Heart Rate Monitor

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you noticed improvement in the heart rate monitor performance from version 1 (original version of the watch) to Watch 4? I am interested in accuracy, speed of response to changes in heart rate during workouts, continuity of readouts. I am considering upgrading from 1 to 4.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't say that I have. Heck, I found the heart rate monitor on my original Watch pretty accurate.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I would say yes, but I've been in AFib for two weeks so it's harder for me to tell you what's normal during workout. I do think it's more accurate, but if you're doing HIIT training you likely want to use a polar strap. The auto detection for workout is great and it is smoother bt connectivity to my headphones than my aw3 was.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing the watch still uses that same sensors as the original, so I don't expect accuracy to change. What HAS improved is the speed with which the app launches.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed a pretty good improvement with the heart rate sensor during workouts. With my series 2 and series 3, at least a few times per workout, I would have to adjust the band or take it off and clean off sweat so that it would work. I have had the S4 for a week now and have not had to do that one time. It seems to be more accurate as well. I’m just basing that on taking my own heart rate manually though so take that for what it’s worth.

Regardless, I have been very impressed with the AW4. I was not happy about paying more this time around, but I’ve gotten over it.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Being I am heart patient now, I have been looking at the newer 44mm stainless model and was wondering if anyone out there has the newer model and is a heart patient like me and do they use the heart monitor function regularly?

I am also wondering if there are there any watch apps that I could get to chart my heart rate over a day, week and a month?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Being I am heart patient now, I have been looking at the newer 44mm stainless model and was wondering if anyone out there has the newer model and is a heart patient like me and do they use the heart monitor function regularly?

I am also wondering if there are there any watch apps that I could get to chart my heart rate over a day, week and a month?

Heartwatch app is great, I've been using for A while but just went into AFib. I find the 4 very accurate and only think if you're doing interval training do you need a heart rate monitor. ECG Will be great

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Heartwatch app is great, I've been using for A while but just went into AFib. I find the 4 very accurate and only think if you're doing interval training do you need a heart rate monitor. ECG Will be great

I've had that before, need to try it against Cardiogram. Thanks for the reminder!

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I also have a heart condition, a type of AFib called SVT and I’m on medication for it. It took a few months of trial and error with medication to get it under control and my series 3 was helpful in monitoring that. That’s why I jumped on the 4 since it offers the coming EKG feature too.

I use an app called Cardiogram that is pretty good.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I also have a heart condition, a type of AFib called SVT and I’m on medication for it. It took a few months of trial and error with medication to get it under control and my series 3 was helpful in monitoring that. That’s why I jumped on the 4 since it offers the coming EKG feature too.

I use an app called Cardiogram that is pretty good.

Thanks for the information, I think I am going to go with the 44mm stainless model.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have Afib also. In fact I had "recorded" my heart rhythm with an APP and it showed my skipped beats. I took the recordings to my cardiologist and he blew them off. It wasn't until I was in the hospital for a bacterial blood infection that the doctors identified that I did Afib since I had complained about chest pain when I was in the ER and was wearing a monitor.

About a year later during my 6 month visit to my cardiologist that I brought up the question about the Apple Watch and again he blew it off. So for those of you who have heart problems and are under the care of a cardiologist have asked them what they think of this technology?

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
My cardiologist is intrigued by the ECG and thinks it can be helpful, but not the gospel. I can't believe your cardio was that dismissive.
Are you doing meds, cardio version or ablasion?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
its not as accurate as my chest strap, but it is much much closer than the original watches. I only use the Watch for tracking fitness now.

Bill James-Wallace

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm seeing my cardiologist in a couple of weeks after an episode this week. I hadn't worn my watch to bed but had I done so it would've alerted me with a HR of 158! Straight off to the ED and a hospital stay for a couple of days. In the ambulance, I was asked about the HR and I showed them my watch. They were pretty happy to accept it as a good guide! Also on Sunday the AW and doctor's HRM measured exactly the same, so I'm content to say its spot on.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting that you asked about workouts yet most of the responses are AFiB related... I do some kind of cardio almost daily, in varying degrees of intensity, so I'll be able to respond better this weekend (My AW4 comes today :)heart: :yes:)

Have you noticed improvement in the heart rate monitor performance from version 1 (original version of the watch) to Watch 4? I am interested in accuracy, speed of response to changes in heart rate during workouts, continuity of readouts. I am considering upgrading from 1 to 4.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR