Problem with backup on new IPhone 5c

T

TigerDunes

Having trouble on initial backup of new iPhone 5c to icloud. Old iphone 4 had about 2.9 GB of backup. All files, data, photos successfully transferred from old iPhone to new iPhone. Tried to make my first backup yesterday and get the message incomplete. icloud shows 3.1 GB of backup with about 1.7 GB of space left, the difference being about 220 MB of backup to ipad. Any suggestions? Should I delete backup and repeat?

TigerDunes

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
My old iPhone backup has been deleted from icloud. It crossed my mind that I don't have enough available storage left. But can that be ? I do intend to backup to iTunes but that does not solve my issue with the backup to icloud on new iPhone 5c.

TigerDunes

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I still remain confused on two issues concerning this backup issue.

1. Old iphone 4 had a total backup of 2.9 GB. New iphone 5c has backed up 3.1 GB and says it has another 1.4 GB of additional data that needs backing up. That's 50%+ more data over the iPhone 4. Where did this large difference come from?

2. Icloud message says now that I don't have enough space. It needs 1.4 GB additional backup space. Yet icloud also tells me I have 1.7 GB of remaining available space. So what exactly gives?

And do pictures and video take up a great deal of space?

Thanks again for reading and all replies.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
New OS, and it probably takes up more space, also it may be compressing data differently.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I still remain confused on two issues concerning this backup issue.

1. Old iphone 4 had a total backup of 2.9 GB. New iphone 5c has backed up 3.1 GB and says it has another 1.4 GB of additional data that needs backing up. That's 50%+ more data over the iPhone 4. Where did this large difference come from?

2. Icloud message says now that I don't have enough space. It needs 1.4 GB additional backup space. Yet icloud also tells me I have 1.7 GB of remaining available space. So what exactly gives?

And do pictures and video take up a great deal of space?

Thanks again for reading and all replies.

There's a couple of things you can try. It would be great to have a little more info so if you can write down or if you can take a screeshot and then post it here that would help too. You might need to host it somewhere and then post it in the thread. So go to Settings, iCloud, Storage and Backup and tell us how much is available? Then go to Manage Storage, it will show you the Backups tell us how many you have and the sizes? Now if you tap your Backup of your 5c if there is one it will show you what has been backed up and the size. The camera roll with pictures and videos is always a huge honker. So if that is the case you have two options. You can flip that to turn it off. Then run a backup manually to see if the backup completes. This will tell you if everything is good with the setup of the backup. If it does complete you can either leave it off and download your pictures to your computer or use an online service like Flickr or Amazon Cloud Locker I think it's called.

TigerDunes

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

I thought I gave you all pertinent information.

Old iphone 4 had 2.9 GB of backup. This has now been deleted following successful transfer of all data to new iPhone 5c at point of purchase.

Have approx 220 MB backup for ipad.

On initial backup , I have 3.1 GB backed up. Message from icloud says 1.4 GB of additional storage is needed yet it is not available.
icloud tells me I have 1.7 GB remaining storage. That does not compute.

BTW, camera roll says about 3.1 GB of data. I find that hard to believe.

TigerDunes

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Update.

Can't understand why, but overnite and after an automatic backup, the new iPhone 5c now shows the backup made and the incomplete message has disappeared. Total backup for both devices shows 3.2 GB with 1.8 GB space remaining. Now this makes sense. Go figure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234