I’m waiting for my new Apple Watch to arrive today, and I’ve got my rubber gloves and mask ready to combat the germs that might be in the box! I don’t know if it’s necessary but my husband insists.
    09-21-2020 09:51 AM
    I guess this hasn't occurred to me, but a little precaution wouldn't hurt... better safe than sorry!
    09-21-2020 09:54 AM
    I’m waiting for my new Apple Watch to arrive today, and I’ve got my rubber gloves and mask ready to combat the germs that might be in the box! I don’t know if it’s necessary but my husband insists.
    You shouldn’t need to. As far as I know the coronavirus doesn’t last that long. But you shouldn’t take my word for it.
    But, it is always good to be extra cautious.
    JML5150, nikkisharif and TgeekB like this.
    09-21-2020 09:55 AM
    I was wondering the same thing.
    09-21-2020 10:00 AM
    I will just because I’ve been doing so with all packages from places like Amazon and that.
    09-21-2020 10:43 AM
    You should take precautions with the exterior box, because that one can be done infected by anyone in the delivery chain, including the person doing the delivery to your door.

Anything inside the box should be fine. By the time it gets to your door, any SARS-CoV-II “germs” should be dead.
    09-21-2020 11:33 AM
    Any packages that get delivered to my home get disinfected first. Not because of where they came from, but because they were physically handled by numerous people, including the delivery agent, right up to my door.
    ReVu30, nikkisharif and pr1nce like this.
    09-21-2020 11:54 AM
    Paranoia, the germs can’t live on the packaging, it’s totally pointless and silly. By the time it gets to you it’s impossible to be on there.

People need to get a grip.
    09-21-2020 01:03 PM
    Paranoia, the germs can’t live on the packaging, it’s totally pointless and silly. By the time it gets to you it’s impossible to be on there.

People need to get a grip.
    You’re wrong.
    It’s proven that the coronavirus can survive up to a few days on surfaces.
    People need correct information is what it is.
    ReVu30, nikkisharif, MB64 and 1 others like this.
    09-21-2020 01:15 PM
    Why would this be any different from a packages that comes from Amazon? If you would treat an Amazon package with safety, then do the same for this.
    09-21-2020 01:26 PM
    I work at the post office. Before your package and mail arrives to you, it go through so many machines and is bumped around before it arrives in your hands, mailbox or porch. The coronavirus don’t live long on these items if they are on it. We have had this talk with our managers and supervisors. I have worked throughout the entire pandemic and not once have I came into contact with mail or packages that anyone would think would be on it. I also wear a mask while working and change my gloves out several times a day and also carry hand sanitizer with me. You’re wasting your Lysol spray spraying a box or mail. To give you peace of mind just use gloves, open boxes and dispose of them immediately. For mail just let it sit in your mailbox but I have to warn you that if your box is full we won’t deliver your mail that day.
    Last edited by staceymj86; 09-21-2020 at 06:04 PM.
    nikkisharif and Annie_M like this.
    09-21-2020 04:03 PM
    You’re wrong.
    It’s proven that the coronavirus can survive up to a few days on surfaces.
    People need correct information is what it is.
    While it can be detected up to a few days on a surface the virus is not viable. People need the correct information.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-21-2020 05:07 PM
    While it can be detected up to a few days on a surface the virus is not viable. People need the correct information.
    That’s true. It’s just never wrong to be extra cautious though. I said as much in my initial reply to the question.

Also, I work for the Dutch equivalent of UPS and handle around 200 packages per day, 5 times a week with my bare hands. I’m not afraid.
    But I won’t tell somebody else to not be afraid either. I need a clean conscience.
    nikkisharif and Annie_M like this.
    09-21-2020 05:16 PM
    That’s true. It’s just never wrong to be extra cautious though. I said as much in my initial reply to the question.

Also, I work for the Dutch equivalent of UPS and handle around 200 packages per day, 5 times a week with my bare hands. I’m not afraid.
    But I won’t tell somebody else to not be afraid either. I need a clean conscience.
    Fair enough. I agree people should go with what they are comfortable with, just not panic.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-21-2020 05:33 PM
    Any packages that get delivered to my home get disinfected first. Not because of where they came from, but because they were physically handled by numerous people, including the delivery agent, right up to my door.
    Here to. They don’t come into the house before being disinfected in the garage.
    09-22-2020 10:45 AM
    No, I do not take extra precautions on shipments from China.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-22-2020 01:59 PM
    I work at the post office. Before your package and mail arrives to you, it go through so many machines and is bumped around before it arrives in your hands, mailbox or porch. The coronavirus don’t live long on these items if they are on it. We have had this talk with our managers and supervisors. I have worked throughout the entire pandemic and not once have I came into contact with mail or packages that anyone would think would be on it. I also wear a mask while working and change my gloves out several times a day and also carry hand sanitizer with me. You’re wasting your Lysol spray spraying a box or mail. To give you peace of mind just use gloves, open boxes and dispose of them immediately. For mail just let it sit in your mailbox but I have to warn you that if your box is full we won’t deliver your mail that day.
    This seems like very good advice!
    09-22-2020 02:01 PM
    There are different types of surfaces.
    A countertop, for instance, could harbor the virus for a while if not cleaned. It is a hard surface.
    A cardboard box, which is porous, is less likely. Also, as someone previously mentioned, it is bouncing around in a truck and going through machines. Not a good way for a virus to survive.
    Washing your hands, not the boxes, is the best advice but everyone should do what works for them.
    Tartarus and nikkisharif like this.
    09-22-2020 11:39 PM
    No, I do not. Call me cavalier, but I have absolutely no concern at all.
    DarkKnight08 and nikkisharif like this.
    09-23-2020 12:17 AM
    No, I do not. Call me cavalier, but I have absolutely no concern at all.
    Cavalier
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    09-23-2020 06:33 AM
    I stopped ordering stuff from China !
    09-23-2020 12:08 PM
    Sounds like Samsung is for you then
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-23-2020 12:10 PM
    And I stopped ordering stuff from the USA. It doesn’t mean anything

SARS-CoV-II (the virus causing the COVID-19 disease) is present in pretty much every country, in varying degrees, similar to the prevalence of the common cold, flu or even HIV.

It’s all about the health precautions you take, like proper hand washing after handling objects that come from outside your house.

I’m not going to tell you to not buy goods from X or Y region, but SARS-CoV-II is not a good reason for doing so.
    Last edited by Ed7789; 09-23-2020 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Elaborated my thought process
    Tartarus, nikkisharif and doogald like this.
    09-23-2020 12:15 PM
    It shouldn’t matter where the package is coming from. To take extra precautions because of where a package is from is just another form of discrimination. If you’re going to take precautions, take them everywhere.
    Garz, calebt, TgeekB and 2 others like this.
    09-23-2020 03:19 PM
    It shouldn’t matter where the package is coming from. To take extra precautions because of where a package is from is just another form of discrimination. If you’re going to take precautions, take them everywhere.
    Exactly this. Even more so because China has all but conquered the virus, if we may trust the reports.
    nikkisharif and scruffypig like this.
    09-23-2020 03:41 PM
26 12