No more USB power adapter with Apple Watch

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I understand Apple is trying to reduce their carbon footprint, but the assumption that customers have a dedicated adapter is a mighty big assumption. How do y’all feel about this being removed?

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I understand Apple is trying to reduce their carbon footprint, but the assumption that customers have a dedicated adapter is a mighty big assumption. How do y’all feel about this being removed?

Wow. I didn’t catch that. My daughter is doing virtual learning at the same time and I was distracted.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
At this point, why do they include them in the box? Just have a supply at the store, and when someone buys one, ask if they need one.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Not surprised that it happened. For me I never used the ones in the box usually they stay in a drawer or in a travel bag. All of my chargers now are the usb type c anker dual chargers so for me it just becomes something extra to have and not needed.

But for the assumption of someone has chargers or doesn't need a new one and most likely will have to go out and buy a new charger is a bit too soon.

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have two Apple watch cables. The one that came with my original Series 0 watch, which is now frayed and damaged, and the one that came with my Series 4. However, I have a ton of Lightning cables, maybe about a dozen.

If I buy a new watch in the future, and i'll probably get the Apple Watch 8 unless the 7 is a game-changer for me, then i'll really need another cable too. It seems like this is just a way Apple can nickel and dime people even more than they already do, under the guise of 'saving the planet'.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don’t need another adapter, so it doesn’t really bother me too much. I just hate they aren’t thinking about the people that don’t have the luxury of extra ones laying around.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I might go get a wireless Qi charger (if those are compatible). Otherwise, I already have one unused Apple Watch charger, so this doesn't bother me.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don’t need another adapter, so it doesn’t really bother me too much. I just hate they aren’t thinking about the people that don’t have the luxury of extra ones laying around.

"I'd like an Apple Watch please."

"Certainly sir, that's be <DOLLARS>. Oh and you'll want a charger too if this is your first watch."

"Well yes naturally."

"Certainly sir, that'll cost you <DOLLARS> extra."

"Are you kidding me?"

(I estimate that a charging cable will be about $30, as that is what they are currently).

So in that scenario, the Apple Watch will likely be $30 (plus tax, because 'Murica) more than the advertised price. Sorry, I find this wrong. I get that companies want to reduce costs, some under the 'convenient' excuse of helping the environment, but Apple is a 2 trillion dollar company and now I feel like they are bending us over just a little bit more than they usually do merely for a percentage.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my iPhone and wouldn't swap it for the world but this just shows that if the rumours were true for the Apple Watch, then I think the iPhone will just come in a box on its own with nothing else included. Whilst I have a ton of cables and use Airpod Pros, I still feel like they are taking advantage of the end user somewhat.

I am entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, having an iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 9.7, Apple Watch S4 and Airpod Pro, but I still feel like they are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts merely to help the environment. All I can say is thank goodness I don't own a Mac of any kind. I dodged a bullet there methinks. I don't think Macs offer value for money even the tiniest bit. I know the same could be said for iPhones too but with the likes of Samsung pricing their flagship phone *above* what Apple charges for theirs, I feel this is less of an issue.

It's weird, I am not intending on upgrading my Watch but I feel incensed by this move more than I think I should be.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
"I'd like an Apple Watch please."

"Certainly sir, that's be <DOLLARS>. Oh and you'll want a charger too if this is your first watch."

"Well yes naturally."

"Certainly sir, that'll cost you <DOLLARS> extra."

"Are you kidding me?"

(I estimate that a charging cable will be about $30, as that is what they are currently).

So in that scenario, the Apple Watch will likely be $30 (plus tax, because 'Murica) more than the advertised price. Sorry, I find this wrong. I get that companies want to reduce costs, some under the 'convenient' excuse of helping the environment, but Apple is a 2 trillion dollar company and now I feel like they are bending us over just a little bit more than they usually do merely for a percentage.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my iPhone and wouldn't swap it for the world but this just shows that if the rumours were true for the Apple Watch, then I think the iPhone will just come in a box on its own with nothing else included. Whilst I have a ton of cables and use Airpod Pros, I still feel like they are taking advantage of the end user somewhat.

I am entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, having an iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 9.7, Apple Watch S4 and Airpod Pro, but I still feel like they are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts merely to help the environment. All I can say is thank goodness I don't own a Mac of any kind. I dodged a bullet there methinks. I don't think Macs offer value for money even the tiniest bit. I know the same could be said for iPhones too but with the likes of Samsung pricing their flagship phone *above* what Apple charges for theirs, I feel this is less of an issue.

It's weird, I am not intending on upgrading my Watch but I feel incensed by this move more than I think I should be.

Honestly? I think you’re overthinking this.
Most people already have cables and chargers.
I myself have 4 lightning cables and charging bricks.
I don’t need another in the new box.
Of course there is some validity in Apple using environment as an excuse to reduce costs, but it does help the environment and also saves me some room in my already overflowing charger / cables drawer.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site

Then they should knock $20-30 off the price. I say this because the watch charger is unique to the watch and isn’t nearly as prevalent as iPhone chargers.

Just seems like a bit of a money grab by keeping prices the same but getting less.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Then they should knock $20-30 off the price. I say this because the watch charger is unique to the watch and isn’t nearly as prevalent as iPhone chargers.

Just seems like a bit of a money grab by keeping prices the same but getting less.

Last year the Watch series 5 44mm was €479, this year the Watch series 6 44mm is €459. I do think they already reduced the price with €20.
American prices ex vat may differ though, but it’s cheaper than last years watches.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly? I think you’re overthinking this.
Most people already have cables and chargers.
I myself have 4 lightning cables and charging bricks.
I don’t need another in the new box.
Of course there is some validity in Apple using environment as an excuse to reduce costs, but it does help the environment and also saves me some room in my already overflowing charger / cables drawer.

I understand you but no I don’t think I am overthinking this. I saw your post further down that Apple have reduced price to last year and yes that does ameliorate my view somewhat. Whilst many people probably do have extra lightning cables lying about, I also bet that many people have far, far fewer Apple Watch charging cables overall.

The thing about lightning cables is that up until recently they were used across a multitude of Apple devices, meaning it is highly likely someone will have more than one of those cables. The Apple Watch charging cable is used on one device only, and on a device that by and large is kept for more years than a phone, meaning a lower overall accumulation of Watch charging pucks. That’s really what I have an issue over.

I care less if they remove the cable and brick from the phone because, as you quite rightly say, I along with many others have a ton of those, the Watch puck though, not so much.

And yeah I’m probably overly salty and cynical in my old age!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I understand you but no I don’t think I am overthinking this. I saw your post further down that Apple have reduced price to last year and yes that does ameliorate my view somewhat. Whilst many people probably do have extra lightning cables lying about, I also bet that many people have far, far fewer Apple Watch charging cables overall.

The thing about lightning cables is that up until recently they were used across a multitude of Apple devices, meaning it is highly likely someone will have more than one of those cables. The Apple Watch charging cable is used on one device only, and on a device that by and large is kept for more years than a phone, meaning a lower overall accumulation of Watch charging pucks. That’s really what I have an issue over.

I care less if they remove the cable and brick from the phone because, as you quite rightly say, I along with many others have a ton of those, the Watch puck though, not so much.

And yeah I’m probably overly salty and cynical in my old age!

I’m pretty sure the cable will be in the box. My post was in reference to the adapter/charging brick.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I might go get a wireless Qi charger (if those are compatible). Otherwise, I already have one unused Apple Watch charger, so this doesn't bother me.

The adapter/charging brick won’t be included, but the actually charging cable should still be there.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Just quickly skimmed through the chargers on the website and didn't see the standard charger shown anymore. Just alot of the anker ones. Which I recommend buying off amazon (better prices).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73