Weather apps on your Apple Watch

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Good afternoon all.

Question for the Apple Watch community. What weather app(s) are you using on your Apple Watch? Does the location seem to update automagically?

Backstory-When I got my first Apple Watch, I discovered that the weather app I was using (stock, I believe) was not automatically updating location when I was driving. So I'd leave home going to work, and when I got to work, my watch was still showing home city. Had to open the app on the watch to refresh. Came across Carrot Weather and it has been a great weather app. Still love it today. However, I'm starting to look for other Apple Watch weather apps as Carrot is $25/year (tier 3). I see Dark Sky is now part of Apple so I may try using that and see what happens.

But I wanted to ask you all here. What Apple Watch weather apps are you using and does it seem to work well?

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the native Weather app, Dark Sky and AccuWeather installed in my Watch, however, I use AccuWeather as the complication. With that being said, I haven’t paid any attention to whether or not it updates automatically from city to city, but I will test it out later today and then get back to you.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I’m using the native app, and I haven’t had any issues with it.

I do live and work in the same borough, so no location changes for the app to take into account.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I use Dark Sky but haven’t paid close attention in awhile as to whether it automatically updates regularly from city to city as I travel around. I do remember in the past getting weather notifications when I’m in a different location away from home.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
[mention]Lee_Bo [/mention] two questions that come to mind: which Apple Watch do you have, and is Location Services enabled on your Apple Watch?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I recently switched back to dark star from Forecast Bar because it stopped updating. I’ve made the switch before. And then things seem to right themselves with the previous app and I’d go back. I have noticed lately that dark sky has much more current information than I did before Apple took over.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I use the stock weather app for complications and Dark Sky if I want more details (but, honestly, I tend to do this more on the iPhone).

If the stock weather app isn't updating location, one place to check is on the iPhone, in the Settings app, Settings / Privacy / Location Services. Make sure that location services is turned on at the top and that Apple Watch Faces and the Weather app are both set to "While Using". If Apple Watch Faces is missing (that happened to me after a Settings / General / Reset / Reset All Settings), then I've found the only solution is to unpair the watch and pair it again.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Carrot Weather is my current weather app. Previously used Dark Sky. Both updated location on my watch in a timely manner.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I use the native weather app and Dark Sky on my Apple Watch Series 5. Native app is used for complications. Both update locations.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I use Dark Sky but haven’t paid close attention in awhile as to whether it automatically updates regularly from city to city as I travel around. I do remember in the past getting weather notifications when I’m in a different location away from home.

I can confirm that Dark Sky updates on my Apple Watch Series 5 as I got a weather notification for rain in another city I was in today that wasn’t my home location. So indeed it automatically updates accordingly

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I use The Weather Channel and Carrot (because it has complications I want for the watch). Both change location as expected.