No more USB power adapter with Apple Watch

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
WHEW!!!!!!!! This thread has seriously brought out the PRIVILEGE

It’s not privilege but logic and common sense.

You can’t use an Apple Watch without an iPhone, and the iPhone comes with a power brick.

There was definitely some judgement referenced in people stating it’s 2020, like there’s no such thing as people being without a plethora of tech in this era.

There was no judgment, just facts.

No one said anyone had to have a “plethora” of tech or “all” the tech listed. Quite the opposite, just one piece of tech from the list mentioned above.

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I’m still a bit confused how the elderly couple are hoping to use the health information to any degree from an Apple Watch without combining it with the various Health apps on an iPhone!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It’s not privilege but logic and common sense.

You can’t use an Apple Watch without an iPhone, and the iPhone comes with a power brick.

As has been mentioned several times now, yes, you can, with the new family setup. A family can set up multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone. You can set up an Apple Watch for an elderly relative who doesn't own an iPhone.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As has been mentioned several times now, yes, you can, with the new family setup. A family can set up multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone. You can set up an Apple Watch for an elderly relative who doesn't own an iPhone.

Watching the presentation of the apple watch 6 launch, I was under the impression that feature was per household, to be within range of the iPhone, but I have never used any of the family features apple offers.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Watching the presentation of the apple watch 6 launch, I was under the impression that feature was per household, to be within range of the iPhone, but I have never used any of the family features apple offers.

Family Setup actually invalidates the arguments for no brick.

Those people using an Watch through Family Setup will need their own charger brick, as one brick definitely won’t be enough for 2 people with 4 devices, let more people with more than 1 device.

But I’m still team ‘no brick’.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I use family setup for iCloud etc., which this extends, with my wife and two kids, and the kids live in different states from us. (They don't own watches so we won't add that part.)

You don't have to be in the same physical location, no. Family setup requires a cellular S4 or newer (though strangely a cellular plan is recommended though not required.)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I use family setup for iCloud etc., which this extends, with my wife and two kids, and the kids live in different states from us. (They don't own watches so we won't add that part.)

You don't have to be in the same physical location, no. Family setup requires a cellular S4 or newer (though strangely a cellular plan is recommended though not required.)

I wouldn’t know.

I also have no idea if iCloud family plans are the same as Apple Watch family set up. One is In the cloud and the other is used locally on the device, or I would assume.

What would happen if the iphone used to set up the apple watches needs to be replaced or was stolen. That could be a mess.

Currently if you get a new iPhone you would need to unpair the Apple Watch or transfer it over to the new iPhone, could you do that remotely or would you still need the iPhone to be in range of the Apple Watch.

Clearly not as black and white as some posters are trying to make it out to be.

Family Setup actually invalidates the arguments for no brick.

I don’t know how it works but I still don’t believe it does.

For example how would you update the Apple Watch without an iPhone?

Or add/remove/adjust a mobile data plan Or Apple Pay. Perhaps with iOS 15, but some things still require the Apple Watch app on the iPhone.

Those people using an Watch through Family Setup will need their own charger brick, as one brick definitely won’t be enough for 2 people with 4 devices, let more people with more than 1 device.’.

True, but 2 Individuals with 4 devices, 2 iPhones and 2 Apple watches would have 2 apple bricks. If one has an old Apple Watch, series 5,4,3, etc, that would make 3.

But I’m still team ‘no brick’.

We need some T-shirt’s,

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
On the Watch, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
You can check for / perform software updates without using your iPhone.

Thank you, didn’t know that was possible, honestly going to make updating the Apple Watch so much easier.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Or add/remove/adjust a mobile data plan Or Apple Pay.

All that is done through the iPhone that set up the family setup for the watch. For Apple Pay, family setup includes Apple Pay cash, so you can load the watch of family members with money to be used for Apple Pay. I have no idea if an elderly relative can add cards to an AW set up the way for them, but clearly that is not the intention of family setup - it is to get an AW to somebody who doesn't own, doesn't want to own, or cannot afford to pwn an iPhone of their own.

Apple Pay cash: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/15/apple-watch-family-setup-apple-cash-family/

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you that a VERY high percentage of buyers would request one. What I don't agree with is the "small fee." $5 is a small fee. Having to pay an extra $19 for a dinky 5W adapter is egregious.

I'm guessing Tarturus wouldn't disagree with that point. I can't recall if it was this thread but I thought Apple should make a charger available, on request, with the order. I thought that offering it free would cause most people to request one, so suggested a $5 fee to get one with your order (enough to discourage people who don't need it, but still cheap enough that it isn't a "burden"). Of course, they would keep selling the replacement bricks for $19 from Apple stores, the $5 would only be for those added to an order of an Apple Watch.

As it is, I still say the best bet is to order a "cheap" (but good quality) charger from some other retailer. For example, Amazon has good rated bricks for under $9.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
All that is done through the iPhone that set up the family setup for the watch. For Apple Pay, family setup includes Apple Pay cash, so you can load the watch of family members with money to be used for Apple Pay. I have no idea if an elderly relative can add cards to an AW set up the way for them, but clearly that is not the intention of family setup - it is to get an AW to somebody who doesn't own, doesn't want to own, or cannot afford to pwn an iPhone of their own.

Apple Pay cash: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/15/apple-watch-family-setup-apple-cash-family/

Thank you for the information on family plans and Apple Pay.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh