2 Wk old uninsured iPhone has water damage. What can I do?

I

iMore Question

Water damaged iphone 2 weeks old what can i do ? It not insured

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ethically? There's nothing you can do except get it replaced out of pocket. If you turned the device off immediately after it became exposed to water, then there's a good chance that the device can still be used. I suggest you putting it in a bag of rice or some other liquid extractor overnight or so and then see if it will work without a problem. In the meantime, check out the information via the following link:

iphone water damage | iMore

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you bought it at an Apple store you have 30 days to buy Applecare+. This is adds 2 years of warranty to the device and covers everything accidental or defect. Applecare+ costs $99 plus tax. They are not going to ask to inspect your device because you can buy it from the site AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.) After you buy it and register it to the device you can take the device in to an Apple store and you will have to pay an $80 deductible and they will give you a new phone. So altogether it will cost almost $200 but is definitely cheaper than buying a new iPhone depending on which model of iPhone you bought.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
The 3 times I have bought AppleCare more than a few days after buying the phone, they wanted to see it first to make sure it wasn't damaged.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes if not in store they will want to see it... Again it's coverage so they have to make sure...

But if bought through carrier, when you give them the serial #, they can verify over the phone that it was just delivered to you... Then they will add it.. I did it with my iPhone 5 and there was no issue.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You are now able to call Apple Care at 1-800-275-2237 and have AC+ added as long as it is done within 30 days of purchase. They will send you a text message with a link, simply click on the link and wait. After this short Diagnostic test is done the AC Rep. will take your card info and add AC+ for you. I did this with my 5S and it was all done within 5 minutes. It was much easier than a 45 minute drive to my Apple store.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you done a visible look in the ports yourself to see if any of the ports are showing from white to where it changed color indicating water damage? You did not say that the phone is not working but just asked the question about water damage. Does it turn on and or work at all? Either or you might want to just pay a visit to your Apple store, See the genius Bar, If because 2 weeks old if it is a 5S and you plead your case in a good manner you might never know. Youi might walk outwith a new phone it being that young and if so.... Buy Applecare+ :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You are now able to call Apple Care at 1-800-275-2237 and have AC+ added as long as it is done within 30 days of purchase. They will send you a text message with a link, simply click on the link and wait. After this short Diagnostic test is done the AC Rep. will take your card info and add AC+ for you. I did this with my 5S and it was all done within 5 minutes. It was much easier than a 45 minute drive to my Apple store.

If there phone still powers on and works that is

Terry1960

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
If you bought it at an Apple store you have 30 days to buy Applecare+. This is adds 2 years of warranty to the device and covers everything accidental or defect. Applecare+ costs $99 plus tax. They are not going to ask to inspect your device because you can buy it from the site AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.) After you buy it and register it to the device you can take the device in to an Apple store and you will have to pay an $80 deductible and they will give you a new phone. So altogether it will cost almost $200 but is definitely cheaper than buying a new iPhone depending on which model of iPhone you bought.

Yes if not in store they will want to see it... Again it's coverage so they have to make sure...

But if bought through carrier, when you give them the serial #, they can verify over the phone that it was just delivered to you... Then they will add it.. I did it with my iPhone 5 and there was no issue.

Have you done a visible look in the ports yourself to see if any of the ports are showing from white to where it changed color indicating water damage? You did not say that the phone is not working but just asked the question about water damage. Does it turn on and or work at all? Either or you might want to just pay a visit to your Apple store, See the genius Bar, If because 2 weeks old if it is a 5S and you plead your case in a good manner you might never know. Youi might walk outwith a new phone it being that young and if so.... Buy Applecare+ :)

If there phone still powers on and works that is

Wow. I am really conflicted here. The forums have a strict "no piracy" policy, but even the "mods" and "ambassadors" are conspiring with a "guest" poster to commit insurance fraud. I feel bad for him/her that their new phone took a bath, but there was no insurance in place at the time of the dunk into the drink, yet 3 people with the "ambassador" title, one "moderator" and one "mod team leader" are all trying to help this guy beat the system.

Perhaps this is not the correct Apple centric forum for me, after all. What am I missing here?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I am really conflicted here. The forums have a strict "no piracy" policy, but even the "mods" and "ambassadors" are conspiring with a "guest" poster to commit insurance fraud. I feel bad for him/her that their new phone took a bath, but there was no insurance in place at the time of the dunk into the drink, yet 3 people with the "ambassador" title, one "moderator" and one "mod team leader" are all trying to help this guy beat the system.

Perhaps this is not the correct Apple centric forum for me, after all. What am I missing here?

Wrong! No one here "conspired with" a guest to commit insurance fraud. The guest asked what could he or she do, and he or she was given several options to which he or she could choose from. Nothing more.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Hmm I didn't suggest anything besides saying the registration might not work for the fact the if the phone is broke how could he respond to a text ..

As far as I look at it people here are stating apple policy and how it works what the OP chooses to do is up to them

Terry1960

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Wrong! No one here "conspired with" a guest to commit insurance fraud. The guest asked what could he or she do, and he or she was given several options to which he or she could choose from. Nothing more.

Several of those options had to do with getting Apple to enroll a damaged device in their insurance program AFTER it was damaged. It sure seemed that way to me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Several of those options had to do with getting Apple to enroll a damaged device in their insurance program AFTER it was damaged. It sure seemed that way to me.

I understand...;)...but as you can see, I was the first to respond and made it perfectly clear that ethically, there was nothing he or she could do except get it replaced out of pocket. To the best of my knowledge, the other options given were in accordance with the rules stated by AppleCare and was in regard to the question the OP asked. Besides, He or she has to make the decision on which option to choose.

ITS ME DAVID

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat dropped my 5s 8 days after owning it and screen cracked I went to apple and they wouldn't replace it and no screens are available yet to I had to pay $269 plus tax for a new phone replacement

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Go back a read my post again. I was simply correcting a few posts above without Quoting them by mentioning that one can also make a phone call and have AC run a diagnostic test in order to have the insurance added over the phone VS going into the store... Obviously if the OP has a water damaged phone it wouldn't pass the diagnostic test, so how was my post helping the OP commit insurance fraud?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox