Is the Apple Watch 7 ALL THAT vs. the Apple Watch 6?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Ok…seriously, what makes the new Apple Watch 7 so much better that I need to rush right down and get one over my Apple Watch 6?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok…seriously, what makes the new Apple Watch 7 so much better that I need to rush right down and get one over my Apple Watch 6?

You’re a little too late to ‘rush right down’ as the Watch series 7 has been out for several months already.

If you’re content with your series 6 then there is no particular reason to go and get the series 7, but that’s just my opinion.

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

The Apple Watch Series 7 isn’t meant to be an upgrade for Series 6. It’s just an incremental improvement over the Series 6. :)

It’s more for users of the Series 0 through 4, maybe 5.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I was one with an S6 who did rush over to the Apple Store app on my iPad :) 2 weeks after it became available. FYI, I got 235$ for my S6 on trade in. The S7 larger screen is a big difference for me and my far sightedness. The buttons are bigger too so entering the passcode, which we’ll all do a lot, I’d now done with more precision. The keyboard is actually usable now IF I swipe. S6 it just was too small for the keyboard app I used. The surprise plus feature was the fast charging. I was in a good charging rhythm on S6 (coffee, shower breakfast while it charged). But i did need to take it not fully charged sometimes. The fast charge has eliminated that and allowed in those odd circumstances to get a quick jolt of juice when needed.
It has a bit of a different look, curved is a bit noticeable, but not huge. Your band choice is much much more of a aesthetic. The added toughness to the Watch glass is fortunately something I can’t tell you if it has made a difference. That’s the specs on it.

If none of this seems applicable to you, I’d recommend keep S6 and wait to see what S8 brings. S6 was my first AW and I loved it. But I can say many tech channels said ‘meh’ to S7 so I was concerned I’d wasted a buy. Imho it is much more of an upgrade than it was given credit for.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd say nothing. I bought my watch SE when the 7 came out. Only thing I'm missing is 2 health sensors I don't need and always on display which I never use on any smartwatch. The SE is still fast and responsive. I mean, I'm sure I'd notice a difference in the UI if I had the 6 or 7 but the SE runs great. I may upgrade later in the year depending on what the 8(if they change design to something I like almost definitely) and the new SE look like. I suspect the new SE will keep the old form factor if the 8 is a redesign.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am on the fence at this point. I was/am planning on getting the 7 for my birthday in April. However, there's something to be said about waiting for the 8. I have no idea what I will end up doing :D.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I am still using a stainless steel Watch Series 5 and I have no intentions of upgrading it anytime soon. For my usage, it is more than enough, it is still fast and it still runs the newest developer beta (watchOS 8.5) with ease. With that being said, does your current watch usage justify an upgrade in your own opinion?

turbochgd

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
For me the biggest upgrades (coming from the series 5) are the noticeably larger screen (actually only 1mm but combined with the flatter screen makes a noticeable difference). A full keyboard now available for typing or preferably swiping is a nice addition. And lastly the fast charging which is awesome.

There is one other thing I really like but this is just a personal preference: the new watch face which I believe like the keyboard was designed for the flatter screen.

If none of those are anything that appeals to you then you’d be wise to stay with your series 6. My wife had a series 6 which she adored, but since we’re older I suggested she try a 7 for the larger screen. She was adamant that she loved her watch and didn’t want a new one. I finally convinced her to just try it out and she fell in love with the 7 the minute she got it. Her 6 was sold a few days later

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I do opt for the new S7 face too. It’s a unique, tightly colorful pleasing aesthetic that sets out the curved edge visual. It is almost without complications — on S6 I’d use the multi complications face exclusively — but it ends up less can be better. It does have the last app used micro button between 12 and 1 which can be handy (though it’s so small I don’t always get it pressed right).

Great write up Turbochgd, well said. It’s Pretty much my S7 positive experience as well. I think some tend to see these changes/upgrades as few and occurring on such a small level that they’re not impactful. The brighter screen is a plus too. For me these were surprisingly impactful - I suspect much more so than a better SOC and square edge design would be.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
When I got my 6 two weeks later the 7 released. My 5 was the worst. I think possibly defective but I was over the issues. Got a decent trade in value and upgraded. I am happy with the 6

Last edited:

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I own a series 6 and 7. The biggest difference that I notice is the Qwerty keyboard for texts. I read somewhere about a 3rd part workaround for older models. In all honesty, I haven't noticed any changes in my Apple watches since the Series 4 due to the addition of AOD. I get a new Apple watch every year alternating between Space gray and silver(Changed colors with series 7) Due to their low cost, they're basically disposable watches.As for the stainless versions, they;re basically a rip off. SS is not a premium upgrade in the watch world.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Eating my words. No intentions but I traded for the 7 today. My upgrade trade amount was great. Couldn’t say no

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I had to get some well woman stuff done and my techs both commented on my Apple Watch. They love the green color
It’s eye catching that’s for sure.
Besides being a great watch

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The AW 6 is still a very current watch I see no reason to get the 7. I will keep mine until the series 9 comes out.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I will offer this. The AW7's keyboard allows me to type texts silently on my cellular AW7. For me, that is huge. That discretion is quite a feature to me. Is it worth $750 (stainless steel)? Maybe not but it is very very useful and nice.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Totally agree with Tadpoles -- it was an unforeseen benefit too. The S6 keyboard app just wasn't usable for me so using the keyboard had no longer even factored into my thinking (Siri or bust on texting). The S7 actually makes the keyboard useable and functional (though I swipe).

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I love my 44mm graphite stainless 6 but, for the first time ever, fell in love with an aluminum color… starlight. Trade in wasn’t worth it and I wasn’t sure if I would love it in person so I opted for a refurb 45mm in starlight. Welp, I now have two watches and feel like there’s no need for anything else so I’ll just swap between these two for many years.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'd say "noticeable difference" is a bit subjective. My good friend raves about the HUGE screen of his 7. I haven't told him that I can't tell the difference vs. my 6. For some users, e.g. Up_And_Away, the difference is noticeable and a valued improvement. For me, I wouldn't consider a 7 now instead of waiting 4 months for an 8 (which I probably won't buy then either).

And by the way, I am VERY much guilty of falling for Apple hype. I actually believed my titanium would be "noticeably" different from stainless steel. It's not and I won't make that mistake again.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
And by the way, I am VERY much guilty of falling for Apple hype. I actually believed my titanium would be "noticeably" different from stainless steel. It's not and I won't make that mistake again.

Well - one extra year of warranty coverage perhaps is worth the cost difference? (Stainless get the same 1 year warranty as Aluminum watches, while Titanium and Hermes are considered "Edition" watches and get a second year, or three years with AC+ vs. two years with AC+ for Aluminum/Stainless non-Hermes.)

I'm considering Titanium Series 8 (if they are available) to avoid the scratches on the stainless case that I have on my S5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234