Apple Watch Series 5 or Garmin Forerunner 245M for fitness

p51

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Looking to get into a bit better shape. I want to track runs (1-3 miles), steps, and activities like tennis. How well does the Series 5 do these things? Are there guided workouts on the Apple Watch?
Love the display & interface of the Apple Watch. The only reason that I'm considering the Forerunner is the week-long battery life vs the 1-2 day battery life of the Apple Watch.
Anyone here have personal experience with both?

Thank you

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For the true athlete, I'd give the nod to the Garmin for fitness use, but for the typical person, I'd go with the Watch.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Not a true athlete...yet. Working to become one.

Nonetheless, the Forerunner 245 is still a heckuva fitness watch and one you really should consider. I mean, unless you're concerned about receiving iMessages, streaming Music or you simply prefer the look of the Watch, the Forerunner is on par with it, in my opinion.

soulenigma

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I went from watch to fossil, to Garmin. Have to say for fitness and battery life Garmin has it has down. I can get 3 - 4 days which includes using it to track sleep. Until Apple can match that I’m sticking with Garmin.

p51

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Nonetheless, the Forerunner 245 is still a heckuva fitness watch and one you really should consider. I mean, unless you're concerned about receiving iMessages, streaming Music or you simply prefer the look of the Watch, the Forerunner is on par with it, in my opinion.

Yeah, I think I'll be going with the Forerunner 245. I like that the AW5 with LTE means that I can leave my phone behind on workouts & still contact someone if something goes wrong. I just can't get over the battery life issue. I haven't taken a phone charger anywhere or had to have multiple chargers in multiple places in YEARS -- I definitely don't want to have to start that again.

p51

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I went from watch to fossil, to Garmin. Have to say for fitness and battery life Garmin has it has down. I can get 3 - 4 days which includes using it to track sleep. Until Apple can match that I’m sticking with Garmin.
Thanks for your input!
That is the #1 deciding factor for me. I haven't had battery anxiety in years, Buying something that would give me that feeling in 2020 would feel like a HUGE step backward.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think I'll be going with the Forerunner 245. I like that the AW5 with LTE means that I can leave my phone behind on workouts & still contact someone if something goes wrong. I just can't get over the battery life issue. I haven't taken a phone charger anywhere or had to have multiple chargers in multiple places in YEARS -- I definitely don't want to have to start that again.

Yeah, there’s no comparison in regard to better life so you’ve definitely made the right choice for yourself. When you get it, update us on how well it’s working for you. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your weekend.

p51

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, there’s no comparison in regard to better life so you’ve definitely made the right choice for yourself. When you get it, update us on how well it’s working for you. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I will most definitely post my experiences. Appreciate the convo. You do the same!