Battery at 100% then dies

ozdezignr

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
AW2 shows battery at 100% and then usually around 4-5 hours later it's off, black screen. It won't respond until it gets back on charge, and shows 100% as soon as it's on. All since latest update to 5.2. Tried all the recommendations , restart watch and phone, unpair, unpair and pair with another phone then unpair and repair to mine, nothing works and many others with the same issue....thoughts?
Currently trying to run it empty, a bit difficult when it continues to indicate 100%

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
AW2 shows battery at 100% and then usually around 4-5 hours later it's off, black screen. It won't respond until it gets back on charge, and shows 100% as soon as it's on. All since latest update to 5.2. Tried all the recommendations , restart watch and phone, unpair, unpair and pair with another phone then unpair and repair to mine, nothing works and many others with the same issue....thoughts?
Currently trying to run it empty, a bit difficult when it continues to indicate 100%

Sync a music album to your Watch, connect a Bluetooth speaker / earphones to it and have the album play on repeat until the battery runs out.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Tried all the recommendations , restart watch and phone, unpair, unpair and pair with another phone then unpair and repair to mine, nothing works and many others with the same issue....thoughts?

One more recommendation: call AppleCare or make a Genius Bar appointment. They should be able to determine if there is a hardware issue.

ozdezignr

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, the recommendations were from Apple, other people actually had replacement watches given to them, only for the issue to reappear, maybe it's something to do with the phone as well.... draining battery now to see how that goes even though for others some work, some don't...

ozdezignr

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
Tried draining the battery, no change. Permanently reads as 100% and lasts around 6 hours, put it back on charge for seconds, comes back on at 100% and lasts up to another 5 hours.....then charge overnight for the next day...repeat....

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest again going to an Apple Store and have the Genius Bar do diagnostics.

If you still want to try something before doing that, and are ok with re-building the watch from scratch, I know that you said that you have tried unpairing and pairing again, but if you have kept restoring a backup, then I would suggest trying remove the pairing from the Watch app and pair again, but don't restore your current backup. Perhaps there is some sort of data corruption that is affecting the battery level reporting. But, if you've already done that, the only other thing I can think of is that you have a bad app installed, so maybe build from scratch but don't install any third party apps - use only stock apps and see what happens.

But, honestly, I think that you have bad hardware. Apple should take it in for repair and either repair it (unlikely) or send you a warranty replacement. I believe that the Genus Bar has diagnostic tools that they can use to look for hardware defects that aren't available when you call in. to AppleCare.

ozdezignr

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
so 4 days off over Easter, left the watch sitting on it's charger, turned charger on and off randomly over the 4 days, no set sequence or charge / no charge times... and it has sorted itself... go figure...so far so good....

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
so 4 days off over Easter, left the watch sitting on it's charger, turned charger on and off randomly over the 4 days, no set sequence or charge / no charge times... and it has sorted itself... go figure...so far so good....

Glad to hear. Hopefully it will stay okay.