AOD is worth it. Battery life on my Series 5 with AOD enabled has been very good. I can make it through an entire day and still have around 25 percent battery left, sometimes more. AOD comes in handy when driving.
    ladyc0524 and Tartarus like this.
    10-11-2020 09:21 PM
    New update to help with battery life! Released
    10-21-2020 03:16 PM
    I ordered my AW6, and it should be here by 5th November 2020. Ugh, the wait

Once received, I will be looking forward to using the AoD. And, to confirm, this can be turned off, too, no?
    iwoodland likes this.
    10-21-2020 03:29 PM

Once received, I will be looking forward to using the AoD. And, to confirm, this can be turned off, too, no?
    You can disable AoD.
    I made shortcuts to make it easier to enable / disable it.

AoD on: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/1b4...2e375c5e5f4ef7

AoD off: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/7ab...c3a89f174b34ab
    anon(10700196) likes this.
    10-21-2020 03:40 PM

Yes it can. You can have a short cut to turn it off and on
    10-21-2020 03:50 PM
    I’ve had my Series6 now for a few weeks, and was using AoD, however I didn’t like the way it drained the battery so quickly so I turned it off.
    I never had it on my old Series4 and I honestly don’t miss it, and turning it off has doubled my battery life from one to two days!
    10-22-2020 02:54 AM
    Hmm, maybe the screen brightness was too high.

I’ve had my Series6 now for a few weeks, and was using AoD, however I didn’t like the way it drained the battery so quickly so I turned it off.
    I never had it on my old Series4 and I honestly don’t miss it, and turning it off has doubled my battery life from one to two days!
    10-22-2020 08:24 AM
    I’ve always had my screen brightness set mid way. Any lower and the screen is not bright enough.
    10-22-2020 08:29 AM
    I just need my watch to get me through the day from waking up to going to bed, and my watch always has plenty to spare. I won't turn off AOD unless the watch won't get me through a day (and even then I'll just do things like charge it while I eat meals.)
    10-22-2020 02:05 PM
    My thinking is, why have a watch display on when you’re not looking at it?
    Most people use either ‘face recognition’ or ‘finger print recognition’ to turn on their iPhones or iPads if they want to use them........would you leave the display set to ‘always on’ and put your phone or tablet in your pocket or bag? Of course not, why have the display on if your not looking at it? You’re just using battery power when you don’t need to!

When (or if) Apple start to use batteries that last several days (even a week), then I’ll probably rethink the idea, but for now AoD remains off!
    10-22-2020 02:20 PM
    Some valid arguments there. Albeit, with a mechanical watch, the 'display' is always on, and still using 'battery'...
    doogald likes this.
    10-22-2020 03:26 PM
    Sure, but how many mechanical watch batteries last 24 hours? I think you’ll find most last around 2 years!
    So come on Apple, isn’t it about time for a 2 year Apple Watch battery?
    10-22-2020 03:35 PM
    ...touche'.
    Modelflier likes this.
    10-22-2020 04:02 PM
    Sure, but how many mechanical watch batteries last 24 hours? I think you’ll find most last around 2 years!
    In only a few years we will all have camera lenses in one eye, a built in screen in the other eye, microphones in our ears, implanted chips for Apple Pay in our wrists, pedometers in our ankles, chips in our hearts and many more things.

I can’t wait for the future to come.

Battery life won’t matter then, because with only a few steps per hour you will have recharged all the things, day in day out
    10-22-2020 04:06 PM
    Unless someone discovers a new element or Apple figures out how to defy the laws of physics (which I don't put past them!), the battery you want will have to be nuclear. Hope you don't mind a little radiation.

I really don't understand why you aren't getting satisfactory battery life with AOD. Even with brightness at near max and heavy use of the watch (~100 mins of exercise means that heart rate monitor is hard at work), I end the day with plenty of battery. And as doogald said, all I need is for it to make it to bedtime.
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-22-2020 04:45 PM
    Most truly mechanical watches do not have batteries and, if they don't self-wind, last a couple of days.

To answer the other question, though, my watch is also my workout watch, and being able to see workout stats at a glance without an exaggerated wrist raise or tap of the face is definitely a strong point of AOD. And my Series 2 was only the second watch I ever had that didn't show the time all of the time - only an early 70's red element LED watch needed a button press to show the time. As I said, I recharge my watch every day, so I don't need battery life longer appreciably than that.
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-23-2020 09:54 AM
    I got the 5. I like it’s always on function
    10-23-2020 06:09 PM
    I got the 5. I like it’s always on function
    To confirm, are you saying AW5 has the AoD feature, too?
    10-23-2020 07:17 PM
    The face on the 5 is always on. It’s a big reason why I upgraded to it from the series 4
    10-23-2020 07:21 PM
    This is my first AW and wife got me the 6 (navy blue). I have to admit I really like it.

I typically have worn mechanical (wind) or automatic (self winding) so was used to having make sure a watch was “charged”. But when I worked out I wore a Garmin Vivoactive. It has GPS, was very thin and had some basic “smart” functions. Not many but enough to keep me satisfied. Wore it for years as my daily and the battery would last 3-4 weeks depending on how much I used GPS. After about 8 years it is still going strong and can easily get 2-3 weeks on a charge.

So I was hesitant with this since it only reported an 18 hour battery life. But I have to tell you. I am getting closer to 32 hours. I have not touched the always on display and been playing with it a lot as I am trying to configure all the faces to find one I like. Problem is there are too many.

So for me, the bottom line is my battery is way better than advertised and I have not even thought about turning off the display. Honesty I didn’t even know that was an option. I like how it dims and then brightens up when lifted.
    10-24-2020 08:54 AM
    I turned off the AOD option on my S5 as soon as I got it, to extend the battery life. I might give it a go to see how much a hit battery life takes. I'll definitely try it on my S6 when it gets here. No shipping confirmation from the Big Apple so far.
    10-31-2020 02:08 AM
    My AW6 was delivered by UPS, yesterday. I have configured it, updated the software, and charged it fully.
    Now, to use it and see how well it does.

PS: AoD is on, and will remain on for now. I do like seeing the screen on, versus flicking my wrist with a 50/50 chance of my screen coming on...
    10-31-2020 05:31 AM
    This is my first AW and wife got me the 6 (navy blue). I have to admit I really like it.

I typically have worn mechanical (wind) or automatic (self winding) so was used to having make sure a watch was “charged”. But when I worked out I wore a Garmin Vivoactive. It has GPS, was very thin and had some basic “smart” functions. Not many but enough to keep me satisfied. Wore it for years as my daily and the battery would last 3-4 weeks depending on how much I used GPS. After about 8 years it is still going strong and can easily get 2-3 weeks on a charge.

So I was hesitant with this since it only reported an 18 hour battery life. But I have to tell you. I am getting closer to 32 hours. I have not touched the always on display and been playing with it a lot as I am trying to configure all the faces to find one I like. Problem is there are too many.

So for me, the bottom line is my battery is way better than advertised and I have not even thought about turning off the display. Honesty I didn’t even know that was an option. I like how it dims and then brightens up when lifted.
    Have several faces you can flick back and forward to with different complications for different occasions
    10-31-2020 06:38 AM
    I have had a couple of Apple Watches over the years, and just got the AW6. I like the AOD. It’s handy when I want to sneak a peak at the time without raising and shaking my wrist, especially while driving. It does dim when not using it, and it also darkens when in DND. My AW6 battery performs much better than my AW4 battery, even with AOD on. All in all, it’s a very worthwhile upgrade. I’m looking forward to pairing it with a new iPhone 12 pro max.
    11-04-2020 11:22 PM
    For around a week now, I have been using my AW6, WITH AoD active.
    I must say, rather impressed, even with battery life. Currently, getting around 2 days of battery life...
    11-05-2020 02:10 AM
50 12