I am having the same problem. I think it it partly due to the fact that my phone, iPad and Mac are linked through the cloud. I don't need or want my entire address book in my phone. I also want to get rid of Facebook contacts from my phone but can't do that either.
    You can delete Facebook contacts very easily. Just disable it in settings - Facebook
    How do i delete contacts on iphone 5 ios 7?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399391546.696321.jpg
    05-06-2014 11:52 AM
    I had the same thing happen - a large number of contacts loaded on my phone - I am guessing they are from FB
    I did not even have an icloud account so they are not there to download to my phone
    I have tried unlinking the contacts on my phone then going back in and then clicking the delete button, did not work, they are still showing up
    This is my 1st smartphone so I am a real newbie to all of this.
    05-30-2014 10:17 AM
    Very easy everyone. It depends on where your contacts have synced from. I have a iPhone 5c. It automatically downloaded all my contacts from Facebook and email. So, to delete all at once, do the following:
    1) go to settings
    2) first open "mail, contacts, calendars" box
    3) next click on your email account
    4) contacts will be an option, turn it off And say "yes".

To remove FB contacts follow the exact same steps although instead of choosing "mail, contacts, calendars" check "Facebook"

Hope this helps!
    06-10-2014 09:18 PM
    I have 8 email accounts on my phone. Only my default Gmail account has contacts toggled on in settings. Also, I have contacts toggled on in iCloud. In Facebook in settings, I have contacts toggled off. I have no contacts problems.
    08-03-2014 07:56 AM
    Hi everyone,
    have just managed to do this :

On your iPhone go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, & Calendars> then select your email account (mine is Gmail)> then TURN OFF the contact sync.

All your contacts which have appeared through your email contacts should disappear.

Hope this helps! x
    08-11-2014 09:37 AM
    If the contacts are associated with an email account, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars and disable the button next to contacts. You will be asked if you want to keep the contacts on your device. Choose to delete them as stateD in the post just ABOVE yours.
    08-25-2014 10:14 AM
    As someone who had previously unlinked Facebook under Settings from my calendars and contacts and then turned off sharing contacts via ICloud I also couldn't find the delete button under my individual contacts. Instead I was told under Contacts in the top left corner click "Groups" and uncheck "All Facebook" to unlink all those contacts from my phone. That took away everybody that had been added after I upgraded and it synced all my Facebook and ICloud info which was hundreds of contacts at once. Hope this helps
    10-15-2014 12:21 AM
    Thanks to those who explained that the massive contact list came from Facebook. When I unchecked Facebook, my problem was solved!
    11-05-2014 11:48 AM
    Thanks to those who explained that the massive contact list came from Facebook. When I unchecked Facebook, my problem was solved!
    I'm glad you got the issue resolved, and thank you for the update. Take care...
    11-05-2014 12:52 PM
    My iphone4, ios7 is synching to my FB. I don't mind having my family and close friends contacts in my phone, but I don't need the contact info of my "web only" friends on my cell. How can I unsync/delete them?

Thanks!
    08-14-2015 08:54 AM
    I want to delete some contactsfrom my IPhone 5S. There is no delete button.
    08-26-2015 06:36 AM
    I want to delete some contactsfrom my IPhone 5S. There is no delete button.
    1. Initiate the Contacts app
    2. Select the contact you want to delete
    3. Select "Edit"
    4. Scroll down to the bottom and then select "Delete"
    08-26-2015 08:26 AM
37 12