About 2 weeks ago my AWS4 ECG app stopped working. The app initializes, but then does not respond properly to the touch on the digital crown. Instead it pauses, draws a few wild graph lines, and then resets back to 30 SEC.

Apple Support says it is a hardware issue which they could repair for $299, since the AWS4 is now out of warranty (1.5 years.)

I'm thinking of getting a new AWS5 (good sales on now), but wonder if there might be any other options?

I might mention that this is the first Apple product that my household has owned that has had an apparent failure, so I am feeling money well ahead overall, never having purchased Apple Care....
    06-11-2020 11:59 PM
    My wild guess is that Apple is right. I don't think that there are any reliable third party repair options.

You should see if they will let you trade in the S4 for credit.
    06-12-2020 09:51 AM
    Thanks so much for your thought. The Apple web site rejects the serial number, so they have already stopped its return for credit on a new watch.

However, my thought is now that this could be my nighttime (sleep monitoring) watch, and a new AWS5 could be my daytime watch.
    Just_Me_D, pr1nce and doogald like this.
    06-12-2020 10:35 AM
    Thanks so much for your thought. The Apple web site rejects the serial number, so they have already stopped its return for credit on a new watch.

However, my thought is now that this could be my nighttime (sleep monitoring) watch, and a new AWS5 could be my daytime watch.
    That’s what I would do if I were you! I have a stainless steel series 4 that still works perfectly, but I bought a Nike edition series 5 a month or so ago. I got it because it was on sale at Best Buy.
    06-13-2020 01:28 PM
    Any chance you tried to unpair and repair the Watch? I would try that.
    06-14-2020 06:41 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the unpair and repair process, but the ecg app did not improve. But I'm glad that I tried this possible approach.

The new AWS5 will be here today, so I'm looking forward to having two Apple Watches to use.....
    Annie_M likes this.
    06-15-2020 01:12 PM
    Keep us posted on how you like the series 5!
    06-15-2020 08:03 PM
    The always-on display is nice - a worthwhile addition - as is the compass app, making the Series 5 about as perfect a watch/accessory that I can imagine. I could not be more satisfied!
    Annie_M and pr1nce like this.
    06-16-2020 12:56 PM
    I am so glad that you were pleased with your series 5 and I’m glad that it worked out to your satisfaction.
    06-16-2020 01:55 PM
    The always-on display is nice - a worthwhile addition - as is the compass app, making the Series 5 about as perfect a watch/accessory that I can imagine. I could not be more satisfied!
    Congrats on your new AW Series 5. I’m glad you’re enjoying it.
    06-16-2020 10:53 PM
    That's an excellent idea!
    06-17-2020 05:05 PM