Why do you need a smart watch or fitbit?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Watches

It’s kind of like asking why you would need a notebook computer when you already have a desktop computer. A few thoughts...
1. You can’t wear your iPhone or iPad on your wrist
2. Convenience of getting your notifications without having to take your iPhone out
3. Apple Watch can measure your activity, play music, and generally help you communicate while you’re engaging in activity that makes it difficult or inconvenient to keep your iPhone on you (i.e. biking, running, swimming, etc.)
I’m sure I’ll think of more.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
re:

They aren’t needed, but they add optional functionality that an iPhone alone cannot provide. (Mostly it’s the fitness detection provided by the heart sensor on these wearable devices, but for me I always wear a watch anyway, and I like also having discrete notifications and the ability to roam around without my phone on my person every waking minute.)

And of course there is a big story in the news where somebody’s Apple Watch ECG app clued him in to an unknown atrial fibrillation condition.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
re:

I wondered this very same thing for a couple of years. I'm not really into physical fitness and initially, I just didn't think it was for me. However, as I continued reading about Apple Watch Users great enthusiasm for their devices, I began to see the merits of having one. And so I asked for one for my big milestone birthday last April. I just wanted the basic watch... no cellular service. I didn't think that was necessary either. But my husband, who I've described as "frugal" disagreed. He thought that $10 a month extra on our data plan was money well spent and he convinced me to go for it.

So I did, and there's no turning back. To say I love it is an incredible understatement. There are so many things about it and I can't imagine not having it. One of the biggest benefits is that I am have become more conscientious about my personal fitness. As I mentioned earlier, I had a "milestone" birthday in April and I'm not getting any younger. Getting fit is essential. I'm not in the best shape, but I need to get a grip on it, and there's no time like the present. Another benefit, is that I no longer have my beloved iPhone clenched in my hands. It's so nice to be able to put it in my purse, and relax my fingers. I'm really not kidding here! And the most amazing thing is having the cellular service. It's come in handy many times. And when I forget my phone, which I've done a few times, it's awesome. So that pretty much sums up my personal experience.

And after all of that, there are amazing benefits available like the ECG. And it's exciting to think about what is coming next!!!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
re:

There is really not much need for a watch these days, I personally don’t like the things, I bash them or scratch them and they get caught on stuff. When sailing, and fishing salt water they are essential,I don’t do that any more so not. Fitness, you know if you are not ! ECG , I’m fed up with wasting half a day to be told nothing’s changed,I don’t need to be told that all the time! Notifications, now there’s a thing !I’ve got them all turned off on my phone, apart from the ring and text tones, I certainly don’t need something else to turn them off on.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

Didn't think I would need a smart watch, now I know better. Think it's awsome! Don't use it for fitness at all, use it for notifications and a specially at work. Think it's great not to have to take up my phone everytime it's vibrating, I can have a quick look at my watch to see if it was something important or not. It's also great for calendar notifications and to have a quick look at my agenda for the day.

Use mine everyday

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
No real need, but the apple watch adds a little convenience if you own an iPhone. i don't know about the fitbits.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
One of the main reasons for me is my step count. First, the iPhone in my pocket doesn't always record accurate steps. Second, many times throughout the day I walk from my desk out into our warehouse to look for an item and I don't always take my iPhone with me (since my S3 is on LTE) so my watch is my primary step keeper device.

But mainly......because it's a Series 3 Apple Watch on LTE.

'Nuff said!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Why do I need a smartwatch?

I don't. But I like it. I enjoy having my notifications on my wrist as well as my music controls. And the ability to take calls is nice. I also enjoy not needing to have my phone on my person to stay connected.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
My wife wears one all the time. She measures her steps, etc. I don’t get it. I walk a lot at work, do the stairs, I don’t need to know how many but that’s just me.

I’d rather wear one of my beautiful mechanical watches.

c4db09271f887143c7b91b72593a8c35.jpg

Stock photo, mine is on the way from Germany.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why is an Apple Watch or fitbit needed hen you already have the phone and ipad?

I don’t, and I didn’t buy the Watch solely for keeping track of the time. Having said that, I’m someone who has worn a watch since elementary school so I’m conditioned to look at my watch when I want to know the time and I often do so while being on my iPhone. That’s just how it is ‘for me’....

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don’t, and I didn’t buy the Watch solely for keeping track of the time. Having said that, I’m someone who has worn a watch since elementary school so I’m conditioned to look at my watch when I want to know the time and I often do so while being on my iPhone. That’s just how it is ‘for me’....

Yup if I leave the house without a watch on my wrist, I feel naked.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
You don’t need a watch of any kind if you have a phone in your pocket. I have bashed up and broken and drowned too many of the things, I went back to a pocket watch when I was doing building site work, and that’s fine, but I couldn’t find a shockproof one ! Fitbit ? if you can’t do it, that should tell you !

jakie55

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My situation is similar to many. I grew up wearing watches, so I feel undressed without one. I am also a geek/nerd, and enjoy tech. My drawer has two pebbles,
Moto 360, asus zen watch 2, and lastly, a Samsung S2, which is my current watch. I just moved from BlackBerry android to an IPhone X, so am seriously looking at the Apple Watch. I don’t drink, gamble, or game, so I rationalize that this one vice is okay.

jakie55

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My situation is similar to many. I grew up wearing watches, so I feel undressed without one. I am also a geek/nerd, and enjoy tech. My drawer has two pebbles,
Moto 360, asus zen watch 2, and lastly, a Samsung S2, which is my current watch. I just moved from BlackBerry android to an IPhone X, so am seriously looking at the Apple Watch. I don’t drink, gamble, or game, so I rationalize that this one vice is okay.

Ok. Add a S3 to my collection!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox