Do you take extra precautions when opening a package from China?

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I’m waiting for my new Apple Watch to arrive today, and I’ve got my rubber gloves and mask ready to combat the germs that might be in the box! I don’t know if it’s necessary but my husband insists.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m waiting for my new Apple Watch to arrive today, and I’ve got my rubber gloves and mask ready to combat the germs that might be in the box! I don’t know if it’s necessary but my husband insists.

You shouldn’t need to. As far as I know the coronavirus doesn’t last that long. But you shouldn’t take my word for it.
But, it is always good to be extra cautious.

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site

I was wondering the same thing.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
You should take precautions with the exterior box, because that one can be done infected by anyone in the delivery chain, including the person doing the delivery to your door.

Anything inside the box should be fine. By the time it gets to your door, any SARS-CoV-II “germs” should be dead.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Any packages that get delivered to my home get disinfected first. Not because of where they came from, but because they were physically handled by numerous people, including the delivery agent, right up to my door.

davecatherall

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Paranoia, the germs can’t live on the packaging, it’s totally pointless and silly. By the time it gets to you it’s impossible to be on there.

People need to get a grip.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Paranoia, the germs can’t live on the packaging, it’s totally pointless and silly. By the time it gets to you it’s impossible to be on there.

People need to get a grip.

You’re wrong.
It’s proven that the coronavirus can survive up to a few days on surfaces.
People need correct information is what it is.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Why would this be any different from a packages that comes from Amazon? If you would treat an Amazon package with safety, then do the same for this.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I work at the post office. Before your package and mail arrives to you, it go through so many machines and is bumped around before it arrives in your hands, mailbox or porch. The coronavirus don’t live long on these items if they are on it. We have had this talk with our managers and supervisors. I have worked throughout the entire pandemic and not once have I came into contact with mail or packages that anyone would think would be on it. I also wear a mask while working and change my gloves out several times a day and also carry hand sanitizer with me. You’re wasting your Lysol spray spraying a box or mail. To give you peace of mind just use gloves, open boxes and dispose of them immediately. For mail just let it sit in your mailbox but I have to warn you that if your box is full we won’t deliver your mail that day.

Last edited:

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You’re wrong.
It’s proven that the coronavirus can survive up to a few days on surfaces.
People need correct information is what it is.

While it can be detected up to a few days on a surface the virus is not viable. People need the correct information.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
While it can be detected up to a few days on a surface the virus is not viable. People need the correct information.

That’s true. It’s just never wrong to be extra cautious though. I said as much in my initial reply to the question.

Also, I work for the Dutch equivalent of UPS and handle around 200 packages per day, 5 times a week with my bare hands. I’m not afraid.
But I won’t tell somebody else to not be afraid either. I need a clean conscience.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That’s true. It’s just never wrong to be extra cautious though. I said as much in my initial reply to the question.

Also, I work for the Dutch equivalent of UPS and handle around 200 packages per day, 5 times a week with my bare hands. I’m not afraid.
But I won’t tell somebody else to not be afraid either. I need a clean conscience.

Fair enough. I agree people should go with what they are comfortable with, just not panic.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Any packages that get delivered to my home get disinfected first. Not because of where they came from, but because they were physically handled by numerous people, including the delivery agent, right up to my door.

Here to. They don’t come into the house before being disinfected in the garage.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I work at the post office. Before your package and mail arrives to you, it go through so many machines and is bumped around before it arrives in your hands, mailbox or porch. The coronavirus don’t live long on these items if they are on it. We have had this talk with our managers and supervisors. I have worked throughout the entire pandemic and not once have I came into contact with mail or packages that anyone would think would be on it. I also wear a mask while working and change my gloves out several times a day and also carry hand sanitizer with me. You’re wasting your Lysol spray spraying a box or mail. To give you peace of mind just use gloves, open boxes and dispose of them immediately. For mail just let it sit in your mailbox but I have to warn you that if your box is full we won’t deliver your mail that day.

This seems like very good advice!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
There are different types of surfaces.
A countertop, for instance, could harbor the virus for a while if not cleaned. It is a hard surface.
A cardboard box, which is porous, is less likely. Also, as someone previously mentioned, it is bouncing around in a truck and going through machines. Not a good way for a virus to survive.
Washing your hands, not the boxes, is the best advice but everyone should do what works for them.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods