Battery life Series 5

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
How did you set up your series 5 if you had a previous model? I had the series 4 and when I set up my new 5 I did as mirroring my 4 and not as a new device

Battery life was great first couple days. This is my 2nd week on it. 8:17 pm at 27%.

I removed a lot of notifications that I don’t need to have on my watch. The first few days would be at 65% or so at 9 pm. Not happening now

Should I reset and set as new device? Other than this I love the watch

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you recently installed an app on your iPhone that also has a watch app or complication that could be using a significant amount of battery?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Have you recently installed an app on your iPhone that also has a watch app or complication that could be using a significant amount of battery?

No

Battery is better today
I actually turned off a lot of notifications
Verizon won’t do anything
Tech says nothing wrong
When Apple stores reopen I will have it looked over

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
But it was better today.

One thing I did was turn off background refresh. Even though you do this, complications will update. I wear my watch all day and sleep with it to track my sleep( I have sleep apnea) and when I wake my watch is between 45-55%. I also did what you did and turned off all notifications except texts and phone call etc.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
One thing I did was turn off background refresh. Even though you do this, complications will update. I wear my watch all day and sleep with it to track my sleep( I have sleep apnea) and when I wake my watch is between 45-55%. I also did what you did and turned off all notifications except texts and phone call etc.

I did that first thing before turning off notifications

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I know this was a while ago, but I am noticing the same issue with my series 5 watch. I used it as normal, did a 30 min run and at 9pm it was dead. I have noticed this has been going on the past 2 weeks or so. I am going to reset it and start with a fresh setup. Like right now, it is 1:37pm and it is at 72%. My iphone 11 pro isn't even at that yet and I took both off the charger at 7am. So something isn't right.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I know this was a while ago, but I am noticing the same issue with my series 5 watch. I used it as normal, did a 30 min run and at 9pm it was dead. I have noticed this has been going on the past 2 weeks or so. I am going to reset it and start with a fresh setup. Like right now, it is 1:37pm and it is at 72%. My iphone 11 pro isn't even at that yet and I took both off the charger at 7am. So something isn't right.

I hope the reset helps. Mine today has been on all day and I got the update completed this morning. It’s at 65% and it’s going on 7:45 pm. I am seeing improvement

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I hope the reset helps. Mine today has been on all day and I got the update completed this morning. It’s at 65% and it’s going on 7:45 pm. I am seeing improvement

Reset didn't help I even installed only the apps I need on the watch this time. Shut off background app refresh too. So I took my watch off the charger at 7:15am this morning along with my iPhone 11 pro. I haven't really used both of them this morning and it's now 10:21am. My phone is at 89% and my watch is at 87%. Maybe I am crazy but I feel a 13% drain on my watch is a lot for not even using it for anything yet today.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Guess I may have to. Its only 5 months old.

Do you think I am being unreasonable with that battery drop?

Not really, but it depends on what you did in that two hours. Apple promises 18 hour battery life for normal use. If you did a workout during that time, especially one that used location when you weren't carrying your phone (outdoor walk, run, bike, or hike); if you listened to media from the watch - that sounds like reasonable battery drain.

Which apps do you have installed BTW?

Also, just to see if this helps, you can try turning off as many of these that you don't need: hand washing notifications and timer, environmental sound measurements in the noise section, and turnoff walkie-talks notifications.

Also, you could check (on the watch itself) Settings / Battery / Battery Health to see what the maximum capacity is. Maybe your watch has lost a lot of battery health over time?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Not really, but it depends on what you did in that two hours. Apple promises 18 hour battery life for normal use. If you did a workout during that time, especially one that used location when you weren't carrying your phone (outdoor walk, run, bike, or hike); if you listened to media from the watch - that sounds like reasonable battery drain.

Which apps do you have installed BTW?

Also, just to see if this helps, you can try turning off as many of these that you don't need: hand washing notifications and timer, environmental sound measurements in the noise section, and turnoff walkie-talks notifications.

Also, you could check (on the watch itself) Settings / Battery / Battery Health to see what the maximum capacity is. Maybe your watch has lost a lot of battery health over time?

Thanks for the reply!

Here is a screenshot of what I have installed...very minimal and I've always had these installed on my watch. Ever since two weeks ago I've had battery issues. My battery health is 98%

I shouldn't have to shut off all of those features but I guess I could try? Seems silly to do that. I do an indoor run exercise 3-4 times a week but I'm having the same issues on day I don't even exercise

I'm chatting with Apple now, but I am sure it won't result in anything

82c1d13bd4d6e13cd252f33a16933c66.jpg

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
You aren’t being unreasonable. This isn’t a cheap product. That’s what they are there for.

Yeah so if Apple says 18 hours, I take my watch off my charger at 7am it should last me until 1am with normal usage and it doesn't. So there is my answer...something has to be wrong

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2