Battery Decline

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Over the past week, I've seen a noticeable decline in battery life. On any given day, I have been ending things with 24-28% battery life still in the tank.

But this week I'm doing good to end the day with 5-10% battery life. I haven't changed anything on the watch and even reduced some of the apps that may be draining the battery.

Notifications are down to Ring doorbell and Weather Channel pollen counts and severe weather warnings. I removed the Nest app and do not get email alerts. I do use the watch to track exercises (about 40 minutes a day).

Any ideas? I did install an update weeks ago but I doubt that is the culprit.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Over the past week, I've seen a noticeable decline in battery life. On any given day, I have been ending things with 24-28% battery life still in the tank.

But this week I'm doing good to end the day with 5-10% battery life. I haven't changed anything on the watch and even reduced some of the apps that may be draining the battery.

Notifications are down to Ring doorbell and Weather Channel pollen counts and severe weather warnings. I removed the Nest app and do not get email alerts. I do use the watch to track exercises (about 40 minutes a day).

Any ideas? I did install an update weeks ago but I doubt that is the culprit.

I had this happening too and shutting off my watch only to restart it a few seconds later solved the issue for me.
Try it out.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I had this happening too and shutting off my watch only to restart it a few seconds later solved the issue for me.
Try it out.

I thinking restarting your Watch would be a good idea. One of the staff members at our local Apple Store said that she thinks doing this once a week or so is a good idea. I don't do it all the time, but if I notice anything odd with my Watch, I do a restart and that helps.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ditto on restarting your watch. I'm getting 24+ hours on my S3 LTE so the S4 should be outperforming that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Don't discount that making sure that the watch stays close to your iPhone will also help. If you spend a lot of time away from the phone, it uses more power to hold a BT connection, and when you run out of BT range to the phone, it uses the more power-hungry WiFi or cellular connections.

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Reset the watch and will see if that does the trick.
I'm burning through about 10% an hour when the battery consumption was half that.

The only thing that changed this week was that I started using the Nest app on the watch.
I've uninstalled it for the time being to see if battery life improves.

As far as being far away from the iPhone, I can't say that the time away has increased this week.
Generally, the phone is within a few feet of the watch for most of the day.

Hopefully, this is a short-lived issue. Thanks for the suggestions and tips.

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Quick update.
Did the soft reset and still trimmed down notifications and the number of apps refreshing in the background.
Battery performance is back where it was a few weeks ago. Ending the day with about 30% of the battery life remaining.
Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm really surprised you're only at 30% at the end of the day. Unless you have a lot of GPS (e.g., you're a runner) or cell use, it should be much better than that. I'm nearly always at 50% or so at the end of the day, and that's with at least 40 minutes of GPS/heart monitor (from a run).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox