No more USB power adapter with Apple Watch

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the Apple Watch Dad, how do I charger it?...well you have to wait until they come in, they was all out...LOL

Since the dad doesn’t have any tech either or a smartphone, he would probably have to charge it at school.

Unless his school doesn’t have a computer in 2020.

But seriously you need to tell us more about your aunt and uncle with absolutely no tech in 2020. That’s pretty unbelievable.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Even many TVs these days come with a powered USB port. Just plug it in. They might even have an alarm clock that has a USB charging port. So many things these days come with a powered USB port.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Since the dad doesn’t have any tech either or a smartphone, he would probably have to charge it at school.

Unless his school doesn’t have a computer in 2020.

But seriously you need to tell us more about your aunt and uncle with absolutely no tech in 2020. That’s pretty unbelievable.

Regardless of all that, I stand by my opinion and I don't think it's right not to include a charging block. PERIOD

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Regardless of all that, I stand by my opinion and I don't think it's right not to include a charging block. PERIOD

I can understand your opinion, though personally I am happy Apple left the price at $399 for the "base" model -- I believe Apple would have increased the price had they left the charger in the box. I'd rather have to buy a charger separately, if needed, and pay less for the watch.

Granted, if I needed a charger (which I don't, I have a bunch of Apple 5W chargers) I'd likely not buy it from Apple, but would likely buy a cheaper (but still good quality) charger off of Amazon. Ideally, what I would have liked is for Apple to offer the option of having a charger added to the purchase of the Watch -- possibly even discounting the price of the charger (maybe $5). This way, we can still get the cheaper watch and, likely, only people who need the charger will get one, but they'll get it at a reasonable price.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I can understand your opinion, though personally I am happy Apple left the price at $399 for the "base" model -- I believe Apple would have increased the price had they left the charger in the box. I'd rather have to buy a charger separately, if needed, and pay less for the watch.

Granted, if I needed a charger (which I don't, I have a bunch of Apple 5W chargers) I'd likely not buy it from Apple, but would likely buy a cheaper (but still good quality) charger off of Amazon. Ideally, what I would have liked is for Apple to offer the option of having a charger added to the purchase of the Watch -- possibly even discounting the price of the charger (maybe $5). This way, we can still get the cheaper watch and, likely, only people who need the charger will get one, but they'll get it at a reasonable price.

OK. I respect your opinion, however I just feel it's an incomplete package/gift/product. Maybe I'm just spoiled and expect something to charge the product within the box.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. I'm from the old school where "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have". Not all households are Apple, not all households are technically caught up and not all households have working bricks laying around. So now you have people buying a charger at an extra expense for an already expensive product.

I still go back to the idea that Apple should not add the charger to the packaging but offer to add one free of charge to anyone who wants one at purchase time.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I still go back to the idea that Apple should not add the charger to the packaging but offer to add one free of charge to anyone who wants one at purchase time.

In an ideal society that would be great.
But humanity is greedy by default and they’ll just ask for a charger brick because it’s their right to get one.
Asking a small fee for a charger however helps with people trying to take advantage of that and in the long run help save the planet.

If you disagree with me about the greedy part, just take a look at the scenery on any given Black Friday from the past years. People literally trample each other to get cheap stuff.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
In an ideal society that would be great.
But humanity is greedy by default and they’ll just ask for a charger brick because it’s their right to get one.
Asking a small fee for a charger however helps with people trying to take advantage of that and in the long run help save the planet.

If you disagree with me about the greedy part, just take a look at the scenery on any given Black Friday from the past years. People literally trample each other to get cheap stuff.

I agree with you that a VERY high percentage of buyers would request one. What I don't agree with is the "small fee." $5 is a small fee. Having to pay an extra $19 for a dinky 5W adapter is egregious.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you that a VERY high percentage of buyers would request one. What I don't agree with is the "small fee." $5 is a small fee. Having to pay an extra $19 for a dinky 5W adapter is egregious.

True. I was in no way defending the current pricing for the charger bricks. With small fee I was referring to the price range you mention.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
WHEW!!!!!!!! This thread has seriously brought out the PRIVILEGE That was not my intention in starting it & for that I apologize to anyone perusing the forum & is offended or felt they couldn’t ask a question in this thread for fear of being judged because they don’t have all this tech. This is really sad y’all!!!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
WHEW!!!!!!!! This thread has seriously brought out the PRIVILEGE That was not my intention in starting it & for that I apologize to anyone perusing the forum & is offended or felt they couldn’t ask a question in this thread for fear of being judged because they don’t have all this tech. This is really sad y’all!!!

It's OK. Good thread with a lot of opinions.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It's OK. Good thread with a lot of opinions.

True but it seems off putting, if I was on the outside looking in. It’s real interesting reading through all this.

People don’t have as much as we think. We also forget that a lot of those cheap charging blocks don’t work properly with Apple items but it’s neither here nor there.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
True but it seems off putting, if I was on the outside looking in. It’s real interesting reading through all this.

People don’t have as much as we think. We also forget that a lot of those cheap charging blocks don’t work properly with Apple items but it’s neither here nor there.

I totally agree.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I gave my old S3 to my mother and kept the charger brick myself.
Why, do you ask? Well, for starters, they already have a few spare Apple charger bricks in a drawer, 2, they don’t like having chargers plugged in the outlet all the time. They take it out and put it back in the outlet with each charging process.

I simply put the Watch cable in the USB port of their TV and told my mom that she could use that cable to charge her watch.

That’s when less cable in view when you enter the living room

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I gave my old S3 to my mother and kept the charger brick myself.
Why, do you ask? Well, for starters, they already have a few spare Apple charger bricks in a drawer, 2, they don’t like having chargers plugged in the outlet all the time. They take it out and put it back in the outlet with each charging process.

I simply put the Watch cable in the USB port of their TV and told my mom that she could use that cable to charge her watch.

That’s when less cable in view when you enter the living room

In my opinion, it's like buying an appliance like a toaster, fan, TV, lamp ect and it doesn't come with a power cord to plug into an electrical socket...incomplete product. Just sayin.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have my charging bricks everywhere... home, work, mother inlaws, tech bags, glove compartments, etc., and I'm always looking for another. I have purchased extras from Amazon, but I still would want a new one when I buy a new device, because somehow, someway, it will be used.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
One of the reasons we have a few extra adapters is that, when we remodeled the house last year, we installed several of these:

outlet.jpg

They cost about the same as Apple's 5W charger.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I haven't seen judging at all. You asked a question, people answered. Electronic waste is a problem and Apple is trying something to address it - maybe a small something, but it is something.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen judging at all. You asked a question, people answered. Electronic waste is a problem and Apple is trying something to address it - maybe a small something, but it is something.

There was definitely some judgement referenced in people stating it’s 2020, like there’s no such thing as people being without a plethora of tech in this era. I agree there’s a lot of tech waste, shoot waste in general. One of the main reasons is people have zero responsibility for their actions & would rather throw something out than recycle or donate it. I don’t want to derail the thread, so I won’t mention it again....it just is what it is!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner