• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
    Hi. I was having a discussion with friends about the first-gen Watch being obsolete with the release of watchOS 5.

They say that the first-gen not supporting makes the first-gen obsolete, especially considering that you paid $400 or even more for it, which I don’t agree with.

In my opinion the first-gen will be obsolete when you can’t even be able to sync it to your device or when the battery is due for a replacement and Apple won’t do it anymore after, let’s say, 8 years from the initial launch day of it.

Again in my opinion, as long as you can do the stuff on it you could do on launch day, the Watch wont be obsolete.

What say you?
    1: How long will Apple offer support for pairing it to a future iPhone?
    2: How long will Apple offer tech support for the battery?
    Last edited by Tartarus; 07-10-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    Spencerdl and Just_Me_D like this.
    07-10-2018 03:35 PM
    These are interesting points of view. I personally think that a 3 year life span of total compatibility for a $400+ Apple Watch isn't that great. The upcoming iOS 12 is even going to be compatible and support the 5s (rumor) which will be close to if not a 5 year life span. I guess one of my concerns is if the world of Tech is moving to fast for my bank account to keep up...LOL.
    I do understand that my original series Apple Watch will work with newer iOS's, but at what cost. Losing a total compatible with newer iPhones and iOS's with a 3 year old watch,...$400+ sounds about right.
    I do understand what you mean when you say/ask, can it still do what it did on launch day? Yes, if you also don't update your Apple Watch OS. I guess that doesn't matter in the long term and life of the watch?
    I ask if Apple continues along this path, will they eventually price themselves out of the market. Does having the latest and greatest Apple product mean that much? To some I suppose so and to others not so much. I guess if I want to keep up I have to start saving not only for a new iPhone, but a new Apple Watch on a yearly basis...rant over.
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-10-2018 05:43 PM
    $400 for 3 years of use for any piece of wearable technology is fantastic in 2018. Considering this is something that is probably worn 18 hours a day, every single day, you have to see the cost benefit of it. It sucks, but that’s the world we live in now. If we want new features and abilities, technology will begin to become obsolete at around 3 years.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    07-10-2018 05:47 PM
    My viewpoint is exactly the same as yours, especially being that our usage with it appear quite similar.
    Tartarus and Spencerdl like this.
    07-10-2018 08:41 PM
    I am thinking 3 to 5 years for my watch but I got three months ago. It’s a series 3. However, with the release of new models, interest and temptation for newer models could change that perspective! Will my watch be obsolete in 3-5 years? Probably not. but I always said that about my iPhones and I seem to go about every two years with them. So I maintain that while the watch could-should last at least 3-5 years!
    07-10-2018 09:33 PM
    For me it’s not so much how long will Apple support it as it is the benefits and new features of a new model. The benefits of the Series 3 over first gen was enough for me to get a Series 3. However, I basically got my first gen free, won that fancy iMore contest a few years back. Since I had to buy my Series 3 at full cost, I’ll likely hold onto it longer. We’ll see though.
    Spencerdl and Premium1 like this.
    07-10-2018 09:40 PM
    I also think it depends on how you use it. I use Outlook very often on my phone during meetings. I reply quickly to texts. I leave my phone behind when I go for runs, or to the beach, or kayaking. I play Pokémon Go on it. I track my P90X workouts. I play StepBet games relying on it. I literally use it every second that it’s on me. That’s an incredible return if it lasts me 3 years.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    07-10-2018 10:12 PM
    Good responses. Keep em' coming. Interesting views. The days of keeping products a lifetime has certainly past. We are a people of throw away after 3 to 5 years now compared to our Parents and Grand Parents that kept stuff for years and years. I know theres a watch somewhere in my house that I purchased with my first couple of paychecks when I first started working in the 70's. I have stuff in my home that is at least 100 years of age past down through my family. Those days are certainly gone.
    Tartarus and nikkisharif like this.
    07-11-2018 07:26 AM
    Satisfied with what you have? Keep using it until it actually breaks down and/or becomes unusable. So you can't update to the VERY latest OS and your device does not have the latest features, as LONG as (as someone else said) it continues to sync with your phone AND otherwise work, keep using it.

IF on the other hand you want features only available on later models, such as GPS or LTE, then you must upgrade.

For now I'm just keeping my original Apple Watch. As a reserve I also have a TicWatch 2 which works on iOS AND Android.
    07-11-2018 08:18 AM
    To me, I just need it to work with my phone for as long as AppleCare lasts. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

(I’m still not sure if I will buy another Apple Watch. I’ll keep wearing this daily as long as it works, but I’ll decide if it’s worth spending $400-ish as long as it lasts.)
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-11-2018 09:14 AM
    In the realm of tech I subscribe to the definition of obsolete as no longer being supported.

That doesn't mean that it stops doing everything or anything it did out of the box. It just means not going forward on the Road of Tech Mandalay.

Some people seem to think it means 'stops working' as opposed to 'no longer works with our new game plan'.

When a Watch is no longer supported, it may be neigh impossible to get the battery replaced. So though replaced in the lineup with a newer model, it may still to the job for which it was first purchased. Up until when it doesn't.
    07-12-2018 03:02 PM