sport band vs sport loop? help me decide

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I know I can swap out the bands any time, but for my initial order I can't decide silcon vs the sport loop. I have tried the loop in the store and it seems nice and comfortable, and I've used FitBit silicon type bands on my current Charge 2 that I'm using. The silicon type seems ok but stiff, not sure about the Apple version. I'm not sure how the band types would compare in long term all day comfort vs a 2 minute in store test though. Does the velcro eventually start wearing out or coming apart?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Does the velcro eventually start wearing out or coming apart?

I have had one since they first came out. In my experience, no.

What I do not like about the silicone band compared with the sport loop is that the closure is not as secure. It never came off me, but the velcro is much more secure as a closure. However, I think that the silicone band is more attractive than the sport loop, which frankly is a bit ugly IMO.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

What I do not like about the silicone band compared with the sport loop is that the closure is not as secure. It never came off me, but the velcro is much more secure as a closure. However, I think that the silicone band is more attractive than the sport loop, which frankly is a bit ugly IMO.

Ah interesting I watched a youtube review where the guy really like the colors speckled throughout the "black" sport loop (which I'd be getting with a SG watch). I'll have to check out my coworker's sport band on his series 2 and see the closure again. I do remember thinking they looked finicky to close etc. I'm used to a standard watch buckle on my FitBit.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I've had the watch since the first one and never had an issue with the silicone not being secure. What makes you say it's not?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had the watch since the first one and never had an issue with the silicone not being secure. What makes you say it's not?

If you are doing something with your hands (moving furniture, carrying other heavy object) and the end of the strap gets caught and pulled from the slot where it is secured, the strap can be grabbed and pulled from the closure pin. It's happened to me, though I caught the watch before it fell off my wrist. The velcro closure of the sport loop is a lot more secure IMO of those two strap types.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you are doing something with your hands (moving furniture, carrying other heavy object) and the end of the strap gets caught and pulled from the slot where it is secured, the strap can be grabbed and pulled from the closure pin. It's happened to me, though I caught the watch before it fell off my wrist. The velcro closure of the sport loop is a lot more secure IMO of those two strap types.

OK cool, just curious. Done a lot of that and never had an issue in 3 years but doesn't mean it couldn't happen. :)

I'm looking at the blue sport loop, just need to go to a store to see it in person.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Both is a good answer.

My wife mostly wears the velcro type for comfort and swaps the solid bands for variety. I'm the one in the family who wears the off white Nike type and think those are the most comfy of the solid types. I like the solid types for cleaning.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I have never had an issue with the watch coming off with the silicone band. And I’ve been in strong waves, pools, rock climbing, boating, basketball, football, furniture moving, etc. lol. I did have that initial concern when I first got my S3 because there wasn’t a clasp but it doesn’t go anywhere.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
If you are doing something with your hands (moving furniture, carrying other heavy object) and the end of the strap gets caught and pulled from the slot where it is secured, the strap can be grabbed and pulled from the closure pin.

So the lesson here is to not move heavy objects! :rotfl:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
When I got my S3 this past April, I ordered my Watch with the pink sand silicone band. I asked for the pink sand sports loop band as a birthday present. I thought I would wear the sports loop band the most, but I actually enjoy both. In addition to those, I have about 4 others that I've gotten from Amazon. It's an addiction, and I actually just ordered a black sports loop band from Amazon. It's got colored specs in it, which appealed to me. Now to tell my husband.... :rotfl:

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys, I ordered it with the sport loop. I do plan to get a variety of bands, I just needed to settle on one to start with while the numbers on the credit card get repaired lol. I think they melted off a bit ordering two watches.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When I got my S3 this past April, I ordered my Watch with the pink sand silicone band. I asked for the pink sand sports loop band as a birthday present. I thought I would wear the sports loop band the most, but I actually enjoy both. In addition to those, I have about 4 others that I've gotten from Amazon. It's an addiction, and I actually just ordered a black sports loop band from Amazon. It's got colored specs in it, which appealed to me. Now to tell my husband.... :rotfl:

how are the amazon sport loops in comparison to the apple ones? I've found the silicone to not be as nice (thinner) and the black one I had held lint while none of the other ones do. :confused:

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
how are the amazon sport loops in comparison to the apple ones? I've found the silicone to not be as nice (thinner) and the black one I had held lint while none of the other ones do. :confused:

They are fine, not much different. I'm now looking at maybe one of the leather loop.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
how are the amazon sport loops in comparison to the apple ones? I've found the silicone to not be as nice (thinner) and the black one I had held lint while none of the other ones do.

The midnight blue sports loop from Amazon is perhaps a tad thinner in thickness and width, but the Velcro holds up as well as Apple’s. With the exception of slightly lighter in weight, the silicone band is nearly identical in feel and fit. Perhaps it depends on who you buy them from on Amazon. The floral band is silicone too. It’s white on the back, and the design shows slight signs of wear, which isn’t surprising.

Here’s a picture:
446d04f6209925f144ade536f73cb159.jpg

The midnight blue silicone band is from Yanch; the midnight blue sports loop band is from Bea Fashion.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am on a keyboard a large part of my day.. so I can't / won't use any bands with metal at the base/clasp, it scratches the keyboard and/or the metal base of my laptop. It's a shame as I would like to use some nicer leather bands. I have standardized on the Catalyst Hypoallergenic Silicone Sports Band

Screenshot from Amazon.

2018-09-30_11-43-15.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am on a keyboard a large part of my day.. so I can't / won't use any bands with metal at the base/clasp, it scratches the keyboard and/or the metal base of my laptop. It's a shame as I would like to use some nicer leather bands. I have standardized on the Catalyst Hypoallergenic Silicone Sports Band

Screenshot from Amazon.

View attachment 124381

That looks really nice.