Apple Watch S5 - Upgrade or Not (Yes for me)

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I just went back and watched some YouTube videos on the Watch Series 5 and there is nothing that makes me want to update. I don’t care about always on display. My S4 is still leaps and bounds ahead of any Wear OS or Tizen or any other “Smartwatch” any other company is releasing.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am 7 months out on both my AW4 and Max devices and not upgrading. I love my series 4 and don’t mind the fact the screen isn’t always on....my watch works perfect. I am not upgrading on the phone as well. I do like the new midnight green color and the pro but it isn’t enough for me to jump. I am disappointed that all they really did was improve on the cameras. I want to see other features and benefits like having the pencil work with the phone....that would get me to upgrade !

unashamedgeek

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm upgrading from a Series 2. I'm going with aluminum as that was my S2 and I like the lightweight and for me, the cost of the upgraded materials isn't worth it. I agree it is nice, but since I don't want cellular option, the price jump from Aluminum GPS only to a higher cost material is too high for me.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I’m going stainless this time around. It’s a toss up between Space Black and Gold. I’m afraid that I may like stainless too much and there won’t be any turning back!

That’s what happened to me LOL. I upgraded to stainless space black back with my S0 cause I found a good deal on eBay and I will not go back to aluminum.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely buying a S5. I'm tending more toward SS or Titanium, as the crystal on my aluminum S2 has been scratched up almost since I owned it - I want the sapphire crystal for durability, not as an investment.

I'll keep my S2 as a while I am sleeping watch, to continue to use AutoSleep, now starting the day with a fully-charged S5.

I don't understand people who say that AOD isn't that important. I swear daily when I look at my watch and see nothing but a black screen, particularly when I am out on a run. Sometimes even the exaggerated wrist raise don't light my watch (or its is delayed) - I have to tap it all of the time, and there have been times that I have tapped just as the watch lights up from the wrist raise, and the watch mistakes the tap for an activation of whichever complication was hit. Always on display for the win for me. I would have still bought an S5 without it, but I'm really happy that the feature is there.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand people who say that AOD isn't that important. I swear daily when I look at my watch and see nothing but a black screen, particularly when I am out on a run. Sometimes even the exaggerated wrist raise don't light my watch (or its is delayed) - I have to tap it all of the time, and there have been times that I have tapped just as the watch lights up from the wrist raise, and the watch mistakes the tap for an activation of whichever complication was hit. Always on display for the win for me. I would have still bought an S5 without it, but I'm really happy that the feature is there.

It always irritates me when I'm running and have to do an exaggerated wrist raise multiple times to get the watch to display. And the other problem with tapping it during a run is that it thinks you're marking a segment.

I'm having a hard time justifying an upgrade from my AW4, but definitely agree that AOD is a game changer. It has always been #1 on my wish list.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I like the display being off, so AOD isn’t at all important to me! The way people use their watch & enjoy it, isn’t really for anyone else to understand. My watch lights up at least 95% of the time when I twist or raise my wrist. The 5% of the time that it doesn’t work, doesn’t bother me at all. Whenever I do feel the need to upgrade from my S4, I’ll probably end up turning off AOD. It’s just a personal preference.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I agree! Whenever I'm up I just need a slight tilt on my wrist to get the screen light up on my Series 4. AOD is not a deal breaker for me at least. I've a Samsung Note10+ and I also disabled AOD.

I'm more looking forward to next year's Series 6. Since we know AOD is going to be a permanent feature but now on the Series 5, it's in the infancy stage. Series 6 should improve it.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I skipped the phone and decided to upgrade from the series 3 to series 5. I didn’t know I needed the always on feature until now. That’s Apple for you!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No for me. I'm happy with my AW4, the always on isn't that important for me to upgrade and I like my Space Black Stainless Steel better than the new Titanium. I'm good.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
AOD doesn’t mean much to me. You have to turn your wrist to look at your watch anyway and that’s all it takes for mine to come on! I’m quite happy with my series 4.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I sprung for the Nike Plus AW5, an upgrade from my Nike Plus AW4. Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Yea. I’m a sucker. Still waiting for it to ship.

Question for those who already have the 5 ..... do you have the option to not use the AOD? I’d rather have better battery life than an always on display, especially while I’m running or cycling.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I sprung for the Nike Plus AW5, an upgrade from my Nike Plus AW4. Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Yea. I’m a sucker. Still waiting for it to ship.

Question for those who already have the 5 ..... do you have the option to not use the AOD? I’d rather have better battery life than an always on display, especially while I’m running or cycling.

Yep, you can turn it off if you’d like.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
No for me. I'm happy with my AW4, the always on isn't that important for me to upgrade and I like my Space Black Stainless Steel better than the new Titanium. I'm good.

The S5 still comes in space black stainless steel. The Titanium cases are just additional Edition models this year.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
AOD doesn’t mean much to me. You have to turn your wrist to look at your watch anyway and that’s all it takes for mine to come on! I’m quite happy with my series 4.

I have been wearing watches for decades and, with the exception of a brief period when I had an LED watch that required a button press to see the time, I most definitely did not have to try my wrist to see the time. Just a glance at the watch showed the time.

I understand not upgrading from an S4 just for AOD, but AOD is a game-changer for me. I can't tell you how many times turning my wrist doesn't work (at least 25% of the time - it requires an exaggerated wrist turn, not always easy, say, when my hands are full.)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The S5 still comes in space black stainless steel. The Titanium cases are just additional Edition models this year.

Yes, I'm aware and I was saying that the Titanium model and always on display isn't enough to entice me into getting the AW5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73