Can’t assume that everyone has as an iPhone! Depending on where you are, and if you prefer to use OEM versus aftermarket, not having that brick could be an inconvenience!
    It wouldn’t do much good having an Apple Watch without an iPhone. You need an iPhone to pair the Apple Watch with. Here’s what mine looks like paired with my iPhone.

09-26-2020 07:52 PM
    It wouldn’t do much good having an Apple Watch without an iPhone. You need an iPhone to pair the Apple Watch with.
    The new family setup now allows you to set up a watch for other people (e.g., children, older relatives) who don't own iPhones but still allow them to use the watch. So they, presumably, would not already own an iPhone (or any other previous phone.)

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/...e-family/#mn_p
    scruffypig likes this.
    09-27-2020 11:39 AM
    The new family setup now allows you to set up a watch for other people (e.g., children, older relatives) who don't own iPhones but still allow them to use the watch. So they, presumably, would not already own an iPhone (or any other previous phone.)

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/...e-family/#mn_p
    I said it earlier but the average household has at least a few if charger bricks lying around or in a drawer.
    With this knowledge it’s only natural to not include charger bricks anymore.
    09-27-2020 12:07 PM
    I said it earlier but the average household has at least a few if charger bricks lying around or in a drawer.
    With this knowledge it’s only natural to not include charger bricks anymore.
    I disagree. I'm from the old school where "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have". Not all households are Apple, not all households are technically caught up and not all households have working bricks laying around. So now you have people buying a charger at an extra expense for an already expensive product.
    ladyc0524, Laura Knotek and ReVu30 like this.
    09-27-2020 12:28 PM
    I disagree. I'm from the old school where "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have". Not all households are Apple, not all households are technically caught up and not all households have working bricks laying around. So now you have people buying a charger at an extra expense for an already expensive product.
    Your point is quite valid, but an Apple Watch is useless without an iPhone to pair it with, so a household should have at least one working brick.

Might not be popular to say out loud, but almost every electronic device seems to have a USB port these days; desktops, laptops, iPads/tablets, game Consoles, televisions, Blu-ray/dvd players, streaming devices, alarm clocks, wireless chargers, battery bricks, usb hubs, wall outlets, even toasters, coffee machines and lamps.

Having said that, if they have no other electronic devices and they refuse to use the power brick that came with their iPhone, then yes they would need an additional charger. And Honestly that’s a bit of a stretch in 2020.

Sometimes when I’m traveling light I just plug my Apple Watch cable into my iPad to charge the Apple Watch or iPhone, that works quite well.
    09-27-2020 01:12 PM
    Your point is quite valid, but an Apple Watch is useless without an iPhone to pair it with, so a household should have at least one working brick.

Might not be popular to say out loud, but almost every electronic device seems to have a USB port these days; desktops, laptops, iPads/tablets, game Consoles, televisions, Blu-ray/dvd players, streaming devices, alarm clocks, wireless chargers, battery bricks, usb hubs, wall outlets, even toasters, coffee machines and lamps.

Having said that, if they have no other electronic devices and they refuse to use the power brick that came with their iPhone, then yes they would need an additional charger. And Honestly that’s a bit of a stretch in 2020.

Sometimes when I’m traveling light I just plug my Apple Watch cable into my iPad to charge the Apple Watch or iPhone, that works quite well.
    Example. My elderly Aunt and Uncle are thinking about getting Apple devices soon especially the Apple Watch to monitor their health (yes I have a lot of work ahead of me if they do) and they currently have no Apple equipment or no tech but they intrigued by all the hype about Apple Watch. It will be their first Smart devices. Also don't forget their are still a lot of people around the world that are just getting started with technology.
    Annie_M likes this.
    09-27-2020 01:26 PM
    Example. My elderly Aunt and Uncle are thinking about getting Apple devices soon especially the Apple Watch to monitor their health (yes I have a lot of work ahead of me if they do) and they currently have no Apple equipment or no tech but they intrigued by all the hype about Apple Watch. It will be their first Smart devices. Also don't forget their are still a lot of people around the world that are just getting started with technology.
    I applaud your aunt and uncle with their brave decision.
    There are of course exceptions to the rule and those people will have to get a spare charger if they choose to do so. But we’re all forgetting that the Watch series 6 is cheaper on launch than both the 4 and 5 series.
    I’m genuinely convinced that Apple reduced the price because of the missing charger.
    09-27-2020 02:12 PM
    I wonder if Apple will sell many 5W adapters for $19 since you can buy them on Amazon for much less.
    09-27-2020 02:59 PM
    Example. My elderly Aunt and Uncle are thinking about getting Apple devices soon especially the Apple Watch to monitor their health (yes I have a lot of work ahead of me if they do) and they currently have no Apple equipment or no tech but they intrigued by all the hype about Apple Watch. It will be their first Smart devices.
    Wow, they have absolutely no tech, that’s wild.
    Have they ever been on the internet? Because that’s going to blow their minds.

An Apple Watch will be pretty useless without an iPhone to pair it with, maybe they should get one of those first and could use that power brick. Soo...

Also don't forget their are still a lot of people around the world that are just getting started with technology.
    No, I honestly don’t think there are, not in 2020.

I just want to be sure you are not talking about kids, the Amish or that tribe in the Amazon that choose to shun modern technology .
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-27-2020 03:09 PM
    Wow, they have absolutely no tech, that’s wild.
    Have they ever been on the internet? Because that’s going to blow their minds.

An Apple Watch will be pretty useless without an iPhone to pair it with, maybe they should get one of those first and could use that power brick. Soo...

No, I honestly don’t think there are, not in 2020.

I just want to be sure you are not talking about kids, the Amish or that tribe in the Amazon that choose to shun modern technology .
    Thanks for the Apple Watch Dad, how do I charger it?...well you have to wait until they come in, they was all out...LOL
    FFR likes this.
    09-27-2020 03:12 PM
    Thanks for the Apple Watch Dad, how do I charger it?...well you have to wait until they come in, they was all out...LOL
    Since the dad doesn’t have any tech either or a smartphone, he would probably have to charge it at school.

Unless his school doesn’t have a computer in 2020.

But seriously you need to tell us more about your aunt and uncle with absolutely no tech in 2020. That’s pretty unbelievable.
    09-27-2020 03:19 PM
    Even many TVs these days come with a powered USB port. Just plug it in. They might even have an alarm clock that has a USB charging port. So many things these days come with a powered USB port.
    09-27-2020 05:44 PM
    Since the dad doesn’t have any tech either or a smartphone, he would probably have to charge it at school.

Unless his school doesn’t have a computer in 2020.

But seriously you need to tell us more about your aunt and uncle with absolutely no tech in 2020. That’s pretty unbelievable.
    Regardless of all that, I stand by my opinion and I don't think it's right not to include a charging block. PERIOD
    staceymj86 and ReVu30 like this.
    09-27-2020 07:24 PM
    Regardless of all that, I stand by my opinion and I don't think it's right not to include a charging block. PERIOD
    I can understand your opinion, though personally I am happy Apple left the price at $399 for the "base" model -- I believe Apple would have increased the price had they left the charger in the box. I'd rather have to buy a charger separately, if needed, and pay less for the watch.

Granted, if I needed a charger (which I don't, I have a bunch of Apple 5W chargers) I'd likely not buy it from Apple, but would likely buy a cheaper (but still good quality) charger off of Amazon. Ideally, what I would have liked is for Apple to offer the option of having a charger added to the purchase of the Watch -- possibly even discounting the price of the charger (maybe $5). This way, we can still get the cheaper watch and, likely, only people who need the charger will get one, but they'll get it at a reasonable price.
    09-27-2020 08:36 PM
    I can understand your opinion, though personally I am happy Apple left the price at $399 for the "base" model -- I believe Apple would have increased the price had they left the charger in the box. I'd rather have to buy a charger separately, if needed, and pay less for the watch.

Granted, if I needed a charger (which I don't, I have a bunch of Apple 5W chargers) I'd likely not buy it from Apple, but would likely buy a cheaper (but still good quality) charger off of Amazon. Ideally, what I would have liked is for Apple to offer the option of having a charger added to the purchase of the Watch -- possibly even discounting the price of the charger (maybe $5). This way, we can still get the cheaper watch and, likely, only people who need the charger will get one, but they'll get it at a reasonable price.
    OK. I respect your opinion, however I just feel it's an incomplete package/gift/product. Maybe I'm just spoiled and expect something to charge the product within the box.
    Laura Knotek and mogelijk like this.
    09-27-2020 08:44 PM
    That’s fair.
    09-28-2020 02:09 AM
    I still go back to the idea that Apple should not add the charger to the packaging but offer to add one free of charge to anyone who wants one at purchase time.
    09-28-2020 10:15 AM
    I still go back to the idea that Apple should not add the charger to the packaging but offer to add one free of charge to anyone who wants one at purchase time.
    In an ideal society that would be great.
    But humanity is greedy by default and they’ll just ask for a charger brick because it’s their right to get one.
    Asking a small fee for a charger however helps with people trying to take advantage of that and in the long run help save the planet.

If you disagree with me about the greedy part, just take a look at the scenery on any given Black Friday from the past years. People literally trample each other to get cheap stuff.
    09-28-2020 10:58 AM
    In an ideal society that would be great.
    But humanity is greedy by default and they’ll just ask for a charger brick because it’s their right to get one.
    Asking a small fee for a charger however helps with people trying to take advantage of that and in the long run help save the planet.

If you disagree with me about the greedy part, just take a look at the scenery on any given Black Friday from the past years. People literally trample each other to get cheap stuff.
    I agree with you that a VERY high percentage of buyers would request one. What I don't agree with is the "small fee." $5 is a small fee. Having to pay an extra $19 for a dinky 5W adapter is egregious.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-28-2020 04:44 PM
    I agree with you that a VERY high percentage of buyers would request one. What I don't agree with is the "small fee." $5 is a small fee. Having to pay an extra $19 for a dinky 5W adapter is egregious.
    True. I was in no way defending the current pricing for the charger bricks. With small fee I was referring to the price range you mention.
    09-28-2020 04:46 PM
    WHEW!!!!!!!! This thread has seriously brought out the PRIVILEGE That was not my intention in starting it & for that I apologize to anyone perusing the forum & is offended or felt they couldn’t ask a question in this thread for fear of being judged because they don’t have all this tech. This is really sad y’all!!!
    Spencerdl and Tartarus like this.
    09-28-2020 11:04 PM
    WHEW!!!!!!!! This thread has seriously brought out the PRIVILEGE That was not my intention in starting it & for that I apologize to anyone perusing the forum & is offended or felt they couldn’t ask a question in this thread for fear of being judged because they don’t have all this tech. This is really sad y’all!!!
    It's OK. Good thread with a lot of opinions.
    09-28-2020 11:06 PM
    It's OK. Good thread with a lot of opinions.
    True but it seems off putting, if I was on the outside looking in. It’s real interesting reading through all this.

People don’t have as much as we think. We also forget that a lot of those cheap charging blocks don’t work properly with Apple items but it’s neither here nor there.
    Spencerdl, ladyc0524 and ReVu30 like this.
    09-28-2020 11:17 PM
    True but it seems off putting, if I was on the outside looking in. It’s real interesting reading through all this.

People don’t have as much as we think. We also forget that a lot of those cheap charging blocks don’t work properly with Apple items but it’s neither here nor there.
    I totally agree.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    09-28-2020 11:19 PM
    I gave my old S3 to my mother and kept the charger brick myself.
    Why, do you ask? Well, for starters, they already have a few spare Apple charger bricks in a drawer, 2, they don’t like having chargers plugged in the outlet all the time. They take it out and put it back in the outlet with each charging process.

I simply put the Watch cable in the USB port of their TV and told my mom that she could use that cable to charge her watch.

That’s when less cable in view when you enter the living room
    09-29-2020 11:11 AM
94 1234