In regard to the newer Watch models, is the always-on display worth it?

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Always On Display

The only time I disable AOD is when I’m traveling and I may not be able to charge my watch every day. I can easily get 2 days of battery life by turning it off. If I have it on it drops to about a day and a half or less.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm getting better battery life from my s6, with AoD on, than I did from my Series 4. I use my watch for sleep tracking and typically wear my watch 22 or more hours, per day, and finish the day with around 40%. I suspect, as parker5011 mentioned he could do, I'd get two days of battery if I turned AoD off.

The other major thing I noticed is how much brighter the screen is, it makes the screen look much better than my s4 did (not that my s4 looked bad).

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Always On Display

AOD is worth it. Battery life on my Series 5 with AOD enabled has been very good. I can make it through an entire day and still have around 25 percent battery left, sometimes more. AOD comes in handy when driving.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site

I ordered my AW6, and it should be here by 5th November 2020. Ugh, the wait :rotfl:

Once received, I will be looking forward to using the AoD. And, to confirm, this can be turned off, too, no?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I ordered my AW6, and it should be here by 5th November 2020. Ugh, the wait :rotfl:

Once received, I will be looking forward to using the AoD. And, to confirm, this can be turned off, too, no?

Yes it can. You can have a short cut to turn it off and on

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I’ve had my Series6 now for a few weeks, and was using AoD, however I didn’t like the way it drained the battery so quickly so I turned it off.
I never had it on my old Series4 and I honestly don’t miss it, and turning it off has doubled my battery life from one to two days!

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site

Hmm, maybe the screen brightness was too high.

I’ve had my Series6 now for a few weeks, and was using AoD, however I didn’t like the way it drained the battery so quickly so I turned it off.
I never had it on my old Series4 and I honestly don’t miss it, and turning it off has doubled my battery life from one to two days!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I just need my watch to get me through the day from waking up to going to bed, and my watch always has plenty to spare. I won't turn off AOD unless the watch won't get me through a day (and even then I'll just do things like charge it while I eat meals.)

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

My thinking is, why have a watch display on when you’re not looking at it?
Most people use either ‘face recognition’ or ‘finger print recognition’ to turn on their iPhones or iPads if they want to use them........would you leave the display set to ‘always on’ and put your phone or tablet in your pocket or bag? Of course not, why have the display on if your not looking at it? You’re just using battery power when you don’t need to!

When (or if) Apple start to use batteries that last several days (even a week), then I’ll probably rethink the idea, but for now AoD remains off!

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Always On Display

Sure, but how many mechanical watch batteries last 24 hours? I think you’ll find most last around 2 years!
So come on Apple, isn’t it about time for a 2 year Apple Watch battery?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Always On Display

Sure, but how many mechanical watch batteries last 24 hours? I think you’ll find most last around 2 years!

In only a few years we will all have camera lenses in one eye, a built in screen in the other eye, microphones in our ears, implanted chips for Apple Pay in our wrists, pedometers in our ankles, chips in our hearts and many more things.

I can’t wait for the future to come.

Battery life won’t matter then, because with only a few steps per hour you will have recharged all the things, day in day out

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Unless someone discovers a new element or Apple figures out how to defy the laws of physics (which I don't put past them!), the battery you want will have to be nuclear. Hope you don't mind a little radiation. :rotfl:

I really don't understand why you aren't getting satisfactory battery life with AOD. Even with brightness at near max and heavy use of the watch (~100 mins of exercise means that heart rate monitor is hard at work), I end the day with plenty of battery. And as doogald said, all I need is for it to make it to bedtime.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro