Should I pair my new cellular Watch before unpairing the old one or vice versa?

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I’ve done it before when I went from series 3 to series 4, but I can’t remember how exactly it worked! Should I pair the new watch first or unpair the old watch first?

I am pretty sure Verizon will just transfer my cellular plan to the new watch because I don’t remember having to do anything special.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Transfer cellular to new watch

It’s best to unpair the old, wait for it to finish and then pair the new watch to the iPhone.
When you unpair a watch it gets backed up to your iPhone.
That way you’ll be sure to have the most recent backup of your Watch on your new watch.

Last edited:

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Transfer cellular to new watch

It’s s best to unpair the old, wait for it to finish and then pair the new watch to the iPhone.
When you unpair a watch it gets backed up to your iPhone.
That way you’ll be sure to have the most recent backup of your Watch on your new watch.

Thank you

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Another data point...

I did not unpair my AW4 because I intended to keep it as a sleep watch / backup. When I was adding my AW6, the setup asked me if I wanted to keep the cellular on the AW4 or transfer it to the AW6.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site

Another data point...

I did not unpair my AW4 because I intended to keep it as a sleep watch / backup. When I was adding my AW6, the setup asked me if I wanted to keep the cellular on the AW4 or transfer it to the AW6.

Yeah, I had already decided that’s what I was going to do! I probably won’t unpair my series 4 until I’m ready to sell it. Of course that means I’ll have 4 Apple Watches paired to my phone LOL.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Another data point...

I unpaired my old AW4 and was asked this question after pairing my new AW6. It was pretty seamless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73