one of my calendars, the one called "work" which I don't even use and I have no shared calendars or 3rd party ones installed at the time. I did see today that iCloud calendars and reminders had an issue at about 1am EST but was resolved...but I'm thinking MAYBE it's still affecting some of us...
(I don't use the work cal that's why I deleted it)
I logged onto icloud and deleted the "work" calendar so that fixed that, but my home cal on my phone is purple, but on iCloud it's showing blue... But my cal is syncing new events properly because I did check to make sure anything new I add shows up. So idk right now... I'll wait it out to see if it's an iCloud thing and straightens itself out tomorrow.

nailman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Please help me, I accidentally deleted my calendar from my iphone calenders, because I wanted to change the color back. now all my appointments, meetings etc are gone..I tried to restore from Icloud backup from yesterday since I thought that would remedy my stupid mistake, but after restore Im still missing my calendar inputs??? in iclould I have all enabled for backup...? why does it my calendar no appear after this restore??

please help im in total disaster mode...

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
This started last night with some of my calendars.
As you can imagine, it affects my iPhone, iPad & MacBook Air.
I've reported it.
Good Luck

richu75

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It happened here too.

I see one similarity, my calendar is called 'Work' too.
But renaming the calendar does not work.

Fishcoteque

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happening to me.

I have 5 calendars. One is called "Work" and I have it set as red but it keeps changing back to purple whether I change it via my phone, mac, or on the web through iCloud.

Has happened once before and it fixed itself, but started again a few days ago.

Anyone got a fix?

PPAG

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My roommate was having this trouble but I wasn't. I looked further into it on both my phone and iPad and it turns out, it happens on mine too. My green and yellow calendar turn to purple 90% of the time and occasionally to light blue. She did not have this problem until yesterday.

Ashlee_221

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem!! It started on Saturday when I downloaded the new software for my iphone. Now my "work" calender is purple on both my iphone and my macbook. I have changed it back to green and it works...until I shut the app. Then when I re-open it, "work" is purple again. I have tried changing it on my computer and have the EXACT same results. This is infuriating. I too rely on colors to quickly view where I should be. I have tried re-booting. Apple needs to figure this out!

dianahk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 3 main calendars I use. One is shared with me, one I share, and one for work.

I noticed my colors keep changing on my iPhone. I just checked iCloud and they are different colors! I tried to change the colors in iCloud and they would revert back to all the same color, purple.

This is frustrating.

tweater11

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Interesting though. I exported the calendar that was having the issue then reimported it as a new calendar.
Then changed it to blue. It stayed blue. But the top most calendar which is called home is blue and I can't change that to green without it changing back to blue.
I think the issue is with the topmost calendar. I can change the other ones ok. Sounds like a bug. I suggest we all email them
Apple - Mac OS X - Feedback