More than you ever wanted to know about the California Watch Face

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Here's an article about the 50 shades of the California Watch Face.

Some of the shades:

California-Combinations.jpg

Note the VI for 4 in position 2, rows 1, 3, 5, and 7. Whether this is deliberate or accidental, a feature or a but, it will be fixed in the next beta or the GM.

Further, note the use of IIII instead of IV in position 2, rows 2, 4, 6, and 8. Some people would have you believe this is a mistake and IV is correct. That is incorrect.

In horology, it was a common practice for centuries to use IIII at the 4 position to give an aesthetic balance to the dial's VIII in the 8 position. This was true of both watches and clocks. Not all clock and watch makers subscribed to that aesthetic.

The California Watch face is growing on me. I'm happy we have something in the way of rectangular watch faces.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I am not using the Beta, but from everything I've seen so far, I think the California face is one that I will be trying out!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing

This, by far, is my favorite watch face I’m not on the beta, but I can’t wait to have this. It’s about time Apple gave us one that matches the shape of the Apple Watch. There definitely needs to be more options. I, absolutely, hate the circular faces, but I hate looking at digital time on my wrist even more....so I deal

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That sucks!! I wonder why they didn’t make it available for series 3. That’s so weird

Because they make more money having people buy new watches for new things. It’s incredibly annoying. I’m actually surprised the Series 3 even got the Numbers faces. Usually all new watch faces requires the newest model.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Because they make more money having people buy new watches for new things. It’s incredibly annoying. I’m actually surprised the Series 3 even got the Numbers faces. Usually all new watch faces requires the newest model.

I guess that makes sense, but it’s annoying to those with the series 3. It’s not even old!!

Series 4 is my first watch, so I don’t know the patterns yet. Guess I’ll learn what it’s like with watchOS 7 because I don’t plan on upgrading for a few years.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That sucks!! I wonder why they didn’t make it available for series 3. That’s so weird

The display hardware just can't display the face, particularly the full face versions, plus they are using the new style complications. That doesn't mean that they couldn't develop a version that could run on the old devices, but I'm not sure the value of a round version of the California face with corner complications when you already have the Utility face. They could just re-do Utility (or Simple) to allow different number styles.

But it's possible that watchOS 6 will have a version of those faces later. Maybe they just aren't ready yet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR