Water damaged iphone 2 weeks old what can i do ? It not insured
    10-02-2013 11:16 AM
    Ethically? There's nothing you can do except get it replaced out of pocket. If you turned the device off immediately after it became exposed to water, then there's a good chance that the device can still be used. I suggest you putting it in a bag of rice or some other liquid extractor overnight or so and then see if it will work without a problem. In the meantime, check out the information via the following link:

iphone water damage | iMore
    John Yester likes this.
    10-02-2013 12:00 PM
    what model iPhone?
    10-02-2013 03:13 PM
    Check with your credit card if you bought it with one. It may be covered.

Sent from somewhere.
    10-02-2013 03:15 PM
    If you bought it at an Apple store you have 30 days to buy Applecare+. This is adds 2 years of warranty to the device and covers everything accidental or defect. Applecare+ costs $99 plus tax. They are not going to ask to inspect your device because you can buy it from the site AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.) After you buy it and register it to the device you can take the device in to an Apple store and you will have to pay an $80 deductible and they will give you a new phone. So altogether it will cost almost $200 but is definitely cheaper than buying a new iPhone depending on which model of iPhone you bought.
    John Yester likes this.
    10-02-2013 03:22 PM
    The 3 times I have bought AppleCare more than a few days after buying the phone, they wanted to see it first to make sure it wasn't damaged.
    10-02-2013 04:36 PM
    Yes if not in store they will want to see it... Again it's coverage so they have to make sure...

But if bought through carrier, when you give them the serial #, they can verify over the phone that it was just delivered to you... Then they will add it.. I did it with my iPhone 5 and there was no issue.
    10-02-2013 04:40 PM
    You are now able to call Apple Care at 1-800-275-2237 and have AC+ added as long as it is done within 30 days of purchase. They will send you a text message with a link, simply click on the link and wait. After this short Diagnostic test is done the AC Rep. will take your card info and add AC+ for you. I did this with my 5S and it was all done within 5 minutes. It was much easier than a 45 minute drive to my Apple store.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    10-02-2013 07:02 PM
    Have you done a visible look in the ports yourself to see if any of the ports are showing from white to where it changed color indicating water damage? You did not say that the phone is not working but just asked the question about water damage. Does it turn on and or work at all? Either or you might want to just pay a visit to your Apple store, See the genius Bar, If because 2 weeks old if it is a 5S and you plead your case in a good manner you might never know. Youi might walk outwith a new phone it being that young and if so.... Buy Applecare+
    Ipheuria likes this.
    10-02-2013 08:17 PM
    You are now able to call Apple Care at 1-800-275-2237 and have AC+ added as long as it is done within 30 days of purchase. They will send you a text message with a link, simply click on the link and wait. After this short Diagnostic test is done the AC Rep. will take your card info and add AC+ for you. I did this with my 5S and it was all done within 5 minutes. It was much easier than a 45 minute drive to my Apple store.

If there phone still powers on and works that is
    10-02-2013 08:42 PM
    If you bought it at an Apple store you have 30 days to buy Applecare+. This is adds 2 years of warranty to the device and covers everything accidental or defect. Applecare+ costs $99 plus tax. They are not going to ask to inspect your device because you can buy it from the site AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.) After you buy it and register it to the device you can take the device in to an Apple store and you will have to pay an $80 deductible and they will give you a new phone. So altogether it will cost almost $200 but is definitely cheaper than buying a new iPhone depending on which model of iPhone you bought.
    Yes if not in store they will want to see it... Again it's coverage so they have to make sure...

But if bought through carrier, when you give them the serial #, they can verify over the phone that it was just delivered to you... Then they will add it.. I did it with my iPhone 5 and there was no issue.

Have you done a visible look in the ports yourself to see if any of the ports are showing from white to where it changed color indicating water damage? You did not say that the phone is not working but just asked the question about water damage. Does it turn on and or work at all? Either or you might want to just pay a visit to your Apple store, See the genius Bar, If because 2 weeks old if it is a 5S and you plead your case in a good manner you might never know. Youi might walk outwith a new phone it being that young and if so.... Buy Applecare+
    If there phone still powers on and works that is
    Wow. I am really conflicted here. The forums have a strict "no piracy" policy, but even the "mods" and "ambassadors" are conspiring with a "guest" poster to commit insurance fraud. I feel bad for him/her that their new phone took a bath, but there was no insurance in place at the time of the dunk into the drink, yet 3 people with the "ambassador" title, one "moderator" and one "mod team leader" are all trying to help this guy beat the system.

Perhaps this is not the correct Apple centric forum for me, after all. What am I missing here?
    10-02-2013 09:58 PM
    Wow. I am really conflicted here. The forums have a strict "no piracy" policy, but even the "mods" and "ambassadors" are conspiring with a "guest" poster to commit insurance fraud. I feel bad for him/her that their new phone took a bath, but there was no insurance in place at the time of the dunk into the drink, yet 3 people with the "ambassador" title, one "moderator" and one "mod team leader" are all trying to help this guy beat the system.

Perhaps this is not the correct Apple centric forum for me, after all. What am I missing here?
    Wrong! No one here "conspired with" a guest to commit insurance fraud. The guest asked what could he or she do, and he or she was given several options to which he or she could choose from. Nothing more.
    Peligro911 likes this.
    10-02-2013 10:12 PM

Hmm I didn't suggest anything besides saying the registration might not work for the fact the if the phone is broke how could he respond to a text ..

As far as I look at it people here are stating apple policy and how it works what the OP chooses to do is up to them
    John Yester likes this.
    10-02-2013 10:14 PM
    Wrong! No one here "conspired with" a guest to commit insurance fraud. The guest asked what could he or she do, and he or she was given several options to which he or she could choose from. Nothing more.
    Several of those options had to do with getting Apple to enroll a damaged device in their insurance program AFTER it was damaged. It sure seemed that way to me.
    10-02-2013 10:17 PM
    calm down Terry, geez
    Peligro911, phreddyl and bloodspun like this.
    10-02-2013 10:19 PM
    Several of those options had to do with getting Apple to enroll a damaged device in their insurance program AFTER it was damaged. It sure seemed that way to me.
    I understand......but as you can see, I was the first to respond and made it perfectly clear that ethically, there was nothing he or she could do except get it replaced out of pocket. To the best of my knowledge, the other options given were in accordance with the rules stated by AppleCare and was in regard to the question the OP asked. Besides, He or she has to make the decision on which option to choose.
    10-02-2013 10:25 PM
    Adding AppleCare+ in the OPs situation is like trying to buy an auto policy after the hit and run...
    Just_Me_D and Terry1960 like this.
    10-02-2013 10:36 PM
    Adding AppleCare+ in the OPs situation is like trying to buy an auto policy after the hit and run...
    And yet it can be done but it doesn't mean you should or that it is ethical
    10-02-2013 11:47 PM
    I was in the same boat dropped my 5s 8 days after owning it and screen cracked I went to apple and they wouldn't replace it and no screens are available yet to I had to pay $269 plus tax for a new phone replacement
    10-03-2013 01:12 AM
    Go back a read my post again. I was simply correcting a few posts above without Quoting them by mentioning that one can also make a phone call and have AC run a diagnostic test in order to have the insurance added over the phone VS going into the store... Obviously if the OP has a water damaged phone it wouldn't pass the diagnostic test, so how was my post helping the OP commit insurance fraud?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro
    10-03-2013 08:42 AM

Are you for real? first off I'm giving advice based on what I would do myself. There is a difference between pirating which is stealing software that wasn't paid for and paying $2-300 for an iPhone then paying another $200 or more because there was an accident after only 2 weeks. If Apple is willing to give people free exchanges without Applecare in some cases, I've seen it happen, then obviously they care more about a happy customer that will continue to buy more devices, services, etc. I'm sorry I feel for the person after buying such an expensive the device that I didn't tell them to suck it up and pay again to buy a completely new one. I don't however have any sympathy for people who pirate apps or software simply because they don't want to pay. Just for the record I'm not trying to help anyone beat the system I'm trying to give the person a solution that benefits them and benefits Apple. Nuff said on my part have a great day.
    10-03-2013 08:47 AM
    I understand......but as you can see, I was the first to respond and made it perfectly clear that ethically, there was nothing he or she could do except get it replaced out of pocket. To the best of my knowledge, the other options given were in accordance with the rules stated by AppleCare and was in regard to the question the OP asked. Besides, He or she has to make the decision on which option to choose.
    fair enough
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-03-2013 11:30 AM
    I was in the same boat dropped my 5s 8 days after owning it and screen cracked I went to apple and they wouldn't replace it and no screens are available yet to I had to pay $269 plus tax for a new phone replacement
    which is exactly the situation that the original guy has found himself in. it’s the only ethical thing to do.
    10-03-2013 11:31 AM
    Go back a read my post again. I was simply correcting a few posts above without Quoting them by mentioning that one can also make a phone call and have AC run a diagnostic test in order to have the insurance added over the phone VS going into the store... Obviously if the OP has a water damaged phone it wouldn't pass the diagnostic test, so how was my post helping the OP commit insurance fraud?

You are encouraging the original guy to try to beat the system by getting insurance on a damaged device.
    Last edited by Terry1960; 10-03-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: fix quote
    10-03-2013 11:33 AM
    Are you for real? first off I'm giving advice based on what I would do myself. There is a difference between pirating which is stealing software that wasn't paid for and paying $2-300 for an iPhone then paying another $200 or more because there was an accident after only 2 weeks. If Apple is willing to give people free exchanges without Applecare in some cases, I've seen it happen, then obviously they care more about a happy customer that will continue to buy more devices, services, etc. I'm sorry I feel for the person after buying such an expensive the device that I didn't tell them to suck it up and pay again to buy a completely new one. I don't however have any sympathy for people who pirate apps or software simply because they don't want to pay. Just for the record I'm not trying to help anyone beat the system I'm trying to give the person a solution that benefits them and benefits Apple. Nuff said on my part have a great day.
    Yes, I am for real. If this guy goes into an Apple store, tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and the Apple Genius replaces his phone, great. But to try to sneak in the back door and get a new phone without paying for it when the original one was damaged by the owner's own actions, how is that different from stealing a new phone?

What makes your scenario right? The fact that the phone costs $2-300? The fact that the phone is less than 2 weeks old? The fact that the customer ruined his phone and is now unhappy?

I honestly don’t understand how that position can be justified, morally.
    10-03-2013 11:37 AM
28 12