I'm coming from many years a samsung user and have had an original moto 360, galaxy watch, and galaxy watch 3. None of which had ever seen a scratch after wearing for 2 years each and no screen protectors. Now after 3 days with my watch se there appears to be a tiny chip on the glass and I don't recall ever even bumping it lightly. So, is the glass on these things that delicate and I have to baby it that much?
    09-28-2021 03:32 PM
    I have had my Series 3 for 3/5 years. I use a clear case on it, and it's in pristine condition. My sister does not use a case. She's had hers for 3 years and it's in good shape.
    09-28-2021 03:48 PM
    I'm coming from many years a samsung user and have had an original moto 360, galaxy watch, and galaxy watch 3. None of which had ever seen a scratch after wearing for 2 years each and no screen protectors. Now after 3 days with my watch se there appears to be a tiny chip on the glass and I don't recall ever even bumping it lightly. So, is the glass on these things that delicate and I have to baby it that much?
    In my opinion, the display of the Watch isn’t “delicate” at all. I’ve had the original Watch, the Series 3 and my current Series 5. None of them have ever had a protecting casing or display covering. I wear my Watch all day everyday and you’d probably need a microscope to find a scratch on it.
    Annie_M, ksassy and Up_And_Away like this.
    09-28-2021 04:02 PM
    Not really, what did you do to chip the display?
    09-28-2021 04:28 PM
    The aluminum Apple Watches through the S6 use a glass called Ion-X Glass that is not completely scratch resistant. My S2 had a number of scratches and gouges within weeks. That said, you really had to look for them to see them - they didn't ruin the display at all.

The stainless steel (including Hermes), ceramic, titanium, and the original gold watches use sapphire crystals that are very scratch resistant. My two year old S5 does not have any scratches on the crystal at all.

The new s7 is supposed to be using a thicker, tougher crystal, I assume for just the aluminum body watches, but Apple said nothing about scratch resistance - they just said that it was more shatter-resistant IIRC.
    09-28-2021 05:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies. That is good to hear. I'm not sure what happened. I swear I haven't even tapped this thing on anything, never the less hard enough to cause the chip. Again, it is tiny but it's there. No scratches or anything, but the one tiny chip.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-30-2021 01:46 PM
    I own both watches and they are both very tough devices.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-01-2021 07:39 AM
    I use screen protectors
    tadpoles likes this.
    02-15-2022 02:02 AM
    I hate to jinx myself but so far zing-bam-pow (queue the old TV show Batman graphics), my Apple watches have been everything resistant. I never take it off except to charge. Weight lifting to car wash to doing dishes, banging into the door, counter, night stand. No protector of any kind (again hopefully I’m not jinxing myself and my luck is running out). However, I started on the S6 and now S7. Presumably the screens have become a high level crack and scratch resistant since earlier models.

Doesn’t surprise me that Samsung — a leading consumer electronics name — makes a durable Watch glass face. If one can get past that the overall device is markedly inferior to the Apple Watch, the premium glass durability is a big plus. :-)
    02-15-2022 02:56 AM
    Nothing beats the Apple Watch in my opinion
    Annie_M likes this.
    02-15-2022 03:28 PM
    I've owned Apple Watches since the first one was available. I've never used any kind of screen protector or case and I've never chipped, scratched, or in any way damaged any part of the watch (and I wear one 24/7). As far as I'm concerned, they are practically bullet-proof.
    02-15-2022 04:31 PM
    So, both my Apple Watch Series 0 and Series 5, they never had anything more than micro-scratches, with no protection whatsoever, as expected.
    The anodization on my Series 0 did wear off, but it took a couple of years of daily use, so nothing to be worried about. On my Series 5, nothing to report - yet.
    Last edited by Ed7789; 02-15-2022 at 11:03 PM. Reason: I said that I had nothing to report on my Apple Watch Series 6. It should have read that I had nothing to report on my Series
    02-15-2022 09:56 PM
    I’ve never used any screen protection or case on my Apple Watch Series 5. I wear it every day, all day. The screen is in perfect condition.
    02-15-2022 10:36 PM
    Well, since I posted this thread I guess I should update. Since I posted this I haven not gotten a single scratch or chip on this watch. Maybe it came out of the box with the tiny chip in the glass. I don't know. But that one chip is still the only blemish on the entire thing.
    Annie_M, Just_Me_D and Ed7789 like this.
    02-25-2022 09:00 AM
    I have the series 6 with a spigen bumper case and it works great.
    03-09-2022 10:49 PM
    My AW5 is in great condition. There are some very small fine scratches on the stainless steel case that actually came from putting on and removing those those tempered glass/plastic screen-prorector cases. Of course, the sapphire screen looks like it's still new, so yay there.

So, I won't be using such a protector on my new AW7 cellular stainless steel. I did put a TPU screen protector on it but it's all but invisible because I know it's there. Fingers crossed, no even fine scratches anywhere on either of the watches going forward. ...because blemishes suck.How delicate is the display?-screenshot_20220314-214147_amazon-20shopping-2.jpgHow delicate is the display?-screenshot_20220314-215901_amazon-20shopping-2.jpg
    03-14-2022 10:02 PM
    My update: Nothing noticeable on my 2.5 year old Apple Watch.

A couple of minor micro scratches that you can only see when it is mere millimetres from your face. So nothing that I will lose any sleep over.
    03-14-2022 10:43 PM