In regard to the newer Watch models, is the always-on display worth it?

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
For those with a newer Apple Watch, is Always On Display, 'worth it'?
From a battery perspective and day to day used, not fully sold on it. Hence, my question.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Always On Display

I just upgraded from a S4 to a S6, and I have seen increased battery life. I’m ending the day around 20-25%, 6am to 11pm. I increased brightness to max and left display always on.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

From a battery perspective and day to day used, not fully sold on it. Hence, my question.

Since it’s getting cold again and I’m wearing long sleeves now, I haven’t had much time to experience the added benefits of AoD.
But believe you me, in the short time that I had short sleeves on, it was definitely worth it while driving. I didn’t have to move my wrist from the steering wheel while driving, so there’s that.

I am still undecided about it for now, so I made it easier for myself to enable and disable AoD via shortcuts.

AoD on: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/bf6fb95b2fcf485ab5a026fa00f3f7aa

AoD off: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/edd1c0d19afb4faf9032f686d65bb7b5

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I'm not sure I gave it a fair chance, but I didn't like the effect it had on my battery, and my impression was that was what many others felt as well. That said, you might want to check it out for yourself, just to see!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

My AW6 gets the same battery life that my AW4 did and I really like Always On.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

After having an S2 and now an S5 I would not buy an AW without AOD and will not disable it just to save battery life. If my battery deteriorates that much that I can't get through a day, I'll upgrade to a new watch.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It’s worth it to me. In addition, I get the same great battery life I’ve always gotten with my previous Watch models. Besides, I’ve had my Series 5 for quite a while now so I don’t even pay any attention to the display except for when I’m using it.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site

I will add, something that has frustrated me from time to time, is waking the screen, with a flick of the wrist.
From time to time, it does not always work. So, I am willing to bet the AoD, would certainly be a benefit during those needed times.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I will add, something that has frustrated me from time to time, is waking the screen, with a flick of the wrist.
From time to time, it does not always work. So, I am willing to bet the AoD, would certainly be a benefit during those needed times.

It’s quite nice to be able to take a peek at the time without having to overtly turn your wrist.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site

Side question:
Will the bands for my AW3 and AW4 (44mm), fit the AW6?

Currently have no way to print the paper measuring thingy. And, I have plenty of nice colour bands as is (Lime, Yellow, Red, all official Apple bands)...

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I am seeing about the same if not better battery life with my Series 6 with AOD than with my Series 4. It is staying on. Remember Always On Display isn’t the display on at full power and animation. It is low power and no animation.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site

I am seeing about the same if not better battery life with my Series 6 with AOD than with my Series 4. It is staying on. Remember Always On Display isn’t the display on at full power and animation. It is low power and no animation.

There’s definitely animation. I think the refresh has to be much lower. If you’re working out, the milliseconds disappear and the seconds continue ticking for AOD.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Always On Display

There’s definitely animation. I think the refresh has to be much lower. If you’re working out, the milliseconds disappear and the seconds continue ticking for AOD.

It must depend on the watch face and complications used. I have no animation or seconds when my Watch 6 goes into Always On Display with the watch face use. It goes completely static.
e209d9aa1ec53179214c42270f2ec170.jpg

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Side question:
Will the bands for my AW3 and AW4 (44mm), fit the AW6?

Yes, as long as it's the same class Apple Watch size.
In other words, the bands for the smaller Apple Watch will attach with the smaller Series 6. And those for the larger watch with the larger Series 6.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site

It must depend on the watch face and complications used. I have no animation or seconds when my Watch 6 goes into Always On Display with the watch face use. It goes completely static.
e209d9aa1ec53179214c42270f2ec170.jpg

Start a workout and turn your wrist away from you. On earlier models, the watch would turn black. On the always on display, the display dims, the milliseconds disappear, and the seconds continue to tick.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Always On Display

Start a workout and turn your wrist away from you. On earlier models, the watch would turn black. On the always on display, the display dims, the milliseconds disappear, and the seconds continue to tick.

Okay gotcha. It depends on what you are doing. When I am not in an app and turn my watch away, my watch face turns static and dims no animation and no seconds. It eventually turns black. Of course I have a 6. I went from a 4 to a 6.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

This. This was what frustrated me most about not having AOD on the S2 - going for a run, glancing at my wrist to see how far and how long I'd been running, and seeing a black screen. That doesn't happen anymore (at least with the stock workouts app, but that's that one that I use anyway.)

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site

Okay gotcha. It depends on what you are doing. When I am not in an app and turn my watch away, my watch face turns static and dims no animation and no seconds. It eventually turns black.

Turns black on the s5 or s6? And there has to be animation or the time would never change

This. This was what frustrated me most about not having AOD on the S2 - going for a run, glancing at my wrist to see how far and how long I'd been running, and seeing a black screen. That doesn't happen anymore (at least with the stock workouts app, but that's that one that I use anyway.)

Yep. I love it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR