Remove Gold Stainless Steel Scratches without polish it ?

wind29

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi Everyone, I just wonder we can get rid of mini scratches from Gold Stainless Steel Apple Watch. I know that should not polish just like the way we do on normal stainless steel but what I can do with the scratches on Gold ... thanks 😊

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. Thanks for joining. I'm really not sure how to get scratches off the Apple Gold watch. Maybe someone who has a similar issue will chime in. Feel free to join in on the many threads throughout the iMore forum. Enjoy.

isen

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Can’t be done without compromising the gold finish. Enjoy the scratches. They add character to your watch.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Like Spencerdl, I have no idea, but it would concern me if polishing it compromised the finish. Wouldn't that suggest the gold is just added on top of the stainless steel? (i'm envisioning a spray-on!) If the gold finish can't be polished, can the space black be polished?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Like Spencerdl, I have no idea, but it would concern me if polishing it compromised the finish. Wouldn't that suggest the gold is just added on top of the stainless steel? (i'm envisioning a spray-on!) If the gold finish can't be polished, can the space black be polished?

space black can NOT be polished, it's a coating. not sure about the gold but wouldn't be surprised if it's a coating like space black.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
space black can NOT be polished, it's a coating. not sure about the gold but wouldn't be surprised if it's a coating like space black.

It is. Apple is using something called vapor coating for both the XS and Apple Watch gold.

Sources: https://www.imore.com/iphone-xs-colors]iMore for the XS

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have glass backs and stainless steel bands with a clear or vapor finish. Polished (silver) stainless steel can scratch. Vapor coating, like the black DLC (diamond-like) is much, much tougher. Still, all finishes can scratch over time.

https://daringfireball.net/2018/09/iphone_xs_xr_series_4_apple_watch_event]DaringFireball for the watch

The new gold stainless steel option is intriguing. It’s not my style, but I’m certain it’s going to be popular. I would describe it as being a non-blingy gold. It looks premium, not cheap in the least (which is how I feel about Apple’s gold anodized aluminum), but it’s not a Goldfinger gold-bars-in-Fort-Knox gold like the original Apple Watch Edition was. There’s a slight bit of brassiness to it and maybe a touch of pink. And the color exactly matches the gold iPhone XS and XS Max — I asked and Apple confirmed they’re using the exact same process on both.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It is. Apple is using something called vapor coating for both the XS and Apple Watch gold.

Sources: https://www.imore.com/iphone-xs-colors]iMore for the XS

https://daringfireball.net/2018/09/iphone_xs_xr_series_4_apple_watch_event]DaringFireball for the watch

Yeah looking at pictures of it, it looked like it might be like the space black.

Stainless Steel - can be polished
Stainless Gold - can not be polished
Stainless Space black - can not be polished

It's super easy to polish the SS with some Cape Cod wipes. I got the aluminum silver this time (had SS last time) mostly because it shouldn't show any scratches as much as the space gray. But having the SS was really nice because you can polish it like new in just a few minutes.

wind29

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your reply ... I guess what I should do ... once it gets many scratches, I am sure I am gonna use cape cod to polish it anyway and make it become silver model

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info doogald. I don't why I'm concerned, my stainless steel Apple watches have never even shown a scratch.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info doogald. I don't why I'm concerned, my stainless steel Apple watches have never even shown a scratch.

I had the original SS I just switched to the S4 and it had micro scratches all over it. Had to look close to see them but they were there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR