I was just looking at the support page - community - on the Apple website. I was shocked to see that many people have experienced their Apple Watch screen shatter for no apparent reason. Has anyone here had that happen? Apple is blaming user abuse.
    06-26-2018 08:53 AM
    I've had the original series Watch and am currently wearing the Series 3 model with out any protection whatsoever, and I've yet to experience a shattered screen on either of them. I'm with Apple on this one. I refuse to believe they just shattered on their own.
    06-26-2018 09:04 AM
    Granted, I'm a relatively new Apple Watch user, but this seems hard to believe!
    06-26-2018 09:06 AM
    It has not happened to me, but I know it happens often enough (from reading reddit in particular). The glass is probably relatively thin, in order to be touch capable, and even if you have the more scratch-resistant sapphire glass on the stainless and edition models, sapphire glass is more brittle, so more fragile.

I would have LOVED a raised bezel around the watch (as most "real" watches have) to help protect the crystal from accidental strikes with hard surfaces. Less pretty, more functional.
    06-26-2018 09:16 AM
    I've dropped my Series 2 onto the floor of my home previously at a height of around 3 to 4ft, screen down and it hasn't shattered, nor even has a chip on it. Using SS one.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-27-2018 08:06 PM
    I've dropped my Series 2 onto the floor of my home previously at a height of around 3 to 4ft, screen down and it hasn't shattered, nor even has a chip on it. Using SS one.
    The SS has the sapphire glass which is much stronger against scratching and breaks. A huge advantage. When I had the sport, my glass would start showing micro scratches everywhere. I’ve had my series 2 SS for a year and a half and not a single micro scratch.
    06-27-2018 08:33 PM
    The SS has the sapphire glass which is much stronger against scratching and breaks.
    As I said above, sapphire glass, though more scratch-resistant, is more brittle than the "ion-x" glass that Apple uses in the aluminum models, so should be more rather than less prone to shatter. So, stronger against scratching, probably not against breaks.
    06-28-2018 05:38 AM
    As I said above, sapphire glass, though more scratch-resistant, is more brittle than the "ion-x" glass that Apple uses in the aluminum models, so should be more rather than less prone to shatter. So, stronger against scratching, probably not against breaks.
    The SS has the sapphire glass which is much stronger against scratching and breaks. A huge advantage. When I had the sport, my glass would start showing micro scratches everywhere. I’ve had my series 2 SS for a year and a half and not a single micro scratch.
    Yes precisely. the sapphire glass is more susceptible to shatters and at that time when it dropped, my heart stopped and I thought ‘it’s finished’.

Fortunately, not a scratch and from then on I’ve been extremely careful handling it.
    06-28-2018 08:36 AM