Any cyclists out there using Apple Watch??

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I’ve got a strange problem that and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing it. I started road cycling earlier this year and have found that my watch battery drains like crazy during my rides. I do not start any workout on the watch for my rides. I use a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt head unit for my routes. I can’t figure out what’s causing the battery drain on the watch since nothing is started on there. Any thoughts are welcome. It drives me bonkers that I’ll lost 50+% on two hour ride.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’ve got a strange problem that and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing it. I started road cycling earlier this year and have found that my watch battery drains like crazy during my rides. I do not start any workout on the watch for my rides. I use a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt head unit for my routes. I can’t figure out what’s causing the battery drain on the watch since nothing is started on there. Any thoughts are welcome. It drives me bonkers that I’ll lost 50+% on two hour ride.

Disable ‘Start Workout Reminder’ in Settings > Workout.
That should help a little in my opinion.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I turned it off. Not sure if that’ll make a diff. I don’t get workout reminders when I’m biking.

Me either. I couldn’t imagine anything else. Maybe it’s ‘Raise to Wake’ that gets triggered all the time. I go on my mtb to my work in 8 to ten minutes, so I don’t see much of a battery drain. Hopefully you’ll be able to figure it out.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Me either. I couldn’t imagine anything else. Maybe it’s ‘Raise to Wake’ that gets triggered all the time. I go on my mtb to my work in 8 to ten minutes, so I don’t see much of a battery drain. Hopefully you’ll be able to figure it out.

Thx. Yea it’s not like I start strava from there or anything. I do get the occasional text but that should all be interaction between my phone and headunit.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

The ELEMNT Bolt looks cool. I wonder if the unexpected drain is due to the Bolt app, if installed on your watch? Looks like the companion apps (phone and watch) would be busy throughout the ride communicating with the Bolt.

Might be an option to contact ELEMNT to see if they have any ideas or recommendations.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I use FITIV and its awesome and I stream to my phone with a holder and it’s my favorite setup. I lose about 15% battery per hour on the watch and quite a bit more on the phone

Johndosh

Aug 7, 2019
Visit site
I do cycle a lot to work and back might have to check the app out on my watch 4 for when I cycle as never use it when I ride my bike.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Update. I did a 67 mile ride yesterday and purposely put my AW in airplane mode during the ride so it couldn’t communicate with my phone or anything else. 30 miles in, I went from 100% down to 55%. By the end of the ride, it was at 15%. Really insane. I am a pretty good troubleshooter, but I’m stumped.

My thoughts are that maybe airplane mode doesn’t work? I’m pretty sure I got a notification while in airplane mode, but I was riding hard so can’t be for sure.

I seriously don’t know where else to look to resolve this issue.