For those with a newer Apple Watch, is Always On Display, 'worth it'?
    From a battery perspective and day to day used, not fully sold on it. Hence, my question.
    10-07-2020 02:58 PM
    I just upgraded from a S4 to a S6, and I have seen increased battery life. I’m ending the day around 20-25%, 6am to 11pm. I increased brightness to max and left display always on.
    tee_cup likes this.
    10-07-2020 03:04 PM
    From a battery perspective and day to day used, not fully sold on it. Hence, my question.
    Since it’s getting cold again and I’m wearing long sleeves now, I haven’t had much time to experience the added benefits of AoD.
    But believe you me, in the short time that I had short sleeves on, it was definitely worth it while driving. I didn’t have to move my wrist from the steering wheel while driving, so there’s that.

I am still undecided about it for now, so I made it easier for myself to enable and disable AoD via shortcuts.

AoD on: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/bf6...a026fa00f3f7aa

AoD off: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/edd...32f686d65bb7b5
    tee_cup likes this.
    10-07-2020 03:05 PM
    I'm not sure I gave it a fair chance, but I didn't like the effect it had on my battery, and my impression was that was what many others felt as well. That said, you might want to check it out for yourself, just to see!
    tee_cup likes this.
    10-07-2020 03:05 PM
    My AW6 gets the same battery life that my AW4 did and I really like Always On.
    tee_cup and scruffypig like this.
    10-07-2020 03:23 PM
    After having an S2 and now an S5 I would not buy an AW without AOD and will not disable it just to save battery life. If my battery deteriorates that much that I can't get through a day, I'll upgrade to a new watch.
    tee_cup and Tartarus like this.
    10-07-2020 03:40 PM
    It’s worth it to me. In addition, I get the same great battery life I’ve always gotten with my previous Watch models. Besides, I’ve had my Series 5 for quite a while now so I don’t even pay any attention to the display except for when I’m using it.
    tee_cup likes this.
    10-07-2020 05:04 PM
    I will add, something that has frustrated me from time to time, is waking the screen, with a flick of the wrist.
    From time to time, it does not always work. So, I am willing to bet the AoD, would certainly be a benefit during those needed times.
    Just_Me_D, Tartarus and doogald like this.
    10-07-2020 05:07 PM
    I will add, something that has frustrated me from time to time, is waking the screen, with a flick of the wrist.
    From time to time, it does not always work. So, I am willing to bet the AoD, would certainly be a benefit during those needed times.
    It’s quite nice to be able to take a peek at the time without having to overtly turn your wrist.
    tee_cup likes this.
    10-07-2020 05:18 PM
    To be clear, if my Missus gets mad at me for buying an AW6, I am pointing her to your post. Just saying

It’s quite nice to be able to take a peek at the time without having to overtly turn your wrist.
    ReVu30, Annie_M, Tartarus and 1 others like this.
    10-07-2020 05:24 PM
    Side question:
    Will the bands for my AW3 and AW4 (44mm), fit the AW6?

Currently have no way to print the paper measuring thingy. And, I have plenty of nice colour bands as is (Lime, Yellow, Red, all official Apple bands)...
    10-07-2020 05:37 PM
    To be clear, if my Missus gets mad at me for buying an AW6, I am pointing her to your post. Just saying
    (Laughing)....I hear ya....
    Annie_M and ReVu30 like this.
    10-07-2020 06:45 PM
    I am seeing about the same if not better battery life with my Series 6 with AOD than with my Series 4. It is staying on. Remember Always On Display isn’t the display on at full power and animation. It is low power and no animation.
    10-07-2020 07:23 PM
    I am seeing about the same if not better battery life with my Series 6 with AOD than with my Series 4. It is staying on. Remember Always On Display isn’t the display on at full power and animation. It is low power and no animation.
    There’s definitely animation. I think the refresh has to be much lower. If you’re working out, the milliseconds disappear and the seconds continue ticking for AOD.
    10-07-2020 07:33 PM
    There’s definitely animation. I think the refresh has to be much lower. If you’re working out, the milliseconds disappear and the seconds continue ticking for AOD.
    It must depend on the watch face and complications used. I have no animation or seconds when my Watch 6 goes into Always On Display with the watch face use. It goes completely static.
    10-07-2020 08:11 PM
    Side question:
    Will the bands for my AW3 and AW4 (44mm), fit the AW6?
    Yes, as long as it's the same class Apple Watch size.
    In other words, the bands for the smaller Apple Watch will attach with the smaller Series 6. And those for the larger watch with the larger Series 6.
    tee_cup likes this.
    10-07-2020 08:15 PM
    It must depend on the watch face and complications used. I have no animation or seconds when my Watch 6 goes into Always On Display with the watch face use. It goes completely static.
    [IMG=324x394]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201008/e209d9aa1ec53179214c42270f2ec170.jpg[/url]
    Start a workout and turn your wrist away from you. On earlier models, the watch would turn black. On the always on display, the display dims, the milliseconds disappear, and the seconds continue to tick.
    doogald likes this.
    10-07-2020 08:26 PM
    Start a workout and turn your wrist away from you. On earlier models, the watch would turn black. On the always on display, the display dims, the milliseconds disappear, and the seconds continue to tick.
    Okay gotcha. It depends on what you are doing. When I am not in an app and turn my watch away, my watch face turns static and dims no animation and no seconds. It eventually turns black. Of course I have a 6. I went from a 4 to a 6.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 10-09-2020 at 05:26 AM.
    10-08-2020 06:14 AM
    This. This was what frustrated me most about not having AOD on the S2 - going for a run, glancing at my wrist to see how far and how long I'd been running, and seeing a black screen. That doesn't happen anymore (at least with the stock workouts app, but that's that one that I use anyway.)
    10-08-2020 09:41 AM
    Okay gotcha. It depends on what you are doing. When I am not in an app and turn my watch away, my watch face turns static and dims no animation and no seconds. It eventually turns black.
    Turns black on the s5 or s6? And there has to be animation or the time would never change

This. This was what frustrated me most about not having AOD on the S2 - going for a run, glancing at my wrist to see how far and how long I'd been running, and seeing a black screen. That doesn't happen anymore (at least with the stock workouts app, but that's that one that I use anyway.)
    Yep. I love it.
    10-08-2020 09:45 AM
    The only time I disable AOD is when I’m traveling and I may not be able to charge my watch every day. I can easily get 2 days of battery life by turning it off. If I have it on it drops to about a day and a half or less.
    10-08-2020 05:18 PM
    Went form a 4 to a 6. AOD is great!!!
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    10-09-2020 12:27 AM
    I will definitely re-visit AOD when I get a new Watch!
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-09-2020 08:52 AM
    I'm getting better battery life from my s6, with AoD on, than I did from my Series 4. I use my watch for sleep tracking and typically wear my watch 22 or more hours, per day, and finish the day with around 40%. I suspect, as parker5011 mentioned he could do, I'd get two days of battery if I turned AoD off.

The other major thing I noticed is how much brighter the screen is, it makes the screen look much better than my s4 did (not that my s4 looked bad).
    Annie_M and tee_cup like this.
    10-09-2020 01:18 PM
    Turns black on the s5 or s6? And there has to be animation or the time would never change

Yep. I love it.
    I figured out the issue. I turned off and back on Always On Display, and now my display is staying on as designed.
    10-11-2020 08:07 AM
45 12