Can I put mp3 files on my new Watch Series 6?

rego342

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
I just bought my first Apple Watch a few days ago...series 6. Thought it would be a waste...I only wanted to measure blood oxygen and ECG but was pleasantly surprised the watch is actually quite useful and super fun.

Question:

Unfortunately Google music does not offer an app to play Google music on the watch (only iphone)...I own 67 songs and want to play the music I paid for. I looked all over the Internet and most everything uses itunes to solve the problem (problem is itunes is now discontinued). I even looked into using a podcast player as a sort of hack. There is no folder system on the apple watch either...

Anyone have ideas? I am trying to stay away from Apple Music etc. where I have to pay a subscription since I already own the music. The files are mp3 which are quite common and are already on my iphone in the files folder.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Mp3 Music on apple watch

Welcome to iMore. And congratulations on your first Apple Watch.

If you are using a PC, use iTunes. It is not discontinued on that platform.
If you are using a Mac, use the Music app. It superseded iTunes.

Then, sync your iPhone with your computer by plugging it in and using iTunes/Finder.

rego342

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site

Thanks for the reply :) No problem with itunes on my computer - up and running. The problem I have is with my apple watch. I have the mp3 on my iphone already but have no way to get the mp3 to my apple watch.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply :) No problem with itunes on my computer - up and running. The problem I have is with my apple watch. I have the mp3 on my iphone already but have no way to get the mp3 to my apple watch.

Go to your Watch app on your iPhone and select “Music” then select “Add music “.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Is the music in your iPhone’s Music app?

That’s where the Apple Watch will download music from.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

rego342

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site

No - it's in the files folder on the iphone. I don't want to pay a monthly subscription is the problem.

rego342

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site

Thank you! I just figured it out watching a youtube video. I used my PC which still has itunes...then I plugged in my iphone...then I dragged the music which was on my PC to the music folder on my iphone...then my Apple watch automatically synced music...EASY. I will look at your solution now...everyone here was so nice to help me thank you!!

rego342

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site

Ugghh...I had to get blue tooth headphones...connected but the mp3 won't play on the watch...only on the iphone...other songs bought from Apple work but not the Google play mp3s...I will read on my own and post the solution and if I cannot figure out will ask everyone here.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Ugghh...I had to get blue tooth headphones...connected but the mp3 won't play on the watch...only on the iphone...other songs bought from Apple work but not the Google play mp3s...I will read on my own and post the solution and if I cannot figure out will ask everyone here.

You need to add music to your Apple Watch from the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. I have added plenty of non-Apple sound files including mp3s. I am not sure about Google mp3s since I don’t have any. Amazon and BandCamp mp3s work fine. The files will transfer to your Watch when it is charging and hour iPhone is near by.

Last edited:

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Since this post is almost 16 months old, you've probably figured it out or given up by now. But just in case anyone else is having a similar problem --

The iPhone and Apple Watch will play ANY mp3 file. 1. Use itunes to add mp3 files to your Library (or just drag and drop from Windows Explorer). 2. Use itunes to transfer mp3 files from the itunes Library to the iPhone. 3. Use the Watch app on the iPhone to select the mp3 files you want (it will call them songs, even if they are not music) and add them to the watch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods