Save $99 on Apple's iPad Air: Now just $500 at Amazon

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, Dark Blue 40mm Solo Loop, less than eight months gentle use by elderly family member. Purchased as a gift in October 2020, it developed a 2-3mm long tear in the middle then a month later suddenly broke entirely I notice on the Apple forum there are similar reports so guessing a weakness, bad batch? I shall report to Apple and see what they say.

Solo loop split in two pieces!-img_5284.jpg
    Last edited by Jetman; 07-17-2021 at 03:54 AM.
    07-09-2021 09:42 AM
    In sorry this happened to you! I have the same band and have no issues with it! Please let us know what Apple has to say!
    Jetman likes this.
    07-09-2021 10:28 AM
    Thanks Annie, I will do that, seems over on the Apple forum that some got replacement loops and others got a straight no which is a shame
    07-09-2021 10:31 AM
    Aw that’s terrible. I hope you’re able to get a replacement!
    Jetman likes this.
    07-09-2021 10:41 AM
    I have several of these bands and no problems so far. Hope Apple gives you a replacement!
    07-11-2021 12:59 PM
    Bad news unfortunately, Apple support came back and said they will not replace

Advisor said if it was his call then he would but system says no. Anyway, I am not one to let these things go and will be chasing down the powers that be to get this replaced. I am invested in the Apple ecosystem enough that I will not be rolling over on a silicon watch strap which has failed due to manufacturing error.

Anyway, I will report back if I get any kind of outcome after emailing Apple.
    ChamNG likes this.
    07-13-2021 11:58 AM
    Just to update on this situation, after reading several other reports like this on various forums I decided it was time to call Apple support again. It appeared some owners were getting easy replacements and others were being told no.

I spent around 20-30 minutes on the phone initially with a first line support agent and then a senior advisor. The latter was very patient, helpful and knowledgeable and immediately agreed this should be a straight forward replacement, no question. They went away to discuss with a colleague and to authorise this, normally I believe they would require the broken strap to be returned for analysis.

Around 5 minutes later I received a call from the same senior advisor who informed me they would be sending a replacement solo loop without the need for me to return my existing one. This time around it was a very pleasant experience on the phone to support.

So it would seem if you are not happy with the initial outcome then jump back on the phone. Push to speak with a senior advisor or member of staff who should be more accommodating.

As the advisor pointed out, this could have been a more unpleasant outcome if the watch had fallen onto a hard floor when the strap failed - this could have lead to a much more serious replacement situation, certainly food for thought. I do hope that others aren't unlucky enough for that to happen.

Anyway, I will await arrival of the replacement solo loop and give its owner the good news
    Annie_M, ksassy and ChamNG like this.
    07-16-2021 04:33 AM
    Just to update on this situation, after reading several other reports like this on various forums I decided it was time to call Apple support again. It appeared some owners were getting easy replacements and others were being told no.

I spent around 20-30 minutes on the phone initially with a first line support agent and then a senior advisor. The latter was very patient, helpful and knowledgeable and immediately agreed this should be a straight forward replacement, no question. They went away to discuss with a colleague and to authorise this, normally I believe they would require the broken strap to be returned for analysis.

Around 5 minutes later I received a call from the same senior advisor who informed me they would be sending a replacement solo loop without the need for me to return my existing one. This time around it was a very pleasant experience on the phone to support.

So it would seem if you are not happy with the initial outcome then jump back on the phone. Push to speak with a senior advisor or member of staff who should be more accommodating.

As the advisor pointed out, this could have been a more unpleasant outcome if the watch had fallen onto a hard floor when the strap failed - this could have lead to a much more serious replacement situation, certainly food for thought. I do hope that others aren't unlucky enough for that to happen.

Anyway, I will await arrival of the replacement solo loop and give its owner the good news
    I am delighted that you will be getting a replacement! Thanks for sharing your update. Perseverance is clearly the key and this is good information for all of us!
    Jetman likes this.
    07-16-2021 05:19 AM
    Definitely an odd situation. I have several solo loops (both genuine Apple and Amazon copy’s) and haven’t seen anything like this.
    07-16-2021 10:37 AM
    Odd wasn't the word I used, maybe myself and the other customers who this has happened to have been unlucky:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-half.2304142/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...in=true&page=1

....but it certainly isn't an isolated case sadly.
    Annie_M likes this.
    07-16-2021 12:43 PM
    Thank you Annie, just for reference my Solo Loop that failed was purchased in the UK during October 2020 - I have updated this information in the original post. Maybe links it to a bad batch, I don't know
    Last edited by Jetman; 07-17-2021 at 03:55 AM.
    Annie_M likes this.
    07-16-2021 02:20 PM