I can’t update my Apple Watch Software because somewhere along the line my iPhone thinks it’s a dandy idea to switch from my 2.5GHZ network back to my 5GHz network...and then of course my watch can’t be found and kills the whole process.

Any ideas on how to tell the iPhone to STOP being so “helpful”.
    09-17-2020 10:30 AM
    I have never had this type of issue before, however, maybe you could go into the routers settings and disable the 5ghz band until the updates
    are done and then turn them back on.
    09-17-2020 12:16 PM
    The long way round, assuming you have a dual band router, would be to go to the Router settings and split the two bands - naming one 5 GHz. Then you can select the 2.4 GHz band when you join the phone to the WiFi.
    09-17-2020 12:20 PM
    The long way round, assuming you have a dual band router, would be to go to the Router settings and split the two bands - naming one 5 GHz. Then you can select the 2.4 GHz band when you join the phone to the WiFi.
    They are separate, and I go to the WiFi and select the 2.4 but the phone sees the 5 and auto switches over thinking it’s more efficient.
    09-17-2020 01:15 PM
    I have never had this type of issue before, however, maybe you could go into the routers settings and disable the 5ghz band until the updates
    are done and then turn them back on.
    I can try...not sure if I have the option on my end.
    09-17-2020 01:16 PM
    They are separate, and I go to the WiFi and select the 2.4 but the phone sees the 5 and auto switches over thinking it’s more efficient.
    Find the 5GHz WiFi on your iPhone, tap the (i) next to it and disable auto-join.
    But that shouldn’t have to matter.
    No matter what connection your iPhone is on, the Apple Watch will use the iPhones connection to the internet.
    09-17-2020 01:48 PM
    Whilst you are trying to update the watch, could you get further away from the router so as to force the phone over to the 2.4 band?
    09-17-2020 03:15 PM
    Find the 5GHz WiFi on your iPhone, tap the (i) next to it and disable auto-join.
    But that shouldn’t have to matter.
    No matter what connection your iPhone is on, the Apple Watch will use the iPhones connection to the internet.
    Unfortunately that doesn’t work...it’s the same signal so you can’t lose one without the other.
    09-17-2020 04:46 PM
    Whilst you are trying to update the watch, could you get further away from the router so as to force the phone over to the 2.4 band?
    That might work...I was getting closer so the strength was high and the iPhone wouldn’t kick over .... didn’t think of getting out of the range of the 5GHz
    09-17-2020 04:47 PM
    Another approach is to name both the same.

That way, both devices will be seeing the same network and will assume they can talk to each other.

My understanding is that the Apple Watch will use WiFi to update.
    09-17-2020 04:49 PM
    There is something fundamentally wrong. My iPhone uses my 5Ghz router band and has no problem connecting to my watch.
    doogald and Tartarus like this.
    09-17-2020 05:05 PM