Apple ECG Notifies Man of AFib

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I saw that report on AppleInsider, too. The story mentioned that he had his wife try on the watch and it reported a normal rhythm for her. He also tried it out on his other wrist, and it again indicated his having A-fib.

Yep and in his Reddit post he shows the graph from the watch versus the big ECG at the doctors.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That’s crazy! Makes me want to get a Series 4. I’m in my upper 30’s here and let’s just say I’m not as fit as I could be.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That’s crazy! Makes me want to get a Series 4. I’m in my upper 30’s here and let’s just say I’m not as fit as I could be.

You’re nowhere near being obese. And if you move around enough on a daily basis, you shouldn’t be as worried as I believe you are now.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You’re nowhere near being obese. And if you move around enough on a daily basis, you shouldn’t be as worried as I believe you are now.

LOL thank you. I’m not necessarily worried but having a wife and kids, being the breadwinner, and getting older I think naturally creates a sense of concern. There are also things like family medical history to consider.
I’m convinced I’m going to die in a freak accident anyway. Unfortunately Apple has equipped Apple Watch with freak accident detection yet.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
LOL thank you. I’m not necessarily worried but having a wife and kids, being the breadwinner, and getting older I think naturally creates a sense of concern. There are also things like family medical history to consider.
I’m convinced I’m going to die in a freak accident anyway. Unfortunately Apple has equipped Apple Watch with freak accident detection yet.

I guess you’re forgetting about fall detection. Let’s say you get crushed by a meteorite, your watch will notify your Emergency Contacts and emergency services. Maybe you’ll survive. I hope you will.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess you’re forgetting about fall detection. Let’s say you get crushed by a meteorite, your watch will notify your Emergency Contacts and emergency services. Maybe you’ll survive. I hope you will.

LOL I’m afraid it will be too little too late at that point. Machine learning (i.e. incoming meteorite detection) has a little way to go.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
The guy posted it on reddit so I take anything said there with a grain of salt. But if it's true, it's a good story.

Supposedly he reached out to AppleInsider, or they to him, and they felt that in looking into his claims that he was being truthful about what he said had occurred.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The article is a little misleading.

The ECG app is only available with the new series 4 watch. But the only place that info is given is a 4 second clip during the entire 6 minute 49 second video.

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 5.17.09 PM.png

Not a big deal to us as we know it's S4 compatible only, but others may not know.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I got the series 4 for this feature, but when the health app asked if you’ve been diagnosed with A-Fib by a doctor and I said yes, it won’t check for it.
I’m on medication for SVT but it hasn’t always worked and has had to be adjusted multiple times, so I’m a little disappointed because I hoped it would catch it when the meds aren’t working. Maybe it will, just not sure how that will work.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I got the series 4 for this feature, but when the health app asked if you’ve been diagnosed with A-Fib by a doctor and I said yes, it won’t check for it.
I’m on medication for SVT but it hasn’t always worked and has had to be adjusted multiple times, so I’m a little disappointed because I hoped it would catch it when the meds aren’t working. Maybe it will, just not sure how that will work.

Will the Health app let you go back in and change your answer?

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
So I am seeing my electrophysiologist tomorrow for my 6 week check-up on my ablasion to hopefully correct my AFib. After they run the EKG, I am going to ask her to view my watch doing the ECG and if she sees that it's accurate or not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox