a couple basic questions

joemontana57

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
I live in a fairly remote area in Northwest Montana. Most of the time I have cell service, but sometimes I will be off hiking or mountain biking with no service.

My first question, a friend had one of the first Apple watches, and it was kind of annoying because when we were in service it would have the correct time and then it would stop out of service, then back in service and it would sync up again. Do they still do this?

My second question. Because of movement limitations, I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist. Will this affect anything adversely?
Thanks, Joe

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I live in a fairly remote area in Northwest Montana. Most of the time I have cell service, but sometimes I will be off hiking or mountain biking with no service.

My first question, a friend had one of the first Apple watches, and it was kind of annoying because when we were in service it would have the correct time and then it would stop out of service, then back in service and it would sync up again. Do they still do this?

My second question. Because of movement limitations, I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist. Will this affect anything adversely?
Thanks, Joe

I can tell you that when we went on a cruise 2 years ago, with no wifi service on the ship, my watch continued to show the proper time.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you that when we went on a cruise 2 years ago, with no wifi service on the ship, my watch continued to show the proper time.

Same here.

As for wearing on the inside of the wrist, Apple doesn't support wearing it that way. The heart rate sensor (and blood oxygen sensor on the S6) will not work as well, and the motion sensors, which are used to estimate your movement for the fitness rings, may not detect movement as accurately as when it is worn on the outside of your wrist, and raise to wake may not work properly. However, if that's ok with you, the watch will still work. I am wearing my watch that way right now, and wrist detection is working, and even raise to wake is working. I just took a heart rate measurement and an ECG - both are working.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
First question... not an issue. I live in a remote area as well where I constantly go in and out of service or stay out of service coverage for hours. Time displayed on the Apple Watch has never been an issue for me on my previous S3 (gps)or my current S5 (LTE).

Second question. I’ve heard it’s operational on the inside due to skin tone and tattoos on arms. But I’ve never tested. For me and my line or work, it would get destroyed in that position.