Is there the possibility of having notifications on the watch and iphone at the same time?

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I was wondering if in the future the possibility of having notifications on the watch and iphone at the same time. I really don't care to have my phone pretty much silenced when wearing the watch. Notifications on the watch have, at times, gone unnoticed. So I set the watch not to receive notifications. I would really like to have the option of having it on both devices concurrently.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
Re: Notifications On Watch and Iphone

Would that not be overkill?

I like how it is currently, and I simply make sure the haptic vibrations are 'strong' enough on the watch.
As a matter of fact I am in the process of setting up my AW4. So, I hope the same haptic options I had on my AW3, are available...
For some people, maybe. It would be a nice option. At work I am at times away from my phone and the watch loses the connection. The phone gets a notification and I don't know about it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I was wondering if in the future the possibility of having notifications on the watch and iphone at the same time. I really don't care to have my phone pretty much silenced when wearing the watch. Notifications on the watch have, at times, gone unnoticed. So I set the watch not to receive notifications. I would really like to have the option of having it on both devices concurrently.

A majority of the notifications I get are simultaneous with my  Watch and iPhone X.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site

A majority of the notifications I get are simultaneous with my  Watch and iPhone X.

Hopefully it's just a glitch. I was able to mess with the settings and at least get the phone to send audible notifications on both the phone and the watch for phone calls. With mail and messages, however, the best I could do is to have them just appear on the watch while the phone has the sounds and banners.
Other than that, the watch is really wonderful. This is my first Apple Watch.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
If you go into the Apple Watch app and go to passcode and turn off wrist detection both the watch and the phone will go off with vibration and sound. I hope that’s what you are looking for.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If you go into the Apple Watch app and go to passcode and turn off wrist detection both the watch and the phone will go off with vibration and sound. I hope that’s what you are looking for.

The downside to this is you watch never locks when you take it off. So someone else can pick it up and have access to it. Some don't care about that feature but I just wanted to point it out.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

If you mean sound and vibration - I agree. I would discretely like to select to have which notifications on which device, and, yes, have the option of having it be on both.

If you mean just the notification in the Notification Center, they always come to both for me by default.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The downside to this is you watch never locks when you take it off. So someone else can pick it up and have access to it. Some don't care about that feature but I just wanted to point it out.

And no Apple Pay. And no unlock a Mac while wearing the watch. (I do care about having people have access to my data if the watch was unlocked off my wrist by the way.)

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
And no Apple Pay. And no unlock a Mac while wearing the watch. (I do care about having people have access to my data if the watch was unlocked off my wrist by the way.)

Yea I don’t use Apple Pay on my watch or unlock anything. The only time the watch isn’t on my wrist is when I’m sleeping so I’m not too worried about anyone accessing any info from it.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site

Yea I never lock my watch anyway. I only use Apple Pay on my phone but I can definitely see not having that as a downside for some.

markinhfx

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
Yea I never lock my watch anyway. I only use Apple Pay on my phone but I can definitely see not having that as a downside for some.

As a new AW 4 user, I find this a huge shortcoming not getting notifications on both, I don't want to disable the wrist detection... I would love to find a workaround.....

borama

Feb 17, 2019
Visit site

That solves the silenced phone problem but disables the heart app and fall detection which some elderly folks need.

frozen111

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
Just to add a +1 to this, I can't believe Apple only gave users the option of 'either/or' - I need my phone to alert me to customers emails, and bought the Watch thinking it would be a simple case of 'watch does what phone does', except the wrist alert is a lot quieter than the 'u-boat sinking klaxon' that I need at night for customer messages, and doesn't cut it. I also have a heart issue, and wanted the heart monitor too, but have to pick - seems like an odd logic has been applied.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Just to add a +1 to this, I can't believe Apple only gave users the option of 'either/or' - I need my phone to alert me to customers emails, and bought the Watch thinking it would be a simple case of 'watch does what phone does', except the wrist alert is a lot quieter than the 'u-boat sinking klaxon' that I need at night for customer messages, and doesn't cut it. I also have a heart issue, and wanted the heart monitor too, but have to pick - seems like an odd logic has been applied.

Well, you can set mail to notifications off on the watch so they’ll go to the phone, if you really need it to be loud. Everything else can stay on the watch.

I’m close to doing that for message because I keep getting notified of message groups that I have set to hide alerts on the phone but notifications still come to the watch. It’s driving me crazy. I’ll have to see if watchOS 5.2 has fixed this issue.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods