Apple has officially stopped supporting the 1st gen Apple Watch. I have downloaded iOS 12 on my 7Plus and went to update my 42mm stainless and nope, my watch doesn’t support watchOS 5. Going on my 3rd year owning an accessory that I though would have lasted a bit longer. The cost of doing business with Apple is really starting to get out of hand.
    09-17-2018 08:12 PM
    To be fair, I have a 1st gen watch and I’m not that disappointed that it’s no longer supported. You can’t expect Apple to evolve the operating system but still support aging hardware forever.

If you buy a classic car it’s not going to return modern performance like 0-60 times or miles per gallon figures comparable to a modern car. It won’t come with all the mod cons of a modern car either.

My Apple Watch does what I need it to do, if a time comes where there’s a reason to upgrade then I will but I’m not miserable that it’s not getting watch OS 5
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-18-2018 03:17 AM
    To be fair, I have a 1st gen watch and I’m not that disappointed that it’s no longer supported. You can’t expect Apple to evolve the operating system but still support aging hardware forever.

If you buy a classic car it’s not going to return modern performance like 0-60 times or miles per gallon figures comparable to a modern car. It won’t come with all the mod cons of a modern car either.

My Apple Watch does what I need it to do, if a time comes where there’s a reason to upgrade then I will but I’m not miserable that it’s not getting watch OS 5
    When you pay almost $700 for a watch, you would expect to get at least 5-6 years of software support. iOS supports iPhones from 2013, macOS supports macs from 2012. The price you pay for Apple and why you choose Apple is for the longevity of their products and support. It’s hard to justify spending that kind of money on something that will only last a couple years. The competition has more to offer at more affordable pricing.

Classic cars hold their value for a reason. People pay for originality and any type of upgrades causes that value to drop. With electronics, the longer they’re supported the more they’re worth because they’re tools we use everyday.
    09-18-2018 05:00 AM
    When you pay almost $700 for a watch, you would expect to get at least 5-6 years of software support. iOS supports iPhones from 2013, macOS supports macs from 2012. The price you pay for Apple and why you choose Apple is for the longevity of their products and support. It’s hard to justify spending that kind of money on something that will only last a couple years. The competition has more to offer at more affordable pricing.

Classic cars hold their value for a reason. People pay for originality and any type of upgrades causes that value to drop. With electronics, the longer they’re supported the more they’re worth because they’re tools we use everyday.
    The watch will get security updates, I don’t have any doubt about that. But new features and such aren’t something I’d expect on a three year old watch. That simply requires too much from the hardware that isn’t there on those first gen watches.
    09-18-2018 05:11 AM

Each to their own. I accept that my original Apple Watch has come to the end of its life as far as software updates and new features go.

You have to consider that the original watch was a first generation. Big advances in hardware have come since then, there’s no point in innovating the hardware if you’re going to hold it back with software.

For you it may be an issue. For me my Apple Watch will still do all I need it to via Watch OS 4.

The other thing to consider is that it is the huge number of people who upgrade annually who allow Apple to take this approach. If people weren’t swapping their series 3 watches for series 4 right now then Apple wouldn’t be innovating in such a way that the OS has become too demanding for the original hardware.
    09-18-2018 05:40 AM
    When you pay almost $700 for a watch, you would expect to get at least 5-6 years of software support. iOS supports iPhones from 2013, macOS supports macs from 2012.
    The original Apple Watch is comparable to the original iPhone, which stopped receiving iOS updates in 2010, after three years. Maybe you expected longer watchOS updates, but there is nothing that required Apple to do so. And I am sure that you'd be hugely angry if it did received an update to watchOS but was so overwhelmed that performance was unacceptable.

As it is, the watch continues to work fine on watchOS 4, it continues to pair to any iPhone from the 5s on that is running iOS 11 or iOS 12. You can still use it just fine.

How many updates did the original Android watches get by the way? I believe it was pretty similar?

The price you pay for Apple and why you choose Apple is for the longevity of their products and support. It’s hard to justify spending that kind of money on something that will only last a couple years. The competition has more to offer at more affordable pricing.
    Apple has always been premium priced. But, tell Apple how you feel the only way that you can - don't buy their products, particularly if they are over-priced compared with the competition. If that is the case in your eyes, then you should buy the competition instead.

The watch will get security updates, I don’t have any doubt about that.
    I'm not so sure of that. iOS versions do not get updates after the newer release comes out, or at least haven't for years. The last iOS 10 update was August 2017, the last iOS 9 update was July 2016, and there are devices (iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPad 2, iPad 3) that are stuck on these older versions.

But I'm not so sure what the security vector would be on a watch. It has no web browser, it has no way to install any apps by itself. Maybe a BT hijack, but that's about it.
    09-18-2018 05:49 AM
    I have no doubt Apple can see what devices are currently in use worldwide. There may be such a low number of original Apple Watches in use that Apple made the decision it wasn't worth developing.

I have an original AW and have no issued with OS5 not going on it. I also have an S2 and three S3's.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-18-2018 08:09 AM
    The original Apple Watch is comparable to the original iPhone, which stopped receiving iOS updates in 2010, after three years. Maybe you expected longer watchOS updates, but there is nothing that required Apple to do so. And I am sure that you'd be hugely angry if it did received an update to watchOS but was so overwhelmed that performance was unacceptable.

As it is, the watch continues to work fine on watchOS 4, it continues to pair to any iPhone from the 5s on that is running iOS 11 or iOS 12. You can still use it just fine.

How many updates did the original Android watches get by the way? I believe it was pretty similar?

Apple has always been premium priced. But, tell Apple how you feel the only way that you can - don't buy their products, particularly if they are over-priced compared with the competition. If that is the case in your eyes, then you should buy the competition instead.

I'm not so sure of that. iOS versions do not get updates after the newer release comes out, or at least haven't for years. The last iOS 10 update was August 2017, the last iOS 9 update was July 2016, and there are devices (iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPad 2, iPad 3) that are stuck on these older versions.

But I'm not so sure what the security vector would be on a watch. It has no web browser, it has no way to install any apps by itself. Maybe a BT hijack, but that's about it.
    They could do a security update should something arise to make it so.
    10-18-2018 09:54 AM